Ger. Gewehr (gun), Gewähr (warranty) , Serb. kubura (handgun), ugovor (agreement)

Dušan Vukotić

Feb 28, 2007, 10:15:35 AM2/28/07
Chance resemblence? ;-)

Joachim Pense

Feb 28, 2007, 10:53:59 AM2/28/07
Am 28 Feb 2007 07:15:35 -0800 schrieb Dušan Vukotić:

> Chance resemblence? ;-)

Certainly not. Everything's related, and in the end they will get you.

Joachim

Heidi Graw

Feb 28, 2007, 12:26:37 PM2/28/07

>"Dušan Vukotić" <dusan....@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Chance resemblence? ;-)

Please explain the resemblance.

I used the Webster's multilanguage dictionary and came up with the
following:

That <kubura> apparently means holster.
<Ugovor> agreement.

If you wanted to find a resemblance to the German <Gewehr>, wouldn't you
have to use the Serbian <puska>, and for warranty <garancija>?

It seems to me you're trying to compare apples to oranges. Granted, both
are
fruits. The gun and holster are items related to weaponry, and agreement
and warranty are treaties of one kind or another.

However, gun does not mean holster.
Warranty doesn't quite mean the same as agreement.

Heidi

John Swindle

Feb 28, 2007, 2:44:32 PM2/28/07
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 17:26:37 GMT, "Heidi Graw" <hg...@telus.net>
wrote:

>>"Dušan Vukoti?" <dusan....@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> Chance resemblence? ;-)
>

> . . .

>It seems to me you're trying to compare apples to oranges. Granted, both
>are
>fruits. The gun and holster are items related to weaponry, and agreement
>and warranty are treaties of one kind or another.
>
>However, gun does not mean holster.
>Warranty doesn't quite mean the same as agreement.

In ancient times Germans and Serbians threw fruit at one another when
signing treaties.

See also:
Why an Exotic Fruit Is the World's Only Weapon Against Bird Flu
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/health_medical/article319716.ece

Message has been deleted

Dušan Vukotić

Feb 28, 2007, 4:28:38 PM2/28/07
On Feb 28, 6:26 pm, "Heidi Graw" <h...@telus.net> wrote:
> >"Dušan Vukotić" <dusan.vuko...@gmail.com> wrote in message

In Serbian 'kubura' is old fashioned pistol, handgun and it never
meant 'holster'. I was surprised when I found the meaning 'holster' in
Serbian - English online dictionaries.

http://www.etnomuzej.co.yu/e0419.htm
On the bottom of page you can see the picture of that old-fashioned
gun (Ethnographic Museum in Belgrade).

Kubura also has the maning 'trouble', 'struggle'
In fact, I wanted to see is there any possible relation among these
German and Serbian words.

English war and word!
Are these two words mutually related and are they related with German
Wehr (protection, defense)?

Serbian 'z-borit-i' - 'go-worit! (talk, speak); boriti (fight),
pregovarati (negotiate), progovoriti (start to talk); preko (over),
priča (story), progo-voriti = proča-vrljati = po-pričati (talk, speak,
converse);

Gewähr and Serb. govor (speech, talk)?
I will continue this tomorrow :-)

All the best.
Dušan

Paul J Kriha

Mar 1, 2007, 12:18:42 AM3/1/07
John Swindle <jcsw...@msn.com> wrote in message news:ijlbu25q08304s8of...@4ax.com...

> On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 17:26:37 GMT, "Heidi Graw" <hg...@telus.net>
> wrote:
> >>"Dusan Vukoti?" <dusan....@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> >> Chance resemblence? ;-)
> >
> > . . .
> >
> >It seems to me you're trying to compare apples to oranges. Granted, both
> >are
> >fruits. The gun and holster are items related to weaponry, and agreement
> >and warranty are treaties of one kind or another.
> >
> >However, gun does not mean holster.
> >Warranty doesn't quite mean the same as agreement.
>
> In ancient times Germans and Serbians threw fruit at one another when
> signing treaties.

Are you saying they were just pomegranates, not hand grenades?

