Persing's Conflict of Interests

Kathleen

Jul 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/30/00
Thy took thie link off their home page

about corixa: management team
AltaVista: Not Pictured: Gary Christianson Vice President,
Technical
Operations—Corixa Montana David Fanning Vice President, Business
Development
Maureen...
Infoseek: Not Pictured: Gary Christianson Vice President,
Technical
Operations—Corixa Montana David Fanning Vice President, Business
Development
Maureen Howard, Ph.D. Vice President and Director, Autoimmune ...
Google: ...General Counsel, Secretary **David Persing, M.D.,
Ph.D.** Vice...
718, http://www.corixa.com/about/manage.htm (AltaVista, Infoseek,
Google) | More Like This

He get's like a $100,000 grant every year from Corixa
and stock grants every year. But that info is off

----------------
Print this out before they take it off the web.

http://www.mayo.edu/clin-micro/c.v./dhp-cv.html

Corixa Corporation
4/1/96 to present (renewable biannually)
Identification of Microbial Biomolecules with Novel Immunologic
Properties
P.I.: David H. Persing, M.D., Ph.D.
$50,000 per year, direct costs, in addition to company stock and royalty
sharing

Chiron Corporation
Molecular Diagnostic Assay Development Award
12/1/92 - present (renewable yearly)
Co-investigator: David H. Persing, M.D., Ph.D.
Co-investigator portion: $104,000 per year, direct costs

So, Imugen and CORIXA are partners,
Imugen is using Persing's patented method
of detection with OSP A-less Bb exposure.

Persing is on the board and receives
stock every year from CORIXA plus a
biannually renewable grant.

So, He's gonna say there's seronegative Lyme?
I don't think so.

Corixa and Imugen wouldn't like it very much.

http://www.mayo.edu/comm/mcr/news/news_361.html

Mayo Clinic Rochester News

Tuesday, August 4, 1998

New Tests Set Standard for Diagnosing Lyme Disease

ROCHESTER, MINN. — Mayo Medical Laboratories and IMUGEN Inc.
announced today the newest and most accurate test series
available for diagnosing Lyme disease. The tests also are
the only reliable means of diagnosing Lyme disease in people
who have been vaccinated against Lyme disease.

Mayo Medical Laboratories, the laboratory for Mayo Clinic,
and IMUGEN Inc. of Norwood, Mass., are jointly offering the
new proprietary tests through local hospitals and clinics.
Availability of the new tests coincides with the anticipated
release of new Lyme disease vaccines, such as the widely-
publicized LYMErix and ImuLyme.

In research trials, all other Lyme tests have been shown to
produce false-positive results in people vaccinated against
Lyme disease. Moreover, the downstream costs of medical care
delivered on the basis of just one false-positive Lyme test
can be as much as $15,000.

According to Dr. David Persing, a Mayo Clinic molecular
biologist involved in the discovery of the new test components,
physicians now have a new and more reliable means of diagnosing
patients who present with symptoms of Lyme disease.

"These tests should help reduce the human and financial
costs associated with the number of undiagnosed, misdiagnosed,
untreated or improperly treated patients," Dr. Persing added.

Scientists at IMUGEN, recognized nationally as the leading
reference laboratory for tick-borne diseases, are responsible
for developing the highly accurate immunologic methods to utilize Dr.
Persing’s discovery.

"Diagnosing Lyme disease has been highly problematic
for a long time," said Victor Berardi, chief executive officer
of IMUGEN, whose laboratories have performed more than a
half-million Lyme disease tests. "Our new tests will greatly
help physicians in distinguishing patients who are actually
infected from those who aren’t. Furthermore, the accuracy of
these tests will not be affected by Lyme vaccine.
In any case, the tests will help physicians render more
appropriate and cost effective care."

Lyme disease is a tick-borne illness that if left undiagnosed
or untreated can severely damage the human heart and nervous
system. Nationally more than 16,000 cases of Lyme disease were
reported to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
(CDC) in 1996. The majority of cases were reported in
New England and the Northeast. The CDC reports that
the overall number of Lyme disease cases could
climb to 25,710 by the year 2000.

In a study of 10,936 people in states with a high
incidence of Lyme disease, one new vaccine proved 79
percent effective at preventing Lyme disease infections
after complete dosage. Given the potential popularity of
the vaccine, and the recent epidemic of Lyme disease in
the Northeast, the new tests offered by Mayo Medical
Laboratories and IMUGEN will be of considerable value.

The new Lyme disease tests detect multiple classes of
antibody isotypes, enabling them to discriminate between
the vaccine and a true Lyme infection. Existing Lyme
disease tests, however, have shown to produce false-positive
results in patients vaccinated for Lyme disease.

IMUGEN Inc. of Norwood, Mass., is a pioneer in
the research, development and testing of tick-borne
diseases, including Lyme disease, babesiosis and
ehrlichiosis. For the past decade, IMUGEN has
provided clinics and hospitals in the Northeast with
high-quality serologic testing from its facilities in
Norwood, Mass., and Southhampton Hospital in
Southhampton, N.Y. For more information, call 781-255-0770.

