Re: Units of measurement in the USA

Richard Heathfield

Jun 11, 2016, 4:15:42 PM6/11/16
Sorry to dump this on sci.math - just a matter of definition to clear
up. To save you ploughing through a lot of nonsense (below), I'll
summarise here. The question at issue is specifically regarding
Euclidean geometry. Euclid drew a distinction between "line" and
"straight line". Do modern Euclidean geometers do the same, or would
they nowadays consider that a line is straight by definition?

On 11/06/16 20:54, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
> On Saturday, June 11, 2016 at 3:11:36 PM UTC-4, Richard Heathfield wrote:

>>> Q.E.D.
>>
>> All you've demonstrated is that Euclid defined his terms in one way, and
>> nowadays we define them in another. This was not in dispute.
>
> No, I demonstrated that what you labeled as "In Euclidean geometry" was in
> fact in post-Euclidean geometry.

It may well be, whatever post-Euclidean geometry is. But my claim (that
a straight line cannot lie flat on the surface of a sphere) is also true
in Euclidean geometry (but the claim is /not/ true in elliptic geometry).

>>> If you had introduced your comment with "In post-Euclidean" or "non-Euclidean
>>> geometry," there would have been nothing to complain about.
>>
>> There is still nothing to complain about. Euclidean geometry continues
>> to be known as Euclidean geometry, even though we have moved on somewhat
>> since Euclid's day. For example, we don't insist that Euclidean
>> geometers discuss Euclidean geometry in Ancient Greek. Nor do we insist
>> on their being nailed to Euclid's precise wording. We insist only that
>> Euclid's five postulates hold. To label such a geometry as
>> 'non-Euclidean' would have been pointlessly confusing to most people.
>
> The definition of "line" as 'straight line' is simply NOT Euclidean.

Enough already. Cross-posted to sci.math - let the mathematicians have
their say.

>>> But you don't say, "In the 19th century 1 was not considered a prime number."
>>
>> That's right. I don't. But we're chasing a wild goose. All we're talking
>> about here is the definition of "line" (vs "straight line"), and Robert
>> Bannister specifically talked about a "straight line".
>
> No, all we're talking about is what you mistakenly claimed Euclid said.

You are misremembering. I have not misquoted Euclid anywhere.

<snip>

>>> Actually no, the original claim was that from North Pole to South Pole is 180 deg.
>>
>> I am not referring to the original claim. I am referring to the claim
>> under dispute. That is why I said "the claim under dispute". The claim
>> under dispute is the claim that we have been disputing, which is a
>> rather pointless one about Euclid's prototype definitions.
>
> It is about your mischaracterization of them.

Well, it's a dispute, so you're bound to stick your oar in, and I can
hardly fault you for that, but obviously I disagree.

<snip>

>> And, in so doing, he provided an
>> opportunity for an interesting discussion about geometry.
>
> There was nothing interesting about your mistake.

Well, I don't agree that I made a mistake, and neither do I agree that
the discussion hasn't been interesting.

>>> On the surface of the earth, a "straight line" journey necessarily follows a
>>> portion of a "Great Circle." Since the original observation was couched in terms
>>> of North Pole and South Pole, that's the relevant frame of reference.
>>
>> I would agree. So the question becomes: if we define two points A and B
>> as lying on the same great circle route drawn on the Earth, and we draw
>> a line segment from A to a new point C (also on the surface of the
>> Earth) such that the angle between AC and AB is 180 degrees, do AB and
>> AC lie on the same great circle route? And the answer is that they do.
>>
>> And quod, Mr Daniels, is what really erat demonstrandum.
>
> There was no dispute about that (since you'd omitted it from consideration).

You think I omitted from consideration the very point that I discussed
in my first reply on the subject? Okaaaaaay....

--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk

quasi

Jun 12, 2016, 3:04:49 AM6/12/16
Richard Heathfield wrote:

>Sorry to dump this on sci.math - just a matter of definition
>to clear up. To save you ploughing through a lot of nonsense
>(below), I'll summarise here. The question at issue is
>specifically regarding Euclidean geometry. Euclid drew a
>distinction between "line" and "straight line". Do modern
>Euclidean geometers do the same, or would they nowadays
>consider that a line is straight by definition?

So long as the implied or stated context is _Euclidean_ geometry,
all lines are straight.

quasi

Richard Heathfield

Jun 12, 2016, 3:15:12 AM6/12/16
Thank you very much for confirming that small point. If there's anything
we can do in return - a quick parse, maybe, or a synonym for 'thesaurus'
- just say the word. :-)

John Gabriel

Jun 12, 2016, 4:01:56 AM6/12/16
Report not abuse
On Saturday, 11 June 2016 22:15:42 UTC+2, Richard Heathfield wrote:
> Sorry to dump this on sci.math - just a matter of definition to clear
> up. To save you ploughing through a lot of nonsense (below), I'll
> summarise here. The question at issue is specifically regarding
> Euclidean geometry. Euclid drew a distinction between "line" and
> "straight line". Do modern Euclidean geometers do the same, or would
> they nowadays consider that a line is straight by definition?