Was it just an unfortunate linguistic slip-up when they accidentally
switched from pome- to hand- variety?

pjk

John Swindle

Mar 1, 2007, 5:05:18 AM3/1/07
On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 18:18:42 +1300, "Paul J Kriha"
<paul.nos...@paradise.net.nz> wrote:

>John Swindle <jcsw...@msn.com> wrote in message news:ijlbu25q08304s8of...@4ax.com...

>> > . . .
>> >
>> >It seems to me you're trying to compare apples to oranges. Granted, both
>> >are
>> >fruits. The gun and holster are items related to weaponry, and agreement
>> >and warranty are treaties of one kind or another.
>> >
>> >However, gun does not mean holster.
>> >Warranty doesn't quite mean the same as agreement.
>>
>> In ancient times Germans and Serbians threw fruit at one another when
>> signing treaties.
>
>Are you saying they were just pomegranates, not hand grenades?
>
>Was it just an unfortunate linguistic slip-up when they accidentally
>switched from pome- to hand- variety?

We can take it for granite that it wasn't a coincidence.

Dušan Vukotić

Mar 1, 2007, 12:14:28 PM3/1/07
On Mar 1, 11:05 am, John Swindle <jcswin...@msn.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 18:18:42 +1300, "Paul J Kriha"
>

> <paul.nospam.kr...@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> >John Swindle <jcswin...@msn.com> wrote in messagenews:ijlbu25q08304s8of...@4ax.com...

> >> In ancient times Germans and Serbians threw fruit at one another when
> >> signing treaties.
>
> >Are you saying they were just pomegranates, not hand grenades?
>
> >Was it just an unfortunate linguistic slip-up when they accidentally
> >switched from pome- to hand- variety?
>
> We can take it for granite that it wasn't a coincidence.

We can take it for Granicus in Linguistic Science! ;-)

DV

Dušan Vukotić

Mar 1, 2007, 1:14:54 PM3/1/07
On Feb 28, 6:26 pm, "Heidi Graw" <h...@telus.net> wrote:

> Warranty doesn't quite mean the same as agreement.

Imagine this:
Eng. warranty <=> guarantee
Serb. ugovoreno (agreed) <=> Ger. gewähren (to grant)
Serb. govorancija (idle speech)

Compare all the above (English, German and Serbian) words. Do you
think they are false cognates?
Of course, these words are real cognate words. It is provable
semantically, phonetically, historically, philosophically...

I will demonstrate it later... as soon as these dickheads have shot
out their arrows of bullshit-wisdom. :-)

DV

Heidi Graw

Mar 2, 2007, 11:44:52 AM3/2/07

>"Dušan Vukotić" <dusan....@gmail.com> wrote in message

On Feb 28, 6:26 pm, "Heidi Graw" <h...@telus.net> wrote:
> >"Dušan Vukotić" <dusan.vuko...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Chance resemblence? ;-)

(snip)

>In Serbian 'kubura' is old fashioned pistol, handgun and it never
>meant 'holster'. I was surprised when I found the meaning 'holster' in
>Serbian - English online dictionaries.

>http://www.etnomuzej.co.yu/e0419.htm
>On the bottom of page you can see the picture of that old-fashioned
>gun (Ethnographic Museum in Belgrade).

>Kubura also has the maning 'trouble', 'struggle'
>In fact, I wanted to see is there any possible relation among these
>German and Serbian words.

Thanks for clearing that up, Dusan.

>English war

German <Krieg>

>and word!

German <Wort>

>Are these two words mutually related and are they related with German
>Wehr (protection, defense)?

The On-Line Etymology dictionary gives the following entry for
<war>

"late O.E. (c.1050), wyrre, werre, from O.N.Fr. werre "war" (Fr. guerre),
from Frank. *werra, from P.Gmc. *werso (cf. O.S. werran, O.H.G. werran, Ger.
verwirren "to confuse, perplex"). Cognates suggest the original sense was
"to bring into confusion." There was no common Gmc. word for "war" at the
dawn of historical times. O.E. had many poetic words for "war" (guð, heaðo,
hild, wig, all common in personal names), but the usual one to translate L.
bellum was gewin "struggle, strife" (related to win). Sp., Port., It. guerra
are from the same source; Romanic peoples turned to Gmc. for a word to avoid
L. bellum because its form tended to merge with bello- "beautiful." The verb
meaning "to make war on" is recorded from 1154. First record of war time is
1387. Warpath (1775) is from N.Amer. Ind., as are war-whoop (1761),
war-paint (1826), war-path (1775), and war-dance (1757). War crime first
attested 1906. War chest is attested from 1901; now usually fig. War games
translates Ger. Kriegspiel (see kriegspiel)."

