How about a new smart drugs newsgroup?

A. J. Moss

Dec 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/1/95
Discussion about smart drugs is still scattered over several different
newsgroups; in all of them, it has to compete with extraneous topics.
Isn't it time to create a separate newsgroup, just for smart drugs?

Here's a draft of a proposal to do just that; it's all more or less
self-explanatory. Let me know what you think about it.

(Please don't try to e-mail me just yet: my account is broken. I'll fix
it as soon as I can.)

REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION (RFD)
unmoderated group: sci.life-extension.smart-drugs
rename sci.life-extension to sci.life-extension.misc
change the newsgroups line of rec.drugs.misc

Proponent : Jani Poijärvi <gno...@brahman.nullnet.fi>

Please don't attempt to vote yet. Assuming the discussion goes smoothly,
a Call For Votes (CFV) will be posted by an independent third party 21
to 30 days from the date of this posting.

Follow-ups to this post are directed to news.groups, which is where this
proposal should be discussed.

Newsgroups line:
sci.life-extension.smart-drugs Nootropics & nutrients; cognition enhancement.
sci.life-extension.misc Extending the quality and duration of life.
rec.drugs.misc Drugs which don't have their own newsgroup.

RATIONALE
---------
Nootropics (cognition-enhancing, or "smart" drugs) are substances whose
regular use can boost your natural mental abilities, such as alertness,
concentration, attention span, memory and intelligence.

At present, there is no satisfactory forum for their discussion.
alt.psychoactives was originally created for this purpose, but its name
is lousy, which is why a large proportion of its traffic now concerns
psychedelic drugs. A lot of the nootropics discourse now takes place in
sci.life-extension; however, this group also deals with completely
unrelated techniques, such as cryonics and nanotech.

In short, these discussions are scattered over a wide range of
newsgroups, none of which are specific to that topic. There is a
pressing need to bring them all together in one place.

This issue has already been raised, with the proposal to create the group
"rec.drugs.smart". However, the name "sci.life-extension.smart-drugs"
places the group in a much more appropriate hierarchy. The use of smart
drugs matches the motives of life-extensionists, and cannot really be
described as recreational.

I've tried to make sci.life-extension.smart-drugs specific to smart drugs
and closely related topics, without making the overall sci.life-extension
hierarchy any less useful to its other readers. Please check the group
charters carefully, to check whether or not I've succeeded.

Life-extensionists will probably want to read both sci.life-extension.*
groups, and the split should make very little difference to them. The
main beneficiaries of the split will be the nootropics fans.

* * *

When a Usenet newsgroup is split, it is recommended (although not
absolutely required) that ".misc" be appended to the name of the
original group. In other words, if you don't want sci.life-extension to
be renamed to sci.life-extension.misc, the onus is on you to say why.

* * *

At present, the summary line for rec.drugs.misc reads:
"rec.drugs.misc Stimulants, sedatives, smart drugs et al."

The group's charter says:
$ This group is devoted to drugs which do not have their own subgroup
$ within rec.drugs. At present, examples of such drugs are:

$ Nootropics (smart drugs) [Other examples omitted.]

$ This list, which is not intended to be complete, will shorten if
$ and when a separate newsgroup is created for any of these drugs.

Nootropics will automatically become off-topic to rec.drugs.misc if
sci.life-extension.smart-drugs is created; the new rec.drugs.misc vote
won't change that. For purposes of accuracy and tidyness, the group's
summary line should be updated to reflect this.

CHARTERS
--------
sci.life-extension.smart-drugs
------------------------------
A newsgroup for discussion of techniques to improve the quality and/or
duration of life by any pharmaceutical or nutritional means: nootropics
(smart drugs), vitamins, minerals, amino acids, nucleic acids, etc.
Although most discussion will concern methods to improve cognitive
abilities, any measure of the quality of life may be considered.

Anabolic steroids are not considered an acceptable topic.

Much of the charter of sci.life-extension.misc is also applicable to
this group.

sci.life-extension.misc
-----------------------
This newsgroup is primarily for discussion of techniques for slowing,
stopping, and reversing the aging process, from both practical and
theoretical standpoints. This includes, as life-extensionists say,
"adding life to years as well as years to life" -- not just methods of
"extending" what might in some cases already be a state of senescent
decrepitude, but also ways to restore and maintain youth.

