Alameda County’s new COVID death toll is 25% lower than thought

Michael Ejercito

Jun 6, 2021, 11:27:11 AM6/6/21
http://oaklandside.org/2021/06/04/alameda-countys-new-covid-death-toll-is-25-lower-than-thought/

Alameda County’s new COVID death toll is 25% lower than thought
County health officials reviewed COVID-19 death records and found 411
cases that were "clearly not" caused by the disease.

by Brian Krans
June 4, 2021

staff in full safety gear stand under a sign that says "emergency"
Frontline workers at Highland Hospital will be among the first to
receive COVID-19 vaccinations in Oakland. Credit: Pete Rosos
Don't let Facebook's algorithm control your news. Sign up to get free
Oakland news in your inbox.

Enter your email

Sign up
A quarter of all deaths previously attributed to COVID-19 in Alameda
County weren’t actually caused by the coronavirus, the Alameda County
Public Health Department announced today.

That puts the county’s new official COVID-19 death toll at 1,223, down
from 1,634.

The 25% decrease—or 411 cases—is due to the fact that COVID “wasn’t a
direct cause” of death in these cases, according to county health
officials.

County officials decided to revise the numbers after they reviewed
guidance from the California Department of Public Health about how to
classify deaths as being caused by COVID-19. The new count more
accurately reflects how many people died as a direct result of, or
complications from, a COVID-19 infection.

“There are definitely people who died from reasons that were clearly not
caused by COVID,”

said Neetu Balram, a spokesperson for the Alameda County Public Health
Department.

Balram couldn’t give specifics about the true cause of death for the 411
people removed from the COVID-19 data, but she said the cases were
identified after reviewing codes entered by county coroners into
CalREDIE, the state’s database for disease reporting and surveillance.
Alameda County uses CalREDIE data to populate its COVID dashboard.

Here’s what else is going on in Oakland:
Oakland considers banning ADUs in the hills to avoid fire danger
Where Oakland kids and families can get free food this summer
The last dance is still far off for Oakland’s Tacos El Ultimo Baile
Dr. Amesh Adalja, an infectious disease expert and senior scholar at
Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security, told The Oaklandside that
although some adjustments are to be expected, 25% “seems high.” Adalja
said he has never seen this big of an adjustment in a death count with
other infectious diseases.

Nicholas Moss, Alameda County’s health officer, said the deaths removed
from the COVID rolls occurred throughout the pandemic. He hopes the
county’s decision to adjust the numbers will show people that the county
is dedicated to accurately reporting the impact of the virus.

“We knew any change like this would have raised some eyebrows,” Moss
told The Oaklandside. “Nothing about this changes our policy decisions
now or during the height of the pandemic.”

The county’s original method was to attribute a death to COVID-19 if the
coroner or medical provider (like a hospital) listed someone as being
positive for the coronavirus at the time of their death.

Balram said the state’s definition was different: A death can only be
attributed to COVID-19 if the coroner or medical provider can show that
the person died “as a direct result of COVID-19, with COVID-19 as a
contributing cause of death, or in whom death caused by COVID-19 could
not be ruled out.” The state came up with this definition late last year
in the middle of the pandemic, after Alameda County was already using
its method.

“Obviously our definition was broader than the state’s,” Balram said,
adding the 411 deaths being removed were “clearly not COVID.”

In announcing the changes to the data, the county used the example of a
resident who tested positive for COVID-19 but died in a car accident.
Under the original definition, that person’s death would have been
included in the total number of COVID-19 deaths. Balram said she
couldn’t say if that actual scenario played out in Alameda County.

“When the state implemented these guidelines, Alameda County became
aware of the conflicting definitions and made a plan to conduct the
update when cases and deaths stabilized,” the Alameda County Public
Health Department said in a statement Friday.

Prior to the update Friday, the Alameda County COVID dashboard showed
1,687 deaths, a tally that reflects not only the county’s old definition
of a COVID-related death, but also any new deaths added to rolls since
May 23. Deaths are often reported at different intervals and rarely on
the day they actually occur.