and for <word>

O.E. word "speech, talk, utterance, word," from P.Gmc. *wurdan (cf. O.S.,
O.Fris. word, Du. woord, O.H.G., Ger. wort, O.N. orð, Goth. waurd), from PIE
*were- "speak, say" (see verb). The meaning "promise" was in O.E., as was
the theological sense. In the plural, the meaning "verbal altercation" (as
in to have words with someone) dates from 1462. Wordy is O.E. wordig
"verbose." Wording "choice of words" apparently was coined by Milton (in
"Eikonoklastes," 1649). Word processor first recorded 1970. A word to the
wise is from L. phrase verbum sapienti satis est "a word to the wise is
enough." Word of mouth is recorded from c.1553.

As for the german words <Wehr, Krieg, and/or Wort>...I don't have access to
an On-Line German Etymology source. Perhaps someone else can provide this
information.

>Dusan wrote:

>Serbian 'z-borit-i' - 'go-worit! (talk, speak);

Hmmm...maybe only if the Germans had ever used the term "geworted." "Ich
hab' das geworted."... I have worded it. That sounds a bit strained to my
ears. ;-)

>boriti (fight),

Streiten, zanken,

Borste...bristle. Borstig...surly. Er war boritig....he was surly, bristly,
quick to anger. ;-)

>pregovarati (negotiate), progovoriti (start to talk); preko (over),
>priča (story), progo-voriti = proča-vrljati = po-pričati (talk, speak,
>converse);

Mramorakian slang: "Przkosish"...incomprehensibly, strangely, peculiarly.

>Gewähr and Serb. govor (speech, talk)?
>I will continue this tomorrow :-)

Mamorakian dialect: "Jetz'gacks doch!" .... speak already!

Perhaps gacken and govor (geworted)... <chuckle>

I've got a list of Mramorakian words and expressions which are absolutely
hilarious! ;-)

Heidi

Heidi Graw

Mar 2, 2007, 11:57:30 AM3/2/07

On Feb 28, 6:26 pm, "Heidi Graw" <h...@telus.net> wrote:

>Dusan wrote:
>Imagine this:
>Eng. warranty <=> guarantee
>Serb. ugovoreno (agreed) <=> Ger. gewähren (to grant)
>Serb. govorancija (idle speech)

>Compare all the above (English, German and Serbian) words. Do you
>think they are false cognates?
>Of course, these words are real cognate words. It is provable
>semantically, phonetically, historically, philosophically...

On-Line Etymology dictionary claims:

"1679, perhaps via Sp. garante, from O.Fr. guarantie, pp. of fem. guarantir
"to protect," from guarant "warrant," from Frank. *warjand-s, from P.Gmc.
*war-, from PIE base *wer- "to cover" (see warrant). For form evolution, see
gu-. Originally "person giving something as security," sense of the "pledge"
itself (which is properly a guarranty) first recorded 1786. The verb is
attested from 1791."

The Serbian word "govorancija" reminds me of "governance"...to govern over
something, to protect...to guide and lead...to guarantee certain rights.
Goverment parliamentarians also yap a lot and argue.

The On-Line Etymology Dictionary claims the following for <govern>

"1297, from O.Fr. governer "govern," from L. gubernare "to direct, rule,
guide," originally "to steer," from Gk. kybernan "to steer or pilot a ship,
direct" (the root of cybernetics). The -k- to -g- sound shift is perhaps via
the medium of Etruscan. Governess "female ruler" is 1483, shortening of
governouresse "a woman who rules;" in the sense of "a female teacher in a
private home" it is attested from 1712. Government is first attested 1553,
from O.Fr. governement (replacing M.E. governance); governor (c.1300) is
from L. gubernatorem (nom. gubernator) "director, ruler, governor,"
originally "steersman, pilot." Gubernatorial (1734, chiefly in Amer.Eng.)
preserves the L. form. "

If we look at the Greek <kybernan>...to steer, to direct, to govern...the
Serbian word <kubura> definitely indicates a similarity if we ascribe the
meaning of "argument" to the word <kubura>...directors and government types
often engage in verbal combat.