Mayo Medical Laboratories is the laboratory for Mayo Clinic
and provides lab services to community-based healthcare
organizations throughout the nation and world. Mayo Medical
Laboratories draws from the expertise of Mayo Clinic’s
1,600 physicians and scientists who provide specialized
consultation on test selection, utilization and interpretation.
For information, call 800-533-1710.

###

Contact:
Tom Huyck
507-284-0003 (days)
507-284-2511 (evenings)
-------------------------
They stick us with the crummy archaeic Western Blot
and ELISA for ever. Tell me that doesn't smell
like something foul in the state of Lyme?

They are going to look further into determining
the cause of immune dysregulation by looking at
the profile of immune cells and work backwards.

***If this is true, it might
someday be possible even before a pathogen is known to be able
to categorize it by the host's cytokine or chemokine expression.**

But he's worried about spending 15,000
on a false positive for Lyme Puh-Lease!

http://www.cap.org/html/publications/archive/marchcover.html

Dr. Persing's laboratory is in the process of implementing
Affymetrix's microarray for detecting HIV drug resistance
mutations. "I think this technology is going to have a major
impact," he says. "It offers the potential to put a huge
amount of information on a chip-to analyze an almost unlimited
number of genes. For the first time I can see it might be
possible to do a complicated drug resistance pattern
on a variety of organisms on a single chip." One possibility
would be to analyze HIV drug resistance
plus host CCR-5 receptor status on the same chip.

"An area that we are particularly interested in," Dr. Persing
continues, "is whether we can diagnose infections by looking at
the host response. We think it is quite possible that a viral
infection will evoke a different host response from a bacterial
infection and that different viral infections may evoke different
someday be possible even before a pathogen is known to be able
to categorize it by the host's cytokine or chemokine expression.***
Dr. Persing thinks this method might be especially useful in
neonates or in ICU patients, in whom a wide variety of infections
can produce the same clinical picture.
----------------------

Kathleen

Jul 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/30/00
Kathleen wrote:

> Thy took thie link off their home page
>
> about corixa: management team
> AltaVista: Not Pictured: Gary Christianson Vice President,
> Technical
> Operations—Corixa Montana David Fanning Vice President, Business
> Development
> Maureen...
> Infoseek: Not Pictured: Gary Christianson Vice President,
> Technical
> Operations—Corixa Montana David Fanning Vice President, Business
> Development
> Maureen Howard, Ph.D. Vice President and Director, Autoimmune ...
> Google: ...General Counsel, Secretary **David Persing, M.D.,
> Ph.D.** Vice...
> 718, http://www.corixa.com/about/manage.htm (AltaVista, Infoseek,
> Google) | More Like This
>
> He get's like a $100,000 grant every year from Corixa
> and stock grants every year. But that info is off

Correction $50,000 from Corixa

RMAgricola

Aug 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/4/00
Good going Kathleen. The more we learn about conflict of interests the better
armed we will be.

Martha A.

Kathleen

Aug 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/4/00

He doesn't work for the Mayo
Clinic anymore. He's on the
board at CORIXA, who is on partnersgip
with Imugen, who uses his patented
bug to WB patients who have already
had the vaccine, to which Schoen
recommends docs should send their
patient bloodwork who are sick
after the vaccine, but after he says
patients should **not be tested** at all
in Evan's ACP book for physicians
regarding Lyme disease.

Sounds Typically Fraudelent to me.

Sloop...@webtv.net

Aug 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/6/00
<<He doesn't work for the Mayo
Clinic anymore. He's on the
board at CORIXA, who is on partnersgip
with Imugen, who uses his patented
bug to WB patients who have already
had the vaccine, to which Schoen
recommends docs should send their
patient bloodwork who are sick
after the vaccine...>>

This almost sounds like an old nursery rhyme.....

This is the house that lyme built...

These are the docs that live in the house that lyme built,

These are the labs that do the testing for the docs who live in the
house that lyme built,

These are the tests that are done by the labs that do the testing for
the docs who live in the house that lyme built,

These are the bugs that are used in the tests done by the labs that do
the testing for the docs who live in the house that lyme built,

This is the vaccine to combat the bugs used in the tests that are done
by the labs that do the testing for the docs who live in the house that
lyme built,

These are the crippled folk who got the vaccine and now test positive
for the bugs used in the tests that are done by the labs who do the
testing for the docs who live in the house that lyme built......

These are the lawyers who work for the crippled folk who got the vaccine
who now test positive for the bugs used in the tests that are done by
the labs who do the testing for the docs who live in the house that lyme

This is the lawsuit brought by the lawyers who work for the crippled
folk who got the vaccine who now test positive for the bugs used in the
tests that are done by the labs who do the testing for the docs who live
in the house that lyme built.....

And so it goes.........

Debi