Kathleen Dickson Told To Stop making threats online by Judge

1 view

Charles P. Adams.. Elected newsgroup leader since 1997

Aug 30, 2007, 4:54:52 PM8/30/07
http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc-neblyme1005.artoct05,0,3288409.s...

CONNECTICUT NEWS

Lyme Disease Activist Told To Stop
Judge Offers To Let Charges Drop
October 5, 2005
By HILDA MUÑOZ, Courant Staff Writer NEW BRITAIN -- A 47-year-old
woman accused of threatening an assistant attorney general may have
harassment charges against her dropped if she stops barraging state
officials with information about Lyme disease.

Superior Court Judge Patrick Clifford said Tuesday that Kathleen
Dickson's criminal case will end if she discontinues a massive e-mail
and fax campaign detailing her complaints about the scientific
community's approach to fighting Lyme disease.

"I'm willing to let my activist friends take over," Dickson said.

In 2003, the Department of Children and Families removed Dickson's
children from her custody because the department contended that she
was

spending so much time campaigning for changes in Lyme disease care
that

she neglected their needs, Dickson said. Dickson and her children
have
Lyme disease.

Dickson went to court to regain custody, but Assistant Attorney
General

Jessica Gauvin successfully argued that the children should be in the
custody of Dickson's ex-husband.

Dickson was arrested in 2004 after allegedly deluging Gauvin with
insulting and threatening e-mails. She was charged with two counts of
second-degree harassment and one count of second-degree threatening
and

was granted accelerated rehabilitation, a special form of probation.

Gauvin told police that she had received approximately 600 e-mails,
one

of which said, "IF ANY HARM comes to my children, Jessica Gauvin
could
get the death penalty and I will never let up. ..."

Dickson is also accused of mailing Gauvin a package of information
that

included a map with directions to Gauvin's home, according to an
arrest

affidavit.

Dickson claimed Gauvin lied during the custody hearing and lied to
police about the e-mails.

One of the conditions of Dickson's probation was that she was to show
her probation officer any e-mails or faxes to state agencies before
she

sent them out. But she violated that condition by faxing hundreds of
pages on Lyme disease to the chief state's attorney's office and the
attorney general's office, Deputy Assistant State's Attorney Brett
Salafia said.