>I will demonstrate it later... as soon as these dickheads have shot
>out their arrows of bullshit-wisdom. :-)

<chuckle>

Take care,
Heidi

Dušan Vukotić

Mar 4, 2007, 7:57:23 AM3/4/07
On Mar 2, 5:57 pm, "Heidi Graw" <h...@telus.net> wrote:
> "Dušan Vukotić" <dusan.vuko...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Congratulation Heidi! You made my day!

You are better than Vasmer!

He mentioned Lith. gaudžiù, gausti звучать ( buzz, drone) thinking it
was akin to the Russian word 'говор'; John Atkinson cited it
uncritically in one of his messages to my "Cybalist" topic.
MHG. 'gewern' sound the same as modern English 'govern'
Gebühr (fee)
gebaren behavior
gewahr (aware, cognisant), Gebärde (gesture)
Greek κυβερνώ (govern, be in power)
OCS говоръ/govor - speech, speaking, talk; Pol. gwar, Czech hovor.

Let us go a little bit farther:
English GUARD <=> WARD; OE weardian
Serbian UGOVORITI (agree upon) <=> UTVRDITI (to get AGREED)
Serbian GOVORITI (talk) <=> UGOVORITI (agree upon) <=> U-TVRDITI
(allege, assert, uphold)
Serbian UT-VRDA, VARDA, TVRĐAVA, UTVRĐENJE (castle, stronhold,
citadel);
TVRDNJA, TVRĐENJE (assertion)
Lithuanian TVIRTOVE (citadel; Serb. tvrđava) => Lithuanian TVIRTINTI
(assert; Serb. tvrditi)
Serbian TVRD (hard) <=> Lithuanian TVIRTAS (hard)
Serbian UDVARATI (woo, court); 'udvarati' is in fact the same as
UGOVARATI (in this case: arrange marriage)
Serbian VRDATI (quibble) <=> IZ-GOVOR
Kuo tamsta vardu? What is your name ?
Lithuanian VARDAS (name).

Serbian ČUVAR (keeper) <=> English KEEPER
English WARDEN <=> VRATAR (porter, keeper); from Serbian DVER (door),
DOVRATAK, VRATA (door), Greek ΘΥΡΑ (gate), German TÜR, Sanskrit DVARAM
(door), Skt. APA-VRITAM (wide open), Serb. OTVOR (opening), Latvian
DURVIS (door; this Latvian word could be the cognate of Slavic DRVO
(tree); the doors are generally made of wood), Latv. ATVERT (open),
Latv. TURET (keep), Latv. AIT-KOPIS (shepherd) Lithuanian DURYS
(door), ATVERTI (open); Hebrew KEBES (lamb, sheep, young ram); Serbian
KOBASA, KOBASICA (shepherd's food)

Serb. OT-VARATI (open) => Serb. OD-GO-VARATI (answer, respond)

Serbian TABOR (camp), ČADOR, ŠATOR (tent) - all coming from DVOR
(house) and STVORITI (make, create); we can see here that the Serbian
number ČETIRI, ČETVORO (four, Greek τέσσερα, τέταρτος, Latin QUATTUOR,
Turkish dört, German vier from Serb. DVOR, English TOWER, Lat. turris,
English town DOVER?; cf. above Serb. TVRĐAVA castle, fortress) apeared
from the noun DVOR (house) or ČADOR (tent) taking in account the four
sides of the house or tent.

Serbian KUBURA (trouble), KUBURENJE (coping with troubles), BORENJE
(fighting, combat)
Serbian GO-VORENJE (speech, talk); UD-VARANJE (wooing, condescending
talk); hence Serbian VARANJE (cheating), IZNE-VERITI from IZ-GNE-
VERITI (betry).