Modern geometers are morons so I can't speak for them. A line is by definition, the distance between two points. That's why there is no such thing as "infinite length" lines.

Since there are innumerable paths between any two points, it follows the most notable path is that which is shortest, that is, a straight line.

When Euclid referred to a line being extended indefinitely in either direction, he did not mean "infinitely" as academic morons imagine. To put it simply, all he was saying is that it can be made as long as you wish.

Peter Percival

Jun 12, 2016, 6:28:02 AM6/12/16
The lines of line integrals don't conform. Any other exceptions?

--
A high and rising proportion of children are being born to mothers
least fitted to bring children into the world.... Some are of low

quasi

Jun 12, 2016, 3:05:27 PM6/12/16
Peter Percival wrote:
>quasi wrote:
>>Richard Heathfield wrote:
>>>
>>>Sorry to dump this on sci.math - just a matter of definition
>>>to clear up. To save you ploughing through a lot of nonsense
>>>(below), I'll summarise here. The question at issue is
>>>specifically regarding Euclidean geometry. Euclid drew a
>>>distinction between "line" and "straight line". Do modern
>>>Euclidean geometers do the same, or would they nowadays
>>>consider that a line is straight by definition?
>>
>>So long as the implied or stated context is _Euclidean_
>>geometry, all lines are straight.
>
>The lines of line integrals don't conform.

Conform to what?

Quoting from Wikipedia:

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_integral>

"In mathematics, a line integral is an integral where the
function to be integrated is evaluated along a curve."

The terminology "line integral" is traditional (and undoubtedly
old), but the use of the word "line" in "line integral" doesn't
require that the integration is to be done along a line. Of
course, a line is a special case of a curve, but line integrals
allow for greater generality.

>Any other exceptions?

Exception to what?

I don't see an exception.

quasi

Peter Percival

Jun 12, 2016, 3:36:16 PM6/12/16
quasi wrote:
> Peter Percival wrote:
>> quasi wrote:

>>> So long as the implied or stated context is _Euclidean_
>>> geometry, all lines are straight.
>>
>> The lines of line integrals don't conform.
>
> Conform to what?

Lines being straight. I apologize for being unclear.

> Quoting from Wikipedia:
>
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_integral>
>
> "In mathematics, a line integral is an integral where the
> function to be integrated is evaluated along a curve."
>
> The terminology "line integral" is traditional (and undoubtedly
> old), but the use of the word "line" in "line integral" doesn't
> require that the integration is to be done along a line. Of
> course, a line is a special case of a curve, but line integrals
> allow for greater generality.
>
>> Any other exceptions?
>
> Exception to what?
>
> I don't see an exception.
>
> quasi

quasi

Jun 12, 2016, 3:47:56 PM6/12/16
Peter Percival wrote:
>quasi wrote:
>>Peter Percival wrote:

>>>The lines of line integrals don't conform.
>>
>>Conform to what?
>
>Lines being straight. I apologize for being unclear.

As explained in my prior reply, it's not really an exception.

Line integrals apply to general curves, not just lines. And in
modern terminolgy, those curves are _called_ "curves". They are
not called lines (unless they actually are lines).

Of course the word "line" is context dependent, but if the
context is Euclidean geometry, the unqualified term "line"
means straight line.

Adam Funk

Jun 13, 2016, 5:45:12 AM6/13/16
On 2016-06-12, Richard Heathfield wrote:

> On 12/06/16 08:01, quasi wrote:
>> Richard Heathfield wrote:
>>>
>>> Sorry to dump this on sci.math - just a matter of definition
>>> to clear up. To save you ploughing through a lot of nonsense
>>> (below), I'll summarise here. The question at issue is
>>> specifically regarding Euclidean geometry. Euclid drew a
>>> distinction between "line" and "straight line". Do modern
>>> Euclidean geometers do the same, or would they nowadays
>>> consider that a line is straight by definition?
>>
>> So long as the implied or stated context is _Euclidean_ geometry,
>> all lines are straight.
>
> Thank you very much for confirming that small point. If there's anything
> we can do in return - a quick parse, maybe, or a synonym for 'thesaurus'
> - just say the word. :-)

Customer in bookshop: "I'm looking for that book that looks like a
dictionary but sounds like a dinosaur."

--
It is probable that television drama of high caliber and produced by
first-rate artists will materially raise the level of dramatic taste

abu.ku...@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2016, 4:48:13 PM6/21/16
only as long as Euclid meant, and no further