Can anyone solve this?

Erwin Drenth

Sep 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/12/95
Could somebody solve the following problem for me?

"What is the largest possible area of a triangle with three equally
long sides, contained in an ellips x*x/a + y*y/b =1? "

Thanx in advance
Erwin Drenth

Robert Macy

Sep 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/12/95

From: er...@tcw2.ppsw.rug.nl (Erwin Drenth)

ED>Could somebody solve the following problem for me?

ED>"What is the largest possible area of a triangle with three equally
ED> long sides, contained in an ellips x*x/a + y*y/b =1? "

Wow! That looks like a fun problem. It looks like there will be a
boundary where the aspect ratio of the ellipse causes you to put the
triangle right in the center, and then you get no more area than what is
related to the widest separation of the ellipse.

However, in going from a "circle" to an ellipse that's squashed enough.
Hm.... don't know.

I'm dying of curosity, what's this for?

- Robert -

* OLX 2.1 TD * Pillsbury Doughboy: Roll model,...or son of a biscuit?