epsilon-delta book

Dave L. Renfro

Jan 5, 2003, 12:51:10 PM1/5/03
Vigual (ele...@gmu.edu)
[alt.math.undergrad 2003-01-05 02:15:30 PST]
http://groups.google.com/groups?th=c3649e80393b253a

wrote

> can anyone recommend a book for an introduction to analysis
> (epsilon delta advanced calculus)?

Bryant [3] would be my recommendation if you're fresh out of the
calculus/ODE sequence and studying on your own. If your background
is a little stronger (i.e. you've had one of those "transition to
advanced mathematics" courses at the Sophomore or Junior level),
then Bressoud [2] might be better. Finally, you should take a look
at Abbott [1] regardless -- I think it's the best written
introductory analysis book that's appeared in the past couple
of decades.

[1] Stephen Abbott, "Understanding Analysis", Springer-Verlag, 2001.
http://www.maa.org/reviews/understand.html
http://makeashorterlink.com/?K4E6158F2 [amazon.com reviews]
http://community.middlebury.edu/~abbott/UA/UA.html
http://www.wkonline.com/a/Understanding_Analysis_0387950605.htm

[2] David M. Bressoud, "A Radical Approach to Real Analysis",
Classroom Resource Materials Series #2, Mathematical Association
of America, 1994.
http://www.maa.org/pubs/books/ran.html
http://makeashorterlink.com/?G2F6128F2 [amazon.com reviews]
http://www.macalester.edu/~bressoud/
http://www.macalester.edu/~bressoud/books/aratra-correct.html

[3] Victor Bryant, "Yet Another Introduction to Analysis", Cambridge
University Press, 1990.
http://makeashorterlink.com/?S6D6528F2 [amazon.com reviews]
http://makeashorterlink.com/?T6B6138F2

Dave L. Renfro