The main problem is to see is the Serbian word 'govor' originating
from the compound word PRE-GO-VOR (PRO-GO-VORITI, PRO-Z-BORITI start
to utter, speak) or PRE-GO-VARATI (discuss, negotiate). Another,
almost forgotten Serbian word is specially interesting - it is PRO-TA-
BORITI (to chat; Serbian "došla je da koju protabori" (she came for a
lettle chat). This word connects DVOR (house) and GOVOR (speech);
hence TVRĐAVA, UTVRĐENJE (fortress) and TVRDNJA, TVRĐENJE (assertion)

Of course, my intention here is not to bring some apriori conclusions.
The above words are only a material for an eventual (more serious)
reaserche in the future.

DV

Wayne Brown

Mar 4, 2007, 10:16:45 AM3/4/07
Dušan Vukotić wrote:
[...]

> Serbian 'z-borit-i' - 'go-worit! (talk, speak); boriti (fight),
> pregovarati (negotiate), progovoriti (start to talk); preko (over),
> priča (story), progo-voriti = proča-vrljati = po-pričati (talk, speak,
> converse);
>
> Gewähr and Serb. govor (speech, talk)?
[...]

Comparing words in different languages by the way they sound to us today
usually leads to the wrong conclusions, but etymological
reference works can offer clarification. The Serbian "goworit" is from
an ancient root found in other Slavic and Indo-European languages, but,
according to standard etymological dictionaries, it has nothing to do
with the modern German word Gewähr.

Regards, ----- WB.

Heidi Graw

Mar 4, 2007, 11:53:14 AM3/4/07

>"Dušan Vukotić" <dusan....@gmail.com> wrote in message
(snip)

>Dusan wrote:
>Congratulation Heidi! You made my day!

<chuckle>...not bad for someone who's one point short of genius. ;-)

>You are better than Vasmer!

LOL....thank you, Dusan! That's a huge honour, considering I'm
not a linguist. Perhaps I missed my calling? ;-)

(snip)

>Let us go a little bit farther:
>English GUARD <=> WARD; OE weardian
Serbian UGOVORITI (agree upon) <=> UTVRDITI (to get AGREED)
Serbian GOVORITI (talk) <=> UGOVORITI (agree upon) <=> U-TVRDITI
(allege, assert, uphold)
Serbian UT-VRDA, VARDA, TVRĐAVA, UTVRĐENJE (castle, stronhold,
citadel);

ON <gardr> ... fence, enclosure, court, farmyard, dwelling place.
<ut-gardr> would mean outside of the fence or enclosure.

Does <ut> in Serbian also mean "out?"

ON <vara>...to notice, pay attention, observe.

>TVRDNJA, TVRĐENJE (assertion)

ON <verja>...to defend, to protect.

>Lithuanian TVIRTOVE (citadel; Serb. tvrđava) => Lithuanian TVIRTINTI
>(assert; Serb. tvrditi)
>Serbian TVRD (hard) <=> Lithuanian TVIRTAS (hard)

ON <tveir>...two...it takes at least two for there to exist an assertion...
one to assert and one to hear it. A "a tveirtove" could be a two towered
citadel. It takes at least <tweir> to make fast or hard an agreement.

>Serbian UDVARATI (woo, court); 'udvarati' is in fact the same as
>UGOVARATI (in this case: arrange marriage)

ON <vara>...to notice, observe, expect, pay attention (woo and go
acourting).

>Serbian VRDATI (quibble) <=> IZ-GOVOR
>Kuo tamsta vardu? What is your name ?
>Lithuanian VARDAS (name).

>Serbian ČUVAR (keeper) <=> English KEEPER
>English WARDEN <=> VRATAR (porter, keeper);

ON <verja> defend, protect (keep).

>from Serbian DVER (door),

ON <dyrr> dooway, door.

(snip)

>Dusan wrote:
>Of course, my intention here is not to bring some apriori conclusions.
>The above words are only a material for an eventual (more serious)
>reaserche in the future.

Consider the migration pattern from Central Asia...some went the southern
route through Greece and Italy. Others went the northern route...
Slavic...to
Old Norse, to Icelandic, to Danish, to German????

Maybe a deeper investigation into from where Old Norse came from, or to
what extent it was influenced by other languages. It looks to me Serbian
influenced to exist in the Germanic language tree. I do not know to what
degree.