It deals with any relevant topic other than the drug- and nutrition-
based methods of sci.life-extension.smart-drugs; in particular, this
includes physics-based and/or futuristic techniques, such as cryonics
and nanotechnology.

The name of the group implies no stance on the merits of the book, "Life
Extension," by Pearson and Shaw.

(Most of this is taken from the existing charter of sci.life-extension.)

rec.drugs.misc
--------------
No changes to be made to this group's charter (except that nootropics
are to be removed from the list of examples of suitable topics.)

PROCEDURE
---------
This RFD is being issued in accordance with the guidelines set in the
"How to create a new Usenet newsgroup" FAQ that is regularly posted to
news.announce.newgroups. Its language is based on previously submitted
RFDs.

After a discussion period of 21 to 30 days, if there are no overwhelming
objections to the proposed groups, there will be a Call For Votes (CFV)
posted to the same groups as this RFD. The voting period will be at least
21 days. If the group passes by a 2/3 majority and receives 100 more YES
votes than NO votes, it will be created.

This RFD has been posted to:
news.announce.newgroups, news.groups, sci.life-extension,
alt.psychoactives, misc.health.alternative, sci.med.nutrition,
rec.drugs.misc, alt.drugs
====
"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind." -- Kipling

Mike Davis

Dec 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/4/95
In article <ajm1007-0112...@mac124.nmus.pwf.cam.ac.uk>,

ajm...@cus.cam.ac.uk (A. J. Moss) wrote:

> Discussion about smart drugs is still scattered over several different
> newsgroups; in all of them, it has to compete with extraneous topics.
> Isn't it time to create a separate newsgroup, just for smart drugs?

If it is time, I would suggest making a single addition to the alt.drugs
hierarchy: alt.drugs.nootropics. Beats the rigamorole being suggested.

BTW, I like it all under one roof rather than having to jump around from
group to group. If incorporating some pointers into subject headers were
possible, SD for smart drug related, you could search these out with the
search function in your browser.

--
Articles: Melatonin, Folate, Tryptophan, etc.; Discount Source List,
http://www.quake.net/~xdcrlab/hp.html, the SpringBoard

Gnosis

Dec 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/7/95

:
: If it is time, I would suggest making a single addition to the alt.drugs

: hierarchy: alt.drugs.nootropics. Beats the rigamorole being suggested.

No, it won't. If alt.drugs.nootropics were created now it'd be lucky
to get 10% propagation in a year (cf. alt.drugs.hard, created a year ago
and probably still under 20%, and things certainly haven't gotten any
better since then). rec.drugs.smart - or the sci group suggested by
Moss - would get much higher propagation much faster.

-- __
Jani "Gnosis" Poijärvi On the neverending quest /(o\ BRAHMAN
gno...@brahman.nullnet.fi for knowledge by identity. \o)/ +358-0-498797

Brian Manning Delaney

Dec 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/9/95

[* Note: discussions like this should take place in news.groups. This
is where follow-ups are being directed.]

ajm...@cus.cam.ac.uk (A. J. Moss) wrote, among other things:

>Discussion about smart drugs is still scattered over several different
>newsgroups; in all of them, it has to compete with extraneous topics.
>Isn't it time to create a separate newsgroup, just for smart drugs?
>

> REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION (RFD)

>Please don't attempt to vote yet. Assuming the discussion goes smoothly,
>a Call For Votes (CFV) will be posted by an independent third party 21
>to 30 days from the date of this posting.
>
>Follow-ups to this post are directed to news.groups, which is where this
>proposal should be discussed.
>

>Newsgroups line:
>sci.life-extension.smart-drugs Nootropics & nutrients; cognition enhancement.
>sci.life-extension.misc Extending the quality and duration of life.
>rec.drugs.misc Drugs which don't have their own newsgroup.

I would add the following:

rename Sci.cryonics: Sci.life-extension.cryonics.

