Material in a Wham-O Magic Window?

Lane no spam

May 19, 2005, 6:09:24 PM5/19/05

Back in the early 70's the Wham-O company made a toy called a Magic Window.
It's basically an oval made of a clear plastic with two panes very close
together filled with two different materials, one white and one blue. They
don't intermix very well at all and in turning the toy, lots of different
designs can be made. What is the material inside? This is something I've
been puzzled about for years, and I've Google searched with every thing I
can think of. Wham-O called it "MICRODIUM CRYSTALS", but that is obviously a
made up name as a Google search on it comes up with no usable information at
all. Basically I'd like to be able to get some of this material and make my
own "magic window". Thanks

Lane

Robert Copcutt

May 22, 2005, 11:05:54 AM5/22/05

It sounds like a variation of the lava lamp to me. Googling "lava lamp"
provides plenty of ideas.

Lane no spam

May 22, 2005, 2:27:42 PM5/22/05

"Robert Copcutt" <r...@donotspam.com> wrote in message

Thanks but it is not liquid, but dry resembling sand crystals. I should have
been more explicit in my original post.

Lane

Lisa A Skinner

Jan 12, 2020, 6:18:04 PM1/12/20
replying to Lane, Lisa A Skinner wrote:
We're in a Brand New Era of 2020...& This toy I had when I was a kid still
keeps me captivated!!! I would like to create my own Magic Window
myself...with more colors🌈🌈🌈!!!

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/materials/material-in-a-wham-o-magic-window-4534-.htm

Joel

Jan 22, 2020, 10:18:03 PM1/22/20
replying to Lisa A Skinner, Joel wrote:
Did you find where to get the sand from

Chrisillin

Mar 19, 2022, 12:18:39 PMMar 19
replying to Lane, Chrisillin wrote:

Hey I’d love to build my own as well. Would love to know if you ever found
out what the sand was.