Can you look into these Old Norse words on this site and see if many more
can be connected to the Serbian language?

http://www.utexas.edu/cola/centers/lrc/eieol/norol-BF-X.html

You might also want to take a look at Old Icelandic.

I don't know any of those languages, but merely seeing the spelling
of the words leads me to believe *some* level of connection exists.

Heidi

Dušan Vukotić

Mar 4, 2007, 1:25:39 PM3/4/07

Wayne,
The problem is that we do not know from which "root" the Slavic
'govor' sprang . Pokorny would say it was the root *gou- (*goue-,
*gū-, *gow-), but it is wrong because it coresponds to Old Indian
'gavate' (to sound), Serb. 'zvuk' (sound), 'zovnuti' (call) and
'zvanje' (profession, title); of course, it demands more profound
explanation, which will connect Latin 'aqua' and Serbian
'kovanje' (coin, hammering), 'jeka' (echo!) and 'od-je-
kivanje' (reecho)...

The basis here was GON-BEL-GON ;-) or in the world of "erudits" it
would be close to *berg- because Slavic 'govor' was a compound word
'go-vor', in reality reduced from 'preko-vor' (Serb. priča story,
'pričati' speak, talk, preach!; Serb. pridika (preach!; German
predigen!; Serb. prego-vori negotiations, literally "speach fight";
here we can see that 'voriti' in Slavic 'go-voriti' is equal to
English 'war', i.e. Serb. boriti fight).

I know that the majority of the participants on this list is not able
to understand what I am talking about; especially those who are deeply
swamped in "scientific" contemplation and who are not unable to see
that the diachronic development of words can be resolved only if we
start our researches first with semantic than logic and if we include
phonetic changes in the end. I would say we began from the wrong end
and it was the reason why linguistic science made a little progress
from its first steps, 2 centuries ago.

DV

I hope you would not mind if ask you one discrete question: what is
the meaning of your name (Wayne)?
It sounds to me as Serbian name Vojin (from Bojan, boj battle, bojna/
vojna military, vojnik/bojnik soldier).

Message has been deleted

Dušan Vukotić

Mar 4, 2007, 1:36:25 PM3/4/07

Correction: "who are not able" (3rd paragraf, 3rd line)

Dušan Vukotić

Mar 5, 2007, 12:07:56 AM3/5/07

> I hope you would not mind if ask you one discrete question: what is
> the meaning of your name (Wayne)?
> It sounds to me as Serbian name Vojin (from Bojan, boj battle, bojna/
> vojna military, vojnik/bojnik soldier).

Ok, I found that Wayn means "wagon builder" or "driver"; Serb. voziti,
vožnja (drive), from ur-basis BEL-GON (Lat. pello. pellere - pulse,
Serb. polaziti begin to go; English begin) ;-)

DV

Dušan Vukotić

Mar 5, 2007, 12:10:17 AM3/5/07

Either Eng. vehicle, Serb. vozilo :-)

Dušan Vukotić

Mar 5, 2007, 12:42:35 PM3/5/07

> >Congratulation Heidi! You made my day!
>
> <chuckle>...not bad for someone who's one point short of genius. ;-)

Your (g)noble (knowledgeable/Gnabenstein) genes never stop
working! ;-)

> >You are better than Vasmer!
>
> LOL....thank you, Dusan! That's a huge honour, considering I'm
> not a linguist. Perhaps I missed my calling? ;-)

As you can see, being well educated linguist means being mislead into
the "root uprooted" land of self-deception. So, you have not missed
the most important calling of mindful, dignified, intelligent, open,
thoughtful and introspective human being.

> >Let us go a little bit farther:
> >English GUARD <=> WARD; OE weardian
>
> Serbian UGOVORITI (agree upon) <=> UTVRDITI (to get AGREED)
> Serbian GOVORITI (talk) <=> UGOVORITI (agree upon) <=> U-TVRDITI
> (allege, assert, uphold)
> Serbian UT-VRDA, VARDA, TVRĐAVA, UTVRĐENJE (castle, stronhold,
> citadel);
>
> ON <gardr> ... fence, enclosure, court, farmyard, dwelling place.
> <ut-gardr> would mean outside of the fence or enclosure.

