Comment Of The Day: “Comment Of The Day: ‘Theater Ethics Meets Pandemic Ethics…’”

Michael Ejercito

Aug 11, 2021, 9:48:31 AM8/11/21
http://ethicsalarms.com/2021/08/11/comment-of-the-day-comment-of-the-day-theater-ethics-meets-pandemic-ethics/

Comment Of The Day: “Comment Of The Day: ‘Theater Ethics Meets Pandemic
Ethics…’”
AUGUST 11, 2021 / JACK MARSHALL

It has been a hugely informative and entertaining knockdown, drag-out
comment battle over vaccine hesitancy the last few days on not just one
but two posts on the topic. It’s time to add another. One irony of long
comment threads, which make me happy as a blog proprietor, is that many
readers don’t have the patience to pick through them. I’m sometimes
guilty of that myself.

This Comment of the Day by Ryan Harkins on Humble Talent’s own
provocative (to understate it) Comment Of The Day on my post, “Theater
Ethics Meets Pandemic Ethics: If I Were Still Running My Theater Company
And We Had A Large Cast Show In Production…” deserves to be highlighted.
Here it is (and I forgive Ryan for not calling the virus by it’s
rightful, earned non-partisan name.)

***

First, I want to take exception to conflating hesitancy to take the
COVID-19 vaccines and anti-vaxxers. There’s a huge difference between
being skeptical about one particular vaccine and being skeptical about
all vaccines. And conflating the two blurs the issues and dismisses out
of hand legitimate arguments and concerns.

I stand in an odd position, because I oppose getting any of the COVID-19
vaccines, and I have been vaccinated. I took the double doses of the
Moderna vaccine when it became available at my workplace. Was it to
protect my family (my wife is pregnant with our fourth)? Not at all.
We’re all healthy, and the odds of the coronavirus having any effect
other than a harsh cold for my household is surprisingly small. Was it
because my workplace pressured me into it? No, though I will cite that
the 14 days paid sick time goes away if I snag a sufficiently large
batch of SARS-CoV-2 and I’m not vaccinated.

So why did I get the vaccine? At the time, I believed it the right thing
to do to help the efforts of reaching herd immunity. So what has changed
since then? Let’s consider my thinking, meandering as it is.

I don’t think there’s any legitimate argument against the efficacy of
the vaccines, especially the Moderna and Pfizer variants. I agree they
reduce the infection rate, they reduce the virulence of infections, and
they reduce the death rates. I also think, from a standpoint of trying
to reach heard immunity, the vaccines go a good way towards
accomplishing that.

Do I support people in their hesitancy with regards to the long-term
side effects? Absolutely. We’ve had tremendous success with vaccines
over the course of the last century or more. Vaccines are one aspect
that has helped us achieve such extended lifespans. But we’ve also seen
drugs and vaccines and therapies come onto the market, and then have
their approval revoked when some unanticipated side effects emerge. mRNA
vaccines have been under development for 20 years or more, but until now
they’ve never been marketed. There’s bound not only to be side-effects,
but a large number of unanticipated side-effects, and it is reasonable
to want to wait until more information is available. Certainly an FDA
approval (which is rumored to be coming soon for Pfizer) would go a long
way to assuage fears. Until then, it is reasonable to wait. But that’s
not the reason I’m opposed to taking the vaccines.

Do I look at the numbers? Yes, I do. Does it appear that currently there
are higher rates of side-effects reported than for any other vaccine in
recent history? Yes. VAERS is seeing a surge in reporting on the
COVID-19 vaccines. AstraZeneca and Johnson and Johnson were halted in
places over concerns of larger-than-expected numbers of side-effects.
Does this justify not getting the vaccine? Not necessarily. This is a
balancing act. If the side-effects of the vaccine are less frequent in
cases and severity than acquiring COVID-19 naturally, then the numbers
still recommend the vaccine. And I believe the numbers currently show
the balance to be in favor of the vaccines. This could potentially flip
with the Delta, Lambda, Omicron, Babylon 5, or Death Star variants, but
we still have to wait for time and data to reveal what’s happening
there. So that’s also not my reason for opposition.

So why I am opposed to getting the vaccine? In true “Retards for
Freedom” [Editor’s Note: this is a reference to Humble Talent’s COTD.]
fashion, I’ll cite freedom. Not from a standpoint of my-body-my-choice,
because I don’t believe that. (I oppose abortion, remember?) It doesn’t
pass a societal test, and it doesn’t pass the Catholic moral theology
test. But there’s a greater concern going on here, and I believe it is
encapsulated in the vaccine passports and the threat to freedom that
represents. Vaccine passports are the gateway drug into the full
oppression of a populace. Show your party credentials, or you’ll be
thrown out. We’re already seeing that New York. No restaurant access
without the passport. And if the government can get away with forcing
such passports on us, do you really, truly, honestly think they’ll stop
there?

Maybe I’m being heavily influenced right now as I’m reading “The Rise
and Fall of the Third Reich” by William Shirer (“Hi, my name is Ryan,
and I’m falling into the ‘my opponents are Nazis trap…’”), but it
certainly seems that if the government can revoke rights because of
crises, they will continue to create crises so they can continue
revoking rights. Eventually they will have such a precedent of success
in revoking rights that they’ll just do it without a crises. And by
then, it will be too late.