This would make the name space even more organized:

sci.life-extension.smart-drugs Nootropics & nutrients; cognition enhancement.
sci.life-extension.misc Extending the quality and duration of life.

sci.life-extension.cryonics

--
Brian M. Delaney <b-de...@uchicago.edu> [Do not cc: Usenet articles
to me.] [Wrists: "Leave unambiguous typos."]

Mike Davis

Dec 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/14/95
In article <gnosi...@brahman.nullnet.fi>, gno...@brahman.nullnet.fi
(Gnosis) wrote:

> Mike Davis (xdc...@quake.net) wrote:
> : In article <ajm1007-0112...@mac124.nmus.pwf.cam.ac.uk>,

> : ajm...@cus.cam.ac.uk (A. J. Moss) wrote:
> : > Isn't it time to create a separate newsgroup, just for smart drugs?
> :
> : If it is time, I would suggest making a single addition to the alt.drugs
> : hierarchy: alt.drugs.nootropics. Beats the rigamorole being suggested.
>
> No, it won't. If alt.drugs.nootropics were created now it'd be lucky
> to get 10% propagation in a year

I will concede on the basis of propagation, not on a common sense
hierarchy. Sci.l-e is not well integrated into the sci. hierarchy, just
kind of tossed into it, can just as easily toss in sci.smart-drugs. With
the relatively low volume on s.l-e I think still think it makes great
sense to agree to mark smart drug messages with SD so the smart drug folks
can filter them out with there search engines, at least this would allow
documenting the traffic. The reasoning for adding a smart drug group onto
the s.l-e seems a little weak to me, sort of like, well, a lot of life
extension folks also are into smart drugs so lets tack it on here.

--
Articles: Melatonin, Folate, Tryptophan, etc.; Discount Source List,
http://www.quake.net/~xdcrlab/hp.html, the SpringBoard
ULTRANET: Ultrasound Technology Graphic Hot Links
http://www.quake.net/~xdcrlab/Ultrasound.html

Save the BW, I report unsolicited commercial email to the
Blacklist of Internet Advertisers

Mike Davis

Dec 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/14/95
In article <xdcrlab-1412...@xdcrlab.com>, xdc...@quake.net (Mike
Davis) wrote:

> Sci.l-e is not well integrated into the sci. hierarchy, just
> kind of tossed into it, can just as easily toss in sci.smart-drugs.

Looks like it really should have been grouped under
sci.bio.life-extension. There is a sci.cognitive,
sci.cognitive.enhancement could be a smart drug group.

Jonathan Grobe

Dec 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/15/95
In article <xdcrlab-1412...@xdcrlab.com>, xdc...@quake.net (Mike Davis) writes:
>In article <xdcrlab-1412...@xdcrlab.com>, xdc...@quake.net (Mike
>Davis) wrote:
>
>> Sci.l-e is not well integrated into the sci. hierarchy, just
>> kind of tossed into it, can just as easily toss in sci.smart-drugs.
>
>Looks like it really should have been grouped under
>sci.bio.life-extension. There is a sci.cognitive,
>sci.cognitive.enhancement could be a smart drug group.

There was an RFD for sci.cognitive.enhancement and there was a lot of
opposition to putting such a group in the sci.* hierarchy.

Jonathan Grobe gr...@netins.net

Oscar Gordon

Dec 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/15/95
: : ajm...@cus.cam.ac.uk (A. J. Moss) wrote:
: : > Discussion about smart drugs is still scattered over several different
: : > newsgroups; in all of them, it has to compete with extraneous topics.
: : > Isn't it time to create a separate newsgroup, just for smart drugs?
: :
A resounding, YES, it is time.
oscar

Mike Davis

Dec 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/22/95

> In article <xdcrlab-1412...@xdcrlab.com>, xdc...@quake.net
(Mike Davis) writes:
> >In article <xdcrlab-1412...@xdcrlab.com>, xdc...@quake.net (Mike
> >Davis) wrote:
> >
> >> Sci.l-e is not well integrated into the sci. hierarchy, just
> >> kind of tossed into it, can just as easily toss in sci.smart-drugs.
> >
> >Looks like it really should have been grouped under
> >sci.bio.life-extension. There is a sci.cognitive,
> >sci.cognitive.enhancement could be a smart drug group.
> >
> There was an RFD for sci.cognitive.enhancement and there was a lot of
> opposition to putting such a group in the sci.* hierarchy.

