Tributyrin

Nelson J. Navarro

Feb 12, 2002, 6:34:30 PM2/12/02
Apparently Tributyrin (glycerol tributyrate), is an already FDA approved
food additive (I've seen it in CoQ-10 capsules somewhere), and, in regard to
anti-cancer activity (and perhaps anti-aging activity as well?), is
considered a butyrate analog, as is 4-Phenylbutyrate.

So, it may be that a potent anti-cancer (and possibly anti-aging) compound
is quite readily available?

Cancer Res 1999 Apr 1;59(7):1584-91 Related Articles, Books, LinkOut

Initiation of growth arrest and apoptosis of MCF-7 mammary carcinoma cells
by tributyrin, a triglyceride analogue of the short-chain fatty acid
butyrate, is associated with mitochondrial activity.

Heerdt BG, Houston MA, Anthony GM, Augenlicht LH.

Albert Einstein Cancer Center, Bronx, New York 10467, USA.

We investigated the effects of tributyrin, a triglyceride analogue of the
short-chain fatty acid butyrate and an approved food additive, establishing
induction of growth arrest and apoptosis of MCF-7 human mammary carcinoma
cells. Transient increased mitochondria-associated bax, dissipation of the
mitochondrial membrane potential (delta(psi)m), and caspase-3-independent
cleavage of poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase are evident as early as 4 h after
treatment of cells with tributyrin. These events are followed by the
transient accumulation of mitochondrial cytochrome c in the cytosol and,
finally, the generation and accumulation of cells with subdiploid DNA
content. During the period in which mitochondria-associated bax levels are
elevated, the delta(psi)m is disrupted, and cytochrome c is detected in the
cytosol, we show induction of p21WAF1/Cip1 in the absence of increased p53
and arrest of cells in G2-M. Thus, early mitochondria-associated events may
play a key role in initiating and/or coordinating tributyrin-mediated growth
arrest and apoptosis of wild-type p53 MCF-7 cells. Because effective
chemoprevention has been associated with agents that restore or maintain the
balance between proliferation and apoptosis, dietary tributyrin,
particularly during the critical period of mammary gland development, may be
a promising chemopreventive agent.

PMID: 10197633 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

J Cell Biochem Suppl 1995;22:247-53 Related Articles, Books, LinkOut

Butyrate and phenylacetate as differentiating agents: practical problems and
opportunities.

Newmark HL, Young CW.

Irving Weinstein Laboratory for Gastrointestinal Cancer Prevention,
Gastroenterology and Nutrition Science, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer
Center, New York, NY 10021, USA.

Differentiating agents, including butyrate, phenylacetate and several other
agents, have long been known to alter abnormal or transformed cell lines in
vitro to a more normal state including phenotype and function. The effect
depends on prolonged exposure to a minimum concentration of the agent. In
vivo studies of butyrate and analogues have been limited, largely due to
rapid in vivo metabolism. A butyrate prodrug, the triglyceride tributyrin,
shows great promise in achieving effective and prolonged serum levels when
given orally to mice and rats, and has been recommended for human trial. In
vitro, butyrate and its mono- and triglyceride have shown potent synergy
with retinoic acid, suggesting a ten-fold reduction in serum level
requirements. Other butyrate prodrugs have been prepared and studied;
several sugar esters of butyrate show promise. Phenylacetate, a normal
mammalian metabolite, is also a potent differentiating agent, but its
clinical use is limited by its objectionable odor per se and in treated
subjects. Phenylbutyrate, a prodrug of phenylacetate, is more acceptable and
may have greater promise. The availability of effective prodrugs of
effective differentiating agents, such as tributyrin and phenylbutyrate,
creates many opportunities for possible therapeutic and chemopreventive
applications, especially if synergy in vivo can be demonstrated with
retinoids (e.g., retinoic acid) or deltanoids (e.g., active vitamin D
analogues), confirming in vitro studies. Particular disease targets would
include certain leukemias, thalassemia, and sickle cell anemia.

PMID: 8538206 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Max Watt

Feb 14, 2002, 2:10:29 PM2/14/02
"Nelson J. Navarro" <nnav...@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:<aEha8.4307$QQ3.1...@news1.news.adelphia.net>...

> Apparently Tributyrin (glycerol tributyrate), is an already FDA approved
> food additive (I've seen it in CoQ-10 capsules somewhere), and, in regard to
> anti-cancer activity (and perhaps anti-aging activity as well?), is
> considered a butyrate analog, as is 4-Phenylbutyrate.
>
> So, it may be that a potent anti-cancer (and possibly anti-aging) compound
> is quite readily available?