In this case we have the other basis - HOR-GON (Serb. 'o-grada' /
fence/)

> Does <ut> in Serbian also mean "out?"

Yes, 'ut' or 'ot/od' prepositions - Serb. 'od-graditi' (remove fence),
'ot-ići' go away, 'od-učiti' (unlearn, wean, put OUT of one's memory
or knowledge); 'ut-eći' (run away, escape, go OUT of danger).

> ON <vara>...to notice, pay attention, observe.
>
> >TVRDNJA, TVRĐENJE (assertion)
>
> ON <verja>...to defend, to protect.

Serbian 'boriti' (to fight), 'braniti' (defend); 'od-vratiti' (to
force the enemy back/out)

> >Lithuanian TVIRTOVE (citadel; Serb. tvrđava) => Lithuanian TVIRTINTI
> >(assert; Serb. tvrditi)
> >Serbian TVRD (hard) <=> Lithuanian TVIRTAS (hard)
>
> ON <tveir>...two...it takes at least two for there to exist an assertion...
> one to assert and one to hear it. A "a tveirtove" could be a two towered
> citadel. It takes at least <tweir> to make fast or hard an agreement.

This is a long story. In Serbian the number two came from the verb
'odbijati' (subtract, remove a part from the whole). Of course, when
you remove a part of the whole you do separate (Serb. od-vajati) one
part from another and you make two (Serb. dva) parts of one. Serb.
odbijati (remove a part from the whole) => odvajati (separate) =>
udvajati (double) => dva (two)

As I already told, Germanic, Romance, Greek and Slavic languages are
much more closer to each other than we have ever supposed.

> Can you look into these Old Norse words on this site and see if many more
> can be connected to the Serbian language?

Over 90% of Germanic and Slavic words are the cognates. I am talking
about the words that could be completely traced down to their source.

> http://www.utexas.edu/cola/centers/lrc/eieol/norol-BF-X.html

I have been visiting this site for a long time. Thank you,
anyway... :-)

> You might also want to take a look at Old Icelandic.
> I don't know any of those languages, but merely seeing the spelling
> of the words leads me to believe *some* level of connection exists.

With best regards,

Dušan

Dušan Vukotić

Mar 5, 2007, 2:46:37 PM3/5/07
On Mar 5, 6:42 pm, "Dušan Vukotić" <dusan.vuko...@gmail.com> wrote:

Very interesting reasoning, indeed!

Heidi wrote:
> ON <tveir>...two...it takes at least two for there to exist an assertion...
> one to assert and one to hear it. A "a tveirtove" could be a two towered
> citadel. It takes at least <tweir> to make fast or hard an agreement.

OIsl. tviræði (ambiguity); in fact <tvi> (two) <reiða> (attendance,
service); this sounds close to Serbian <dvored> (two-arrayed or two-
raw);
<reiða> (attendance, service) is the same word as Serbian <rad> (work,
service)
OIsl. tveir (tvœr, tvau) and
OIsl. vörðr (warder; Serb. vratar)
OIsl. orð word; Serb. oriti (speak, resound), Lat. orator (speaker)
OIsl. prédika (preach; Serb. pridika)
"koma á rœðu við..." (to enter into talk with); German reden (talk) -
Serb. go-voriti (speak) => Serb. oriti (speak), Ger. Wort => OIsl. orð
(word); if we compare all these words and if we know that the both
part of the Serbian word 'prego-varati' (negotiate) came from
'obraćati' (invoke) i.e. 'pričati' (talk) or 'pridikovati' (preach) we
shall see that their basis was BR-GON (opposite driving)... in case of
the Serb. 'pre-go-vara-nje' (negotiation) we have the same basis
reduplicated (br-gon-br-gon).

Although this process seems complicated it is very simple in its
essence. Tomorrow I will try to explain the way in which Slavic and
Germanic words are indivisible related.
OE weorð; Serb. vredan (worthy)
ON verðr - we see that Old Norse "worth" is R suffixed in the same way
as above 'tveir' (tvai); what is the meaning of that R?

DV