"memory" effects in a spinning rotor

to...@gazeta.pl

May 13, 2006, 1:24:47 PM5/13/06

http://www.oswirus.krakow.pl/cat_14/gyroscope/

A symmetric harnessed gyroscope accelerated to a given spinning
frequency takes different time periods to stop, depending on the
direction of previous spins. For repeated alternating, anticlockwise
and clockwise spinning, the rotation period in both directions
significantly increases, which is not the case when the gyroscope is
repeatedly rotated in the same direction. Using the measurements it was
observed, that the time of gyroscope's rotation was significantly
lengthened or shortened, what indicates that it either increased or
decreased the movement resistance of the gyroscope. The presented
experimental results suggest the existence of anomalous movement
resistance and demonstrate that a fixed spinning gyroscope displays
unusual history-dependent movement resistance effects. The effect is
real, large, reproducible and does not follow from experimental errors.

The manuscript was reviewed thrice, according to the publishing
procedure in "Physical Review Letters" within two year. The remarks of
all the reviewers were taken into account during its correction.
Because the publishing procedure for our manuscript in "Physical Review
Letters" finished, we decided to publish it in Journal of Technical
Physics, J.Tech. Phys., 46, 2, 107-115, 2005.

Mark Thorson

May 13, 2006, 2:17:09 PM5/13/06
to...@gazeta.pl wrote:

> http://www.oswirus.krakow.pl/cat_14/gyroscope/
>
> A symmetric harnessed gyroscope accelerated to a given spinning
> frequency takes different time periods to stop, depending on the
> direction of previous spins.

That's a poor metric, because time-to-stop is essentially
a bearing friction effect. Lots of things could explain
that, such as bearing surface morphology or magnetization
of the bulk material of the bearing.

If you're using a gyroscope, a good metric would be
something like the forces experienced by the gyroscope.
In this case, the fact you are using a gyroscope seems
to be almost incidental. If you wish to pursue this
line of research, I suggest that your next experiment
should eliminate the gyroscope and only use the bearing,
perhaps scaling up to a larger bearing which presumably
would show a larger effect. However, I'm not sure that
memory effects in bearings would be very interesting,
and it certainly would not be relevant to physics.

to...@gazeta.pl

May 14, 2006, 2:37:58 AM5/14/06
Those effects strongly depend on material
(substance) of the rotor's disk, for example they are
great for the rotor's disk made in teflon and small one
for the rotor's disk made in plexiglas.

jim beam

May 16, 2006, 10:19:21 PM5/16/06
Mark Thorson wrote:<snip>

> and it certainly would not be relevant to physics.

damned right since the o.p. doesn't have a clue about gyro operation in
the first place. it's terrestially mounted. the earth rotates. gyro
tries to align with earth rotation. duh.

to...@gazeta.pl

Jun 2, 2006, 2:52:09 PM6/2/06

"We cannot establish the cause of this phenomenon. We have discovered
the effect and now theorists are trying to get their head round it. But
this may change thinking about basic mechanics. We have run this
experiment for a few years on different gyroscopes and we have achieved
the same effect. " - says Mazur.

Uncle Al

Jun 2, 2006, 4:37:01 PM6/2/06

The only "effect" is incompetent experimentalists. Gravity Probe B
had two pair of rotating anti-parallel superconducting gyroballs in
Earth orbit minutely observed for 50 weeks continuous, plus
calibration before and after. No anomalies.

The Allais effect is the same kind of crap. If it happened it would
not be mysterious, it would be trivially reported and reproduced.
Science works to spec on demand, every time.

--
Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/

jim beam

Jun 2, 2006, 8:28:57 PM6/2/06
how much more simple does it have to made before you understand? your
gyro is rigidly attached to planet earth. you are simply observing the
reaction of the two spins, earth rotation PLUS gyro, not just the gyro
alone. and you wonder why you don't get published...

Mark Thorson

Jun 3, 2006, 1:15:52 PM6/3/06
Uncle Al wrote:

> The Allais effect is the same kind of crap. If it happened
> it would not be mysterious, it would be trivially reported and
> reproduced. Science works to spec on demand, every time.

But couldn't there be local transient anomalies
in the psi field?

Uncle Al

Jun 4, 2006, 2:27:20 PM6/4/06

Only if holonomic fiber bundle reciprosection is geomorphically
abstemious vs. local bifurcative exponturation. Secure a copy of the
960 page epic poem "Mahabharata" and read about "gobar." I shit thee
not,

Google
Mahabharata gobar 127 hits

to...@gazeta.pl

Jun 6, 2006, 3:38:45 PM6/6/06

We made measurements for different settings of rotor, for example the
spindle of the rotor was laid horizontally. The effect always exists
and is large. For the same bearings and the same dimensions of rotor
we have observed different size of the effects. The effect is small if
the disk of the rotor is made of plexiglas, and very large if the disk
of the rotor is made of teflon.

to...@gazeta.pl

Jun 6, 2006, 3:47:07 PM6/6/06
You're writing about experiments regarding a free gyroscope and we're
using a "constrained" spinning gyroscope, also called turbine.

to...@gazeta.pl

Jun 6, 2006, 3:48:55 PM6/6/06

Asker

Dec 6, 2022, 1:36:14 AM12/6/22