From A School Superintendent, Authentic Frontier Gibberish And More Evidence Of Why Our Children Are In Trouble.

Michael Ejercito

Dec 29, 2020, 9:44:03 AM12/29/20
http://ethicsalarms.com/2020/12/29/from-a-school-superintendent-authentic-frontier-gibberish-and-more-evidence-of-why-our-children-are-in-trouble/

From A School Superintendent, Authentic Frontier Gibberish And More
Evidence Of Why Our Children Are In Trouble.
DECEMBER 29, 2020 / JACK MARSHALL

A nice, smart, passionate, and painfully progressive Facebook friend
posted this letter with approval on his page. It was originally written
and posted by a superintendent in Voorheesville in upstate New York, and
has been circulating on social media for all the wrong reasons. The
letter was directed to “All teachers and parents.”

I’ll have some observations at the end, if I can control my gag reflex.

Dear Friends and Colleagues: I am writing today about the children of
this pandemic. After a lifetime of working among the young, I feel
compelled to address the concerns that are being expressed by so many of
my peers about the deficits the children will demonstrate when they
finally return to school. My goodness, what a disconcerting thing to be
concerned about in the face of a pandemic which is affecting millions of
people around the country and the world. It speaks to one of my biggest
fears for the children when they return. In our determination to “catch
them up,” I fear that we will lose who they are and what they have
learned during this unprecedented era. What on earth are we trying to
catch them up on? The models no longer apply, the benchmarks are no
longer valid, the trend analyses have been interrupted. We must not
forget that those arbitrary measures were established by people, not
ordained by God. We can make those invalid measures as obsolete as a
crank up telephone! They simply do not apply. When the children return
to school, they will have returned with a new history that we will need
to help them identify and make sense of. When the children return to
school, we will need to listen to them. Let their stories be told. They
have endured a year that has no parallel in modern times. There is no
assessment that applies to who they are or what they have learned.
Remember, their brains did not go into hibernation during this year.
Their brains may not have been focused on traditional school material,
but they did not stop either. Their brains may have been focused on
where their next meal is coming from, or how to care for a younger
surrender a beloved pet, or how to deal with death. Our job is to
welcome them back and help them write that history. I sincerely plead
with my colleagues, to surrender the artificial constructs that measure
achievement and greet the children where they are, not where we think
they “should be.” Greet them with art supplies and writing materials,
and music and dance and so many other avenues to help them express what
has happened to them in their lives during this horrific year. Greet
them with stories and books that will help them make sense of an
upside-down world. They missed you. They did not miss the test prep.
They did not miss the worksheets. They did not miss the reading groups.
They did not miss the homework. They missed you. Resist the pressure
from whatever ‘powers that be’ who are in a hurry to “fix” kids and make
up for the “lost” time. The time was not lost, it was invested in
surviving an historic period of time in their lives—in our lives. The
children do not need to be fixed. They are not broken. They need to be
heard. They need be given as many tools as we can provide to nurture
resilience and help them adjust to a post pandemic world. Being a
teacher is an essential connection between what is and what can be.
Please, let what can be demonstrate that our children have so much to
share about the world they live in and in helping them make sense of
what, for all of us has been unimaginable. This will help them– and us–
achieve a lot more than can be measured by any assessment tool ever
devised. Peace to all who work with the children!Being a teacher is an
essential connection between what is and what can be. Please, let what
can be demonstrate that our children have so much to share about the
world they live in and in helping them make sense of what, for all of us
has been unimaginable. This will help them– and us– achieve a lot more
than can be measured by any assessment tool ever devised. Peace to all
who work with the children!

Observations:

This is classic “Authentic Frontier Gibberish,” containing lots of
buzzwords and feelgood phrases in an uplifting tone that create a mood
rather than an actual message containing information. It is designed to
make everyone feel warm and optimistic–and shout out “Rarrit!” like
Gabby Johnson—without providing anything useful, just rationalizations
and fantasy.
It is also one more example of “Yoo’s Rationalzation,” or “It isn’t what
it is.” Our children, including college students, have been robbed
(unnecessarily) of nearly a full year of crucial and irreplaceable
social interaction and other experiences, and this sap wants us to
believe that it was all valuable. Why is “lost” is quotes? Does the
writer really believe that nothing had been lost in a year in which kids
have attended school through computer screens while being robbed of
normal recreation, socialization and interaction with peers?
Is it too cynical to suggest that the writer is attempting to relieve
teachers and administrators of their responsibility for closing the
schools and handicapping our children while simultaneously triggering a
general society shutdown, by claiming”It’s all OK, just different!”?
What are those “stories and books that will help them make sense of an
upside-down world”? How would they be different from the stories and
books that will help them make sense out of life generally, before,
during, or after a pandemic?
What is it that children have to communicate about what is going on that
will be so enlightening, when adults have been inconsistent and
incoherent, continue to make decisions driven by panic, guesswork,
emotion and politics, and still appear to have little sense of what’s
coming next?
I detect in this screed the basis upon which we now allow children
lecture us on various policy matters about which they know little except
what their teachers have force-fed them regarding guns, climate change,
civil rights and speech. “Listen to the children!” Why? Well, they are
attractive vehicles of pre-programmed advocacy that cannot be criticized
without bringing fury down on critics.
It is, or should be, terrifying that our schools are led by
administrators and teacher capable of flabby reasoning like this, and
that this is the quality of mind teaching our rising generations.

Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

Dec 29, 2020, 10:37:14 AM12/29/20
Those who are hangry (aka http://bit.ly/terribly_hungry like
http://bit.ly/BiblicalEsau ) "can't get no satisfaction" (Mick Jagger
c/o Rolling Stones).

Instead of hangry, I am simply wonderfully hungry (
http://bit.ly/RapidTestCOVID-19 ) and hope you, Michael, also have a
healthy appetite too.

So how are you ?

HeartDoc Andrew <><
--
Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
and author of the 2PD-OMER Approach:

Michael Ejercito

Dec 30, 2020, 9:55:12 AM12/30/20
I am wonderfully hungry!

Michael

Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

Dec 30, 2020, 12:39:33 PM12/30/20
MichaelE wrote:
> I am wonderfully hungry!

8:3) us to hunger, I note that you, Michael, not only don't have
COVID-19 but are rapture (Luke 17:37) ready and pray (2 Chronicles
7:14) that our Everlasting (Isaiah 9:6) Father in Heaven continues to
give us "much more" (Luke 11:13) Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) so
that we'd have much more of His Help to always say/write that we're
"wonderfully hungry" in **all** ways including especially caring to
http://bit.ly/ConvinceItForward (John 15:12 as shown by
http://bit.ly/RapidTestCOVID-19 ) with all glory (
http://bit.ly/Psalm117_ ) to GOD (aka HaShem, Elohim, Abba, DEO), in
the name (John 16:23) of LORD Jesus Christ of Nazareth. Amen.

Laus DEO !

from around the heart