Looks like it is coming down to group propagation vs hierarchy argument, I
think I would buy into anything that would net a moderated sci.life-ext.
group. Would the .smart-drug variation pick up the commercial posts?

Mike Davis

Dec 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/23/95
In article <xdcrlab-2212...@xdcrlab.com>, xdc...@quake.net (Mike
Davis) wrote:

> Looks like it is coming down to group propagation vs hierarchy argument, I
> think I would buy into anything that would net a moderated sci.life-ext.
> group. Would the .smart-drug variation pick up the commercial posts?

Or maybe moderation via authorizing someone to use a cancelbot.

Octopus Fortunatus

Mar 20, 2023, 8:30:00 AM3/20/23
As we age, our bodies undergo various changes that can impact our health and wellbeing. Aging is often associated with a decline in cognitive function, an increase in chronic diseases, and a decrease in energy levels. While aging is a natural process that cannot be avoided, there are steps that we can take to improve our quality of life and potentially extend our lifespan.

One of the most promising approaches to promoting healthy aging is the use of supplements like nicotinamide mononucleotide (NMN) and resveratrol. These two supplements have been shown to work synergistically to promote healthy aging and extend lifespan.

NMN is a naturally occurring compound that is found in every cell in the body. It is a precursor to nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+), a coenzyme that is involved in various biological processes, including energy metabolism, DNA repair, and gene expression. As we age, our levels of NAD+ decline, which can contribute to age-related diseases and a decline in cognitive function.

Resveratrol, on the other hand, is a polyphenol that is found in grapes, berries, and other plants. It is known for its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties and has been shown to promote healthy aging by improving mitochondrial function, reducing oxidative stress, and enhancing cognitive function.

Together, NMN and resveratrol can work synergistically to promote healthy aging and extend lifespan. Here are some of the ways in which these supplements can benefit our health:

Boosting NAD+ levels
One of the primary benefits of NMN is its ability to boost NAD+ levels. NAD+ plays a crucial role in energy metabolism, DNA repair, and gene expression, and its levels decline as we age. By supplementing with NMN, we can increase NAD+ levels, which can improve mitochondrial function, enhance energy levels, and promote healthy aging.

Enhancing cognitive function
Resveratrol has been shown to enhance cognitive function by improving blood flow to the brain, reducing oxidative stress, and promoting the growth of new neurons. When combined with NMN, which also supports cognitive function through its impact on NAD+ levels, these supplements can help to maintain cognitive function as we age.

Reducing inflammation
Both NMN and resveratrol have anti-inflammatory properties that can help to reduce chronic inflammation, which is associated with many age-related diseases, including Alzheimer's disease, arthritis, and heart disease. By reducing inflammation, these supplements can promote overall health and wellbeing.

Improving mitochondrial function
Mitochondria are the powerhouses of our cells, and their function declines as we age. This decline can contribute to various age-related diseases, including Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease. NMN and resveratrol have both been shown to improve mitochondrial function, which can promote healthy aging and extend lifespan.

Promoting healthy aging
Overall, the combination of NMN and resveratrol has been shown to promote healthy aging by improving various biological processes that are involved in aging. By supporting cognitive function, reducing inflammation, and improving mitochondrial function, these supplements can help to maintain health and vitality as we age.

While NMN and resveratrol show promise as supplements for promoting healthy aging, it is important to note that they are not a magic bullet. They should be used in conjunction with other healthy lifestyle practices, such as regular exercise, a balanced diet, and stress management, to maximize their benefits.

In addition, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new supplement regimen, especially if you have any underlying health conditions or are taking medication.

In conclusion, the combination of NMN and resveratrol shows promise as a supplement regimen for promoting healthy aging and extending lifespan.

source: https://www.increaselifespan.net/2023/03/17/unlocking-the-secrets-of-longevity-supplements-that-may-increase-lifespan/