Will more people die if people don’t get vaccinated? Probably. But
that’s the cost of pushing back against the totalitarian mindset
besieging us. I see this in the same light as the gun debate. Yes, more
people will die due to guns by keeping gun ownership a right. But it is
a cost that has to be paid to keep freedoms intact.

https://www.avg.com

HeartDoc Andrew

Aug 11, 2021, 11:26:10 AM8/11/21
MichaelE wrote:

> [...]
>
>Maybe Iím being heavily influenced right now as Iím reading ìThe Rise
>and Fall of the Third Reichî by William Shirer (ìHi, my name is Ryan,
>and Iím falling into the ëmy opponents are Nazis trapÖíî), but it
>certainly seems that if the government can revoke rights because of
>crises, they will continue to create crises so they can continue
>revoking rights. Eventually they will have such a precedent of success
>in revoking rights that theyíll just do it without a crises. And by
>then, it will be too late.
>
>Will more people die if people donít get vaccinated? Probably. But
>thatís the cost of pushing back against the totalitarian mindset
>besieging us. I see this in the same light as the gun debate. Yes, more
>people will die due to guns by keeping gun ownership a right. But it is
>a cost that has to be paid to keep freedoms intact.

To oppose others getting vaccinated, while confessing one has gotten
vaccinated is confessing to hypocrisy which is confessing to a sin.

Moreover, not doing our part to stop the COVID-19 pandemic is also a
sin.

The only *healthy* way to stop the pandemic, thereby saving lives, in
the U.S. & elsewhere is by rapidly ( http://bit.ly/RapidTestCOVID-19 )
finding out at any given moment, including even while on-line, who
among us are unwittingly contagious (i.e pre-symptomatic or
asymptomatic) in order to http://bit.ly/convince_it_forward (John
15:12) for them to call their doctor and self-quarantine per their
doctor in hopes of stopping this pandemic. Thus, we're hoping for the
best while preparing for the worse-case scenario of the Alpha lineage
mutations and others like the Gamma, Beta, Epsilon, Iota, Lambda &
Delta lineage mutations combining to form hybrids that render current
COVID vaccines no longer effective.

Indeed, I am wonderfully hungry ( http://bit.ly/RapidTestCOVID-19 )
and hope you, Michael, also have a healthy appetite too.

So how are you ?

HeartDoc Andrew <><
--
Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Cardiologist with an http://HeartMDPhD.com/EternalMedicalLicense

Michael Ejercito

Aug 11, 2021, 11:55:39 PM8/11/21
> [...]
>> and I’m falling into the ‘my opponents are Nazis trap…’”), but it
>> certainly seems that if the government can revoke rights because of
>> crises, they will continue to create crises so they can continue
>> revoking rights. Eventually they will have such a precedent of success
>> in revoking rights that they’ll just do it without a crises. And by
>> then, it will be too late.
>>
>> Will more people die if people don’t get vaccinated? Probably. But
>> that’s the cost of pushing back against the totalitarian mindset
>> besieging us. I see this in the same light as the gun debate. Yes, more
>> people will die due to guns by keeping gun ownership a right. But it is
>> a cost that has to be paid to keep freedoms intact.
>
> To oppose others getting vaccinated, while confessing one has gotten
> vaccinated is confessing to hypocrisy which is confessing to a sin.
He is urging people not to get the vaccine because it led to vaccine
passports, which will be a slippery slope to the government taking away
more freedom.

> Moreover, not doing our part to stop the COVID-19 pandemic is also a
> sin.
>
> The only *healthy* way to stop the pandemic, thereby saving lives, in
> the U.S. & elsewhere is by rapidly ( http://bit.ly/RapidTestCOVID-19 )
> finding out at any given moment, including even while on-line, who
> among us are unwittingly contagious (i.e pre-symptomatic or
> asymptomatic) in order to http://bit.ly/convince_it_forward (John
> 15:12) for them to call their doctor and self-quarantine per their
> doctor in hopes of stopping this pandemic. Thus, we're hoping for the
> best while preparing for the worse-case scenario of the Alpha lineage
> mutations and others like the Gamma, Beta, Epsilon, Iota, Lambda &
> Delta lineage mutations combining to form hybrids that render current
> COVID vaccines no longer effective.
>
> Indeed, I am wonderfully hungry ( http://bit.ly/RapidTestCOVID-19 )
> and hope you, Michael, also have a healthy appetite too.
>
> So how are you ?
I am wonderfully hungry!

Michael

HeartDoc Andrew

Aug 12, 2021, 12:19:36 AM8/12/21
MichaelE wrote:
8:3) us to hunger, I note that you, Michael, not only don't have
COVID-19 but are rapture (Luke 17:37) ready and pray (2 Chronicles
7:14) that our Everlasting (Isaiah 9:6) Father in Heaven continues to
give us "much more" (Luke 11:13) Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) so
that we'd have much more of His Help to always say/write that we're
"wonderfully hungry" in **all** ways including especially caring to
http://bit.ly/convince_it_forward (John 15:12 as shown by
http://bit.ly/RapidTestCOVID-19 ) with all glory (
http://bit.ly/Psalm117_ ) to GOD (aka HaShem, Elohim, Abba, DEO), in
the name (John 16:23) of LORD Jesus Christ of Nazareth. Amen.

Laus DEO !

Suggested further reading:
https://groups.google.com/g/sci.med.cardiology/c/5EWtT4CwCOg/m/QjNF57xRBAAJ

Shorter link:
http://bit.ly/StatCOVID-19Test

http://HeartMDPhD.com/HeartDocAndrewToutsHunger (Luke 6:21a) with all
glory ( http://HeartMDPhD.com/Psalm117_ ) to GOD, Who causes us to
hunger (Deuteronomy 8:3) when He blesses us right now (Luke 6:21a)
thereby removing the http://HeartMDPhD.com/VAT from around the heart