ChatGPT agrees that D correctly simulated by H meets the halt status criteria

olcott

Jan 30, 2023, 4:20:38 PM1/30/23
This result can be replicated, it is the entire dialogue.

olcott:
void D(void (*x)())
{
int Halt_Status = H(x, x);
if (Halt_Status)
HERE: goto HERE;
return;
}

int main()
{
H(D,D);
}

H continues to simulate D until D reaches its return instruction.

Does D correctly simulated by H continue to call H in recursive
simulation if H never aborts its simulation of H?

ChatGPT:
Yes, if H never aborts its simulation of H, then the recursive
simulation of D by H would continue indefinitely.

--
Copyright 2023 Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius

Fritz Feldhase

Jan 30, 2023, 4:34:34 PM1/30/23
On Monday, January 30, 2023 at 10:20:38 PM UTC+1, _ Olcott wrote:

> ChatGPT:
> Yes, if H never aborts its simulation of H, then the recursive
> simulation of D by H would continue indefinitely.

Yes, what?!

"if H never aborts its simulation [...], then the [...] simulation [...] by H would continue indefinitely."

is a tautology (or an analytical truth), idiot.

Yes, if it rains, it rains.
Yes, a bachelor is not married.
Yes, yes.

etc.

Ben Bacarisse

Jan 30, 2023, 5:05:35 PM1/30/23
Fritz Feldhase <franz.fri...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Monday, January 30, 2023 at 10:20:38 PM UTC+1, _ Olcott wrote:
>
>> ChatGPT:
>> Yes, if H never aborts its simulation of H, then the recursive
>> simulation of D by H would continue indefinitely.
>
> Yes, what?!
>
> "if H never aborts its simulation [...], then the [...] simulation
> [...] by H would continue indefinitely."
>
> is a tautology (or an analytical truth), idiot.

He may now add you to the list of people who agree with him! Since "it"
/would/ continue if "it" /were/ not aborted we /may/ abort "it" and
report "non-halting". The fact that the "it" we abort is the "it" we
are reporting on (and aborting "it" makes "it" halting) is just part of
the word game he's playing. (The exact count of hypotheticals,
subjunctives and ambiguous pronouns varies depending on how much
scrutiny he thinks the text will get.)

The bottom line...
Me: "do you still assert that H(P,P) == false is the "correct" answer
even though P(P) halts?"
PO: "Yes that is the correct answer even though P(P) halts."

The trick is to find words he can use to sneak the wrong answer past as
many people as possible.

--
Ben.