As China COVID-19 cases rise, millions more placed under lockdown

Michael Ejercito

Jan 13, 2021, 10:12:18 AM1/13/21
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-china-cases/as-china-covid-19-cases-rise-millions-more-placed-under-lockdown-idUSKBN29I03G?utm_source=reddit.com

As China COVID-19 cases rise, millions more placed under lockdown
By Yew Lun Tian

4 MIN READ

BEIJING (Reuters) - China posted its biggest daily jump in COVID cases
in more than five months on Wednesday, stepping up containment measures
that have seen four cities put under lockdown, as the world’s second
biggest economy scrambles to head off a new wave of infections.

Most of the new cases were reported near the capital Beijing, but a
province in far northeast China also saw a rise in infections, official
data showed, amid a resurgence that has seen more than 28 million people
placed under home quarantine.

While the Chinese city of Wuhan was the initial epicenter of the
coronavirus pandemic, which first emerged there in late 2019, China had
in recent months largely kept COVID-19 at bay.

On Wednesday, the National Health Commission reported a total of 115 new
confirmed cases on the mainland, compared with 55 a day earlier, the
highest daily increase since July 30.

It said 107 of the new cases were local infections. Hebei, the province
that surrounds Beijing, accounted for 90 of the cases, while
northeastern Heilongjiang province reported 16 new cases.

The wave of infecttions comes ahead of next month’s Lunar New Year
holiday, when hundreds of millions of Chinese typically travel to their
home towns. Far fewer people are expected to hit the road this year, and
many provinces have asked migrant workers to stay put during the break.

A “massive” resurgence is unlikely during the holiday if control and
prevention measures are enforced properly, Feng Zijian, deputy director
of the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, told a media
briefing on Wednesday.

The spike in new cases comes as a World Health Organization team of
experts probing the origins of the pandemic is set to arrive on Thursday
in Wuhan. The team will undergo a 14-day quarantine, NHC spokesman Mi
Feng said.

Much remains unknown about the origins of the coronavirus and China has
been sensitive about accusations of a cover-up that delayed its initial
response and allowed the virus to spread. A health expert affiliated
with the WHO said previously that expectations should be “very low” that
the team would reach a conclusion from its trip to China.

Slideshow ( 4 images )
CONTAINMENT EFFORTS Hebei province has put three cities - Shijiazhuang,
Xingtai and Langfang - into lockdown as part of the efforts to keep the
virus from spreading further, while Beijing city authorities have
stepped up screening and prevention measures to prevent another cluster
from developing there.

China has administered more than 10 million vaccine doses, NHC official
Wang Bin said on Wednesday, and has ramped up testing capacity to 12.55
million people per day, or ten times the level last March.

Heilongjiang province on Wednesday declared a COVID-19 emergency. The
city of Suihua, which borders the provincial capital Harbin, put its 5.2
million people under lockdown.

Most of the cases in Heilongjiang have been found in Wangkui county,
under Suihua’s jurisdiction. Tieli, a city of about 300,000 that borders
Suihua, said on Wednesday it will ban people and vehicles from leaving
for three days as part of new COVID-19 prevention measures.

The number of new asymptomatic cases, which China does not classify as
confirmed cases, fell to 38 from 81 cases a day earlier. Seven of those
were reported in Jilin, a northeastern province bordering Heilongjiang.

The total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in mainland China now
stands at 87,706, while the death toll remained unchanged at 4,634.

Reporting by Jing Wang and Emily Chow in Shanghai and Yew Lun Tian,
Liangping Gao and Lusha Zhang in Beijing; writing by Se Young Lee and
Tony Munroe; Editing by Christian Schmollinger and Michael Perry

Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

Jan 13, 2021, 10:39:13 AM1/13/21

> [...]
>million people per day, or ten times the level last March.
>
>Heilongjiang province on Wednesday declared a COVID-19 emergency. The
>city of Suihua, which borders the provincial capital Harbin, put its 5.2
>million people under lockdown.
>
>Most of the cases in Heilongjiang have been found in Wangkui county,
>under Suihua’s jurisdiction. Tieli, a city of about 300,000 that borders
>Suihua, said on Wednesday it will ban people and vehicles from leaving
>for three days as part of new COVID-19 prevention measures.
>
>The number of new asymptomatic cases, which China does not classify as
>confirmed cases, fell to 38 from 81 cases a day earlier. Seven of those
>were reported in Jilin, a northeastern province bordering Heilongjiang.
>
>The total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in mainland China now
>stands at 87,706, while the death toll remained unchanged at 4,634.

The only healthy way to stop the pandemic in mainland China and
elsewhere is by rapidly ( http://bit.ly/RapidTestCOVID-19 ) finding
out at any given moment, including even while on-line, who among us
are unwittingly contagious (i.e pre-symptomatic or asymptomatic) in
order to http://bit.ly/ConvinceItForward (John 15:12) for them to call
their doctor and self-quarantine per their doctor in hopes of stopping
this pandemic even in the worst-case scenario of the "UK variant
mutations" **and** others like the South African & "cluster-5 mink
mutations" (read more via Google) rendering current vaccines
ineffective.

Indeed, I am wonderfully hungry ( http://bit.ly/RapidTestCOVID-19 )
and hope you, Michael, also have a healthy appetite too.

So how are you ?

HeartDoc Andrew <><
--
Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
and author of the 2PD-OMER Approach:

Michael Ejercito

Jan 13, 2021, 9:18:08 PM1/13/21
I am wonderfully hungry!

Michael

Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

Jan 13, 2021, 9:23:25 PM1/13/21
MichaelE wrote:
8:3) us to hunger, I note that you, Michael, not only don't have
COVID-19 but are rapture (Luke 17:37) ready and pray (2 Chronicles
7:14) that our Everlasting (Isaiah 9:6) Father in Heaven continues to
give us "much more" (Luke 11:13) Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) so
that we'd have much more of His Help to always say/write that we're
"wonderfully hungry" in **all** ways including especially caring to
http://bit.ly/ConvinceItForward (John 15:12 as shown by
http://bit.ly/RapidTestCOVID-19 ) with all glory (
http://bit.ly/Psalm117_ ) to GOD (aka HaShem, Elohim, Abba, DEO), in
the name (John 16:23) of LORD Jesus Christ of Nazareth. Amen.

Laus DEO !

from around the heart