What brand of CoQ-10 capsule did you see it in?

I believe tributyrate also inhibits lipolysis, which may have some
bearing ont he anti-cancer and longevity effects.

Nelson J. Navarro

Feb 14, 2002, 5:20:23 PM2/14/02
Go to http://www.metafoods.com/hearthealth/ and look at the ingredients of
their product called "Carni-Q-Gel".

Speaking of tributyrin, here's a study implying that tributyrin might even
be a more effective cancer fighter than 4-phenylbutyrate:

Cancer Lett 2001 Sep 28;171(1):57-65 Related Articles, Books, LinkOut

Tributyrin, an oral butyrate analogue, induces apoptosis through the
activation of caspase-3.

Clarke KO, Feinman R, Harrison LE.

Department of Surgery, UMDNJ--New Jersey Medical School, 185 South Orange
Avenue, MSB G588, Newark, NJ 07103, USA.

The purpose of this study was to investigate the anti-proliferative and
pro-apoptotic effects of the butyrate analogues, tributyrin (TB) and
phenylbutyrate (PB), in a colon cancer model. We demonstrate that HT-29
colon cancer cells exposed to PB and TB result in growth inhibition
associated with an induction of apoptosis mediated through the activation of
caspase-3 activity. A block in the G1/S cell cycle traverse associated with
a decrease in CDK2 (cyclin dependent kinase) protein levels and
retinoblastoma protein hypophosphorylation was also noted after PB and TB
exposure. Importantly, TB proved to be the most potent agent in its ability
to induce these phenotypic changes, and potentially may represent a novel
therapy for patients with advanced colorectal cancer.

PMID: 11485828 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

"Max Watt" <maxwa...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

John Barsell

Feb 14, 2002, 9:53:18 PM2/14/02
Tributyrin is a triglyceride of glycerol and three
butyric fatty acids.
Butyric acid (c4:0) may be the effective portion of sodium
butyrate, 4 phenybutyrate, tributyrin and Pivanex all of
which are reported to have anticancer effects by
increasing dedifferentiation. Recall that loss of cellular
specialization is common to both cancer and aging.
Butyric acid is a component of butter, 4-5% by weight,
and has long been known for its anti tumor properties.
www.ralphmoss.com/html/tributyrin.shtml

Tom Matthews

Feb 15, 2002, 6:02:03 AM2/15/02
Nelson J. Navarro wrote:

> Go to http://www.metafoods.com/hearthealth/ and look at the ingredients of
> their product called "Carni-Q-Gel".

Here is the (inactive) ingredient list:

Ingredients: Gelatin, Glycerin, sorbitol, purified water, titanium
dioxide, annatto seed extract, plus proprietary Bio-solv base
(polysorbate 80, hydroxylated lecithin, tributyrin, medium chain
triglycerides)

Which suggests to me that within a capsule also containing:

Vitamin C (ascorbyl palmitate) 12mg
Vitamin E (acetate)(Hydrosoluble) 60 IU
Coenzyme Q10 (Hydrosoluble) 30mg
L Carnitine (as L-Carnitine Fumerate 440 mg) 250mg

the amount of tributyrin would be ineffective in accomplishing any of
its reported effects.

--Tom Matthews

MoreLife for us all - http://morelife.org
Reality based tools for More Life in quantity & quality

Nelson J. Navarro

Feb 15, 2002, 7:29:18 AM2/15/02
Exactly! That's what makes it so exciting!

"John Barsell" <bar...@attbi.com> wrote in message

Niju-san

Feb 16, 2002, 12:53:42 PM2/16/02
"Apparently Tributyrin (glycerol tributyrate), is an already FDA approved
food additive"

I've had no luck finding it for sale on-line... most approved additives are
offered somewhere or another. Has anyone else found a commercial source?

Nelson J. Navarro

Feb 16, 2002, 8:14:01 PM2/16/02
I'm working on it. I'll post something on it if/when I find a good source.

"Niju-san" <nij...@telus.net> wrote in message

barnab...@gmail.com

Jan 13, 2020, 6:37:42 PM1/13/20
It also has muscle building or maintaining effects in aging through its epigenetic HDAC modulation in animal experiments. As a dietary supplement its kind of over-priced compared to its wholesale cost.