Throughout the pandemic, the county’s data on COVID-19 deaths has shown
much smaller fluctuations caused by a variety of factors, such as if a
person died in Alameda County but didn’t live there.

Alameda County’s COVID dashboard contains several disclaimers, including
that recent numbers, including infections and deaths, could change. That
includes cases that move from “suspected” to “confirmed,” and dates of
when a death has been reported to the day it actually occurred.

“Death data may be corrected from time to time as information about the
cause of death or the County of residence of the deceased person are
finalized,” a warning on the COVID dashboard reads.

Alameda County’s recounting of its COVID cases are yet another example
of potential flaws in real-time data reporting involving several
agencies during a global public health crisis.

Moss, who has more experience with the HIV/AIDS epidemic, said that data
isn’t computed until six months after the previous year. COVID-19 data,
he said, is entered daily, giving number-crunchers less time to ensure
the data being reported meets universal standards.

“It’s not an excuse. It’s a reality,” Moss said. “Unfortunately it took
us longer to get to this point than we would have liked.”

HeartDoc Andrew

Jun 6, 2021, 2:33:29 PM6/6/21
The only healthy way to stop the pandemic in the California
and other places is by rapidly ( http://bit.ly/RapidTestCOVID-19 )
finding out at any given moment, including even while on-line, who
among us are unwittingly contagious (i.e pre-symptomatic or
asymptomatic) in order to http://bit.ly/convince_it_forward (John
15:12) for them to call their doctor and self-quarantine per their
doctor in hopes of stopping this pandemic. Thus, we're hoping for the
best while preparing for the worse-case scenario of the Alpha lineage
mutations and others like the Gamma, Beta, Epsilon, Iota, & Delta
lineage mutations combining to form hybrids that render current COVID
vaccines no longer effective.

Indeed, I am wonderfully hungry ( http://bit.ly/RapidTestCOVID-19 )
and hope you, Michael, also have a healthy appetite too.

So how are you ?

HeartDoc Andrew <><
--
Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
and author of the 2PD-OMER Approach:

Michael Ejercito

Jun 6, 2021, 9:19:00 PM6/6/21
I am wonderfully hungry!

Michael

https://www.avg.com

HeartDoc Andrew

Jun 6, 2021, 9:26:02 PM6/6/21
MichaelE wrote:
>> The only healthy way to stop the pandemic in California
>> and other places is by rapidly ( http://bit.ly/RapidTestCOVID-19 )
>> finding out at any given moment, including even while on-line, who
>> among us are unwittingly contagious (i.e pre-symptomatic or
>> asymptomatic) in order to http://bit.ly/convince_it_forward (John
>> 15:12) for them to call their doctor and self-quarantine per their
>> doctor in hopes of stopping this pandemic. Thus, we're hoping for the
>> best while preparing for the worse-case scenario of the Alpha lineage
>> mutations and others like the Gamma, Beta, Epsilon, Iota, & Delta
>> lineage mutations combining to form hybrids that render current COVID
>> vaccines no longer effective.
>>
>> Indeed, I am wonderfully hungry ( http://bit.ly/RapidTestCOVID-19 )
>> and hope you, Michael, also have a healthy appetite too.
>>
>> So how are you ?
>
> I am wonderfully hungry!

8:3) us to hunger, I note that you, Michael, not only don't have
COVID-19 but are rapture (Luke 17:37) ready and pray (2 Chronicles
7:14) that our Everlasting (Isaiah 9:6) Father in Heaven continues to
give us "much more" (Luke 11:13) Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) so
that we'd have much more of His Help to always say/write that we're
"wonderfully hungry" in **all** ways including especially caring to
http://bit.ly/convince_it_forward (John 15:12 as shown by
http://bit.ly/RapidTestCOVID-19 ) with all glory (
http://bit.ly/Psalm117_ ) to GOD (aka HaShem, Elohim, Abba, DEO), in
the name (John 16:23) of LORD Jesus Christ of Nazareth. Amen.

Laus DEO !

right now (Luke 6:21a) thereby removing the http://HeartMDPhD.com/VAT
from around the heart

HeartDoc Andrew <><