dental insurance suggestion

Frank

Jul 14, 2021, 12:12:31 PM7/14/21
Former employer dropped subsidy for dental insurance. Only had choice
of two policies and took one with Humana for $20 a month that basically
only paid for twice a year cleanings and xrays at my dentist. Mentioned
here it was a shock to have to pay $2,000 for a new partial. Work on
teeth was not needed, just broke old one.

Next year, I see numerous policies to chose from. Dentist says he will
take any plan so am looking for suggestions. That appliance was about
all I needed in over 5 years but never know what to expect.

Steven Bornfeld

Jul 14, 2021, 3:21:51 PM7/14/21
Self-purchased dental plans almost never make sense. An insurance
company is not going to pay out more than it takes in in premiums. With
a large group, the insurance company knows that a certain percentage
will never even go to the dentist. People who buy individual plans
generally know they have significant dental needs. The only advantage is
if a dentist participates in the plan, the fee may be reduced. But when
you look at the yearly maximum benefits, deductibles and copays, it is
almost impossible to get over on an insurance company.
Look at your average yearly dental expenses over several years; then
look at the premium dollars you will pay for a year. Then look at the
benefit for (for example) that partial denture you say you need. Most
plans cover prosthetic devices like dentures at a lower rate (usually
50%) than they cover other services. See how much benefit you will get,
compared to your premium.

Steve

Frank

Jul 15, 2021, 8:58:50 AM7/15/21
Thanks, Steve, and I know that about any insurance. Including subsidy
it was costing about $240 a year and I doubt that dentist would charge
less than this for two cleanings and xrays in a year. So I am thinking
of getting a similar policy and seeing some that seem as low a cost as
what i had and partially cover additional work. I think that is what I
am looking for.

Unlike medical insurance I could afford any dental work. Last year
without medicare and supplemental it might have cost me half a million
dollars which could never happen with dental.

Frank

Tin@

Nov 21, 2021, 11:59:34 PM11/21/21
I run a dental office and what I tell people looking to buy private insurance is, take the money you would spend to have the plan and put it in a savings account. IF you need it, its there, if you don't, you still have your money. The other part of a private plan is they always have waiting periods, sometimes up to 12 months, because they dont want you to get everything done and then drop the plan. I would never suggest a private plan.

Frank

Nov 23, 2021, 12:30:16 PM11/23/21
Thanks. I was in a quandary but decided to just continue with current
plan. It does completely cover the two cleanings and one xray I get
every year and with dental costs around here I believe these costs would
exceed cost of insurance. I also recently had a cavity filled and found
it does cover about half the cost. I know other coverage is zilch and I
can afford whatever else I might need.

Tin@

Nov 28, 2021, 11:11:17 AM11/28/21
Can I ask what you pay per month?

Frank

Nov 28, 2021, 7:06:43 PM11/28/21
I believe it is about $23. Former employer had been subsidizing
$200.yr. Company had just been supplying the insurance but switched
several years ago to annual subsidy with us have to purchase insurance
through their assigned agency. I quit my old dentist at the time when
he said he required a 20% copay for six month cleanings and xrays.
Between wife and I we saved a couple of hundred dollars with the new
dentist that does not require copay.

I know a lot of people go without dental insurance as unlike health
insurance a big bill will not bankrupt you.

Tin@

Jan 21, 2022, 8:47:22 PM1/21/22
Not taking co-pays is illegal.