One Virus Case Puts New Zealand Into Nationwide Lockdown

Michael Ejercito

Aug 17, 2021, 10:37:10 AM8/17/21
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-08-17/new-zealand-puts-nation-into-lockdown-on-single-covid-case

Prognosis
One Virus Case Puts New Zealand Into Nationwide Lockdown
By Tracy Withers
August 16, 2021, 11:30 PM PDT
Updated on August 17, 2021, 1:54 AM PDT
Ardern assumes community case is infectious delta variant
Kiwi dollar falls as investors pare bets on RBNZ rate hike
Jacinda Ardern, left, during a news conference in Wellington, New
Zealand, on Aug. 17.
Jacinda Ardern, left, during a news conference in Wellington, New
Zealand, on Aug. 17. Photographer: Hagen Hopkins/Getty Images
SHARE THIS ARTICLE
Share
Tweet
Post
Email
In this article
XB1
Generic 1st 'XB' Future
220.32USd/gal.+0.23+0.10%
NZD
New Zealand Dollar Spot
0.6918NZD-0.0101-1.4390%
New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern put the nation into a
three-day lockdown after the discovery of the first community case of
Covid-19 since February.

The snap lockdown will begin at midnight tonight as authorities rush to
identify the source of a single infection in largest city Auckland,
Ardern said at a news conference Tuesday in Wellington. While genome
sequencing has yet to be completed, the case is assumed to be the highly
infectious delta variant, she said.

“Delta has been a game-changer, we’re responding to that,” Ardern said.
“The best thing we can do to get out of this as quickly as we can is to
go hard.”

More from
U.S. Poised for Boosters; New Zealand in Lockdown: Virus Update
U.K. Authorizes Moderna Covid-19 Vaccine for Use in Adolescents
U.S. Dropped From Abu Dhabi Travel Green List as Cases Spike
Delayed Wuhan Report Adds Crucial Detail to Covid Origin Puzzle
It is New Zealand’s first nationwide lockdown since the initial pandemic
response over a year ago. Under so-called Alert Level 4, all schools,
public venues and most businesses must close and people are urged to
wear a face covering if they need to venture out. Only shops providing
essential services such as groceries, gasoline and health products can
stay open.

The New Zealand dollar plunged more than one U.S. cent when the case was
reported, falling to as low as 69.07 cents. Bond yields and swap rates
tumbled as investors reduced bets that the central bank will raise
interest rates at its policy decision on Wednesday.

The case is an unvaccinated man in his 50s from Auckland who is deemed
to have been infectious since Aug. 12, Director General of Health Ashley
Bloomfield told the news conference. He and his fully vaccinated wife
were in the nearby Coromandel region over the weekend, where they
visited a crowded pub on Saturday night to watch an All Blacks rugby
game, he said.

Because of those movements and the probability of it being delta,
officials advised an immediate nationwide response. Auckland and the
Coromandel have been placed into lockdown for seven days.

“Going hard and early has worked for us before,” Ardern said. “We want
to be short and hard, rather than light and long.”

Delta Challenge
New Zealand has so far largely kept the virus out of the community,
allowing its economy to recover quickly during the pandemic. But a slow
vaccine rollout has left it vulnerable to another outbreak, particularly
of the delta strain that is challenging virus containment efforts around
the world.

Along with Australia, which has strict border curbs like New Zealand,
China is battling a delta-fueled outbreak after the variant got in via
cleaners at an airport. It has taken a similarly zero-tolerance
approach, testing millions of people and locking down city districts to
rein in cases.

It’s a strategy that’s running into resistance in some so-called Covid
Zero countries as people tire of restrictions while other parts of the
world open up.

Ardern cited Australia’s experience with delta as a reason for swift
nationwide action, saying “we don’t want that experience here.”

Australia’s outbreak continues to spread despite more than half the
nation’s 26 million people being placed into lockdown. New South Wales
state recorded 452 new cases on Tuesday after a record of 478 set the
previous day, with the vast bulk of those infections detected in Sydney.

Australia’s most-populous city has been in lockdown for more than seven
weeks and some health experts have criticized the New South Wales
government for acting too late, after the virus was already seeded in
the community.

RBNZ Decision
New Zealand’s case comes on the eve of the Reserve Bank’s review of the
official cash rate. Prior to news of the lockdown, a majority of
economists were forecasting a quarter percentage point hike in response
to an overheating economy.

Those at Westpac and ASB changed their calls after Ardern’s press
conference late Tuesday, saying they now expect the RBNZ to keep the OCR
on hold at 0.25% on Wednesday.

“It is logical that the RBNZ will pause until more certainty over the
extent of the community Covid outbreak and lockdown is established,”
said Nick Tuffley, chief economist at ASB in Auckland. Still, “provided
the lockdown is short and doesn’t change the underlying economic
picture, we would still anticipate the OCR reaching 1.5% by the end of
the year,” he said.

(Updates with China strategy in 10th paragraph.)

https://www.avg.com

HeartDoc Andrew

Aug 17, 2021, 11:08:46 AM8/17/21
The only *healthy* way to stop the pandemic, thereby saving lives, in
N.Z. & elsewhere is by rapidly ( http://bit.ly/RapidTestCOVID-19 )
finding out at any given moment, including even while on-line, who
among us are unwittingly contagious (i.e pre-symptomatic or
asymptomatic) in order to http://bit.ly/convince_it_forward (John
15:12) for them to call their doctor and self-quarantine per their
doctor in hopes of stopping this pandemic. Thus, we're hoping for the
best while preparing for the worse-case scenario of the Alpha lineage
mutations and others like the Gamma, Beta, Epsilon, Iota, Lambda &
Delta lineage mutations combining to form hybrids that render current
COVID vaccines no longer effective.

Indeed, I am wonderfully hungry ( http://bit.ly/RapidTestCOVID-19 )
and hope you, Michael, also have a healthy appetite too.

So how are you ?

HeartDoc Andrew <><
--
Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Cardiologist with an http://HeartMDPhD.com/EternalMedicalLicense

Michael Ejercito

Aug 17, 2021, 11:05:48 PM8/17/21
I am wonderfully hungry!

Michael

HeartDoc Andrew

Aug 17, 2021, 11:08:09 PM8/17/21
MichaelE wrote:
> I am wonderfully hungry!

8:3) us to hunger, I note that you, Michael, not only don't have
COVID-19 but are rapture (Luke 17:37) ready and pray (2 Chronicles
7:14) that our Everlasting (Isaiah 9:6) Father in Heaven continues to
give us "much more" (Luke 11:13) Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) so
that we'd have much more of His Help to always say/write that we're
"wonderfully hungry" in **all** ways including especially caring to
http://bit.ly/convince_it_forward (John 15:12 as shown by
http://bit.ly/RapidTestCOVID-19 ) with all glory (
http://bit.ly/Psalm117_ ) to GOD (aka HaShem, Elohim, Abba, DEO), in
the name (John 16:23) of LORD Jesus Christ of Nazareth. Amen.

Laus DEO !

Suggested further reading:
https://groups.google.com/g/sci.med.cardiology/c/5EWtT4CwCOg/m/QjNF57xRBAAJ

Shorter link:
http://bit.ly/StatCOVID-19Test

http://HeartMDPhD.com/HeartDocAndrewToutsHunger (Luke 6:21a) with all
glory ( http://HeartMDPhD.com/Psalm117_ ) to GOD, Who causes us to
hunger (Deuteronomy 8:3) when He blesses us right now (Luke 6:21a)
thereby removing the http://HeartMDPhD.com/VAT from around the heart

HeartDoc Andrew <><