Etymology of Italian [celia] ("joke")

henh...@gmail.com

Oct 22, 2022, 5:12:36 PM10/22/22
Etymology of Italian [celia] ("joke")

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/celia
Does the word come from Saint Cecilia ?

i can't find it (the etym.) while searching in English.

i can read some French, German, Spanish... -- would this help ?

Christian Weisgerber

Oct 22, 2022, 7:30:08 PM10/22/22
On 2022-10-22, henh...@gmail.com <henh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Etymology of Italian [celia] ("joke")

Unknown.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber na...@mips.inka.de

Dingbat

Oct 23, 2022, 7:37:32 AM10/23/22
On Saturday, October 22, 2022 at 2:12:36 PM UTC-7, henh...@gmail.com wrote:
> Etymology of Italian [celia] ("joke")
>
> https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/celia
> Does the word come from Saint Cecilia ?
>
> i can't find it (the etym.) while searching in English.

<https://www.google.com/search?q=celia+etymology>
1) Heavenly, from Latin Caelum
2) Warm, from Greek kaelas
3) short for Cecilia, a legendary Christian martyr,
the female counterpart of Cecil

Daud Deden

Oct 23, 2022, 10:45:19 AM10/23/22
Light-hearted humor, levity, enlightening wit wrt ceiling, ciele, sky?

Christian Weisgerber

Oct 23, 2022, 1:30:06 PM10/23/22
On 2022-10-23, Dingbat <ranjit_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> Etymology of Italian [celia] ("joke")
>
><https://www.google.com/search?q=celia+etymology>
> 1) Heavenly, from Latin Caelum
> 2) Warm, from Greek kaelas
> 3) short for Cecilia, a legendary Christian martyr,
> the female counterpart of Cecil

Those etymologies are suggested for the name Celia, _not_ for the
Italian word with the meaning 'joke'.

henh...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2022, 2:14:22 PM10/23/22
thanks! for the clarification... on the Net we now have so many pages explaining the Meanings of names.

in this song... Apparently the 2 names are the same:
https://www.paulsimon.com/track/cecilia/

Celia, you’re breaking my heart
You’re shaking my confidence daily
Oh, Cecilia, I’m down on my knees ...................