Arrangement has 2 R's but Derangement has 1 R ---- because...

henh...@gmail.com

Oct 12, 2022, 5:23:03 PM10/12/22
Arrangement has 2 R's
but
Derangement has 1 R ---- because
[Arrangement] came to English from Old-French much earlier ?

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/derangement

i was noticing how even the most Deranged ppl would have lots of Correct Thoughts.... that it'd be very difficult to have all incorrect thoughts.

( [derangement] as a term in Math, Combinatorics )

What (else) is an example of interesting discrepancy (or diff.) between a Word's ordinary and specialized meanings ?

Ruud Harmsen

Oct 13, 2022, 4:01:02 AM10/13/22
Wed, 12 Oct 2022 14:23:01 -0700 (PDT): "henh...@gmail.com"
<henh...@gmail.com> scribeva:

>Arrangement has 2 R's
> but
>Derangement has 1 R ---- because
> [Arrangement] came to English from Old-French much earlier ?

Latin ad-.

--
Ruud Harmsen, http://rudhar.com

wugi

Oct 13, 2022, 5:46:09 AM10/13/22
Op 13/10/2022 om 10:00 schreef Ruud Harmsen:
> Wed, 12 Oct 2022 14:23:01 -0700 (PDT): "henh...@gmail.com"
> <henh...@gmail.com> scribeva:
>
>> Arrangement has 2 R's
>> but
>> Derangement has 1 R ---- because
>> [Arrangement] came to English from Old-French much earlier ?
>
> Latin ad-.

Arrive, derive
Arrogate, derogate

Apposition, depose
append, depend

oppress [< ob-], depress
oppose, depose

etc...

--
guido wugi

Christian Weisgerber

Oct 13, 2022, 9:30:06 AM10/13/22
On 2022-10-12, henh...@gmail.com <henh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Arrangement has 2 R's
> but
> Derangement has 1 R ---- because
> [Arrangement] came to English from Old-French much earlier ?

Some Latin prefixes assimilate to a following consonant. A good
example is con-, which turns into com- (combine), col- (collaborate)
or cor- (correct).

The Latin prefix ad- also undergoes assimilation. Now, "arrangement"
isn't Latin, it's French. And Latin ad- had already become a- in
French. But French orthography sometimes imitates Latin and so you
have "arranger" or "alléger" as if an ad- had been assimilated.
The double letter does not affect pronunciation, since French doesn't
have geminate consonants.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber na...@mips.inka.de

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Oct 13, 2022, 11:18:06 AM10/13/22
Not usually, but I had a colleague who always pronounced collègue as col lègue.

--
Athel -- French and British, living mainly in England until 1987.

henh...@gmail.com

Oct 13, 2022, 7:25:25 PM10/13/22
thank you (all) ! ...

so it seems... Other words could've obtained the Double-Consonants (by assimilation)

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/adsorb ----> Assorb

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/adroit (?) -----> Arroit

apprehend -------- already has PP

henh...@gmail.com

Oct 13, 2022, 7:32:21 PM10/13/22
that reminded me of ....

While shooting the film [Gosford Park]
a certain scene required several takes
because
(Dame) Kristin Scott Thomas
kept pronouncing the word [Condolences] in the French way.

________________

There is no animal rights tag in the closing credits of this movie. The shooting scene was filmed with real birds, and they were shot.

________________

In the DVD commentary, producer and director Robert Altman stated he included the "f" word several times on purpose to get an R-rating because he didn't want kids to see this movie. He thought kids wouldn't like the movie, so he wanted to keep them out (especially fourteen-year-old boys).

Daud Deden

Oct 14, 2022, 7:12:24 AM10/14/22
Illicit vs Elicit?

wugi

Oct 14, 2022, 12:41:09 PM10/14/22
Op 14/10/2022 om 1:25 schreef henh...@gmail.com:
> On Thursday, October 13, 2022 at 2:46:09 AM UTC-7, wugi wrote:
>> Op 13/10/2022 om 10:00 schreef Ruud Harmsen:
>>> Wed, 12 Oct 2022 14:23:01 -0700 (PDT): "henh...@gmail.com"
>>> <henh...@gmail.com> scribeva:

>>> Latin ad-.
>>>

>> Arrive, derive
>> Arrogate, derogate
>>
>> Apposition, depose
>> append, depend
>>
>> oppress [< ob-], depress
>> oppose, depose
>>
>> etc...
>>

> thank you (all) ! ...
>
> so it seems... Other words could've obtained the Double-Consonants (by assimilation)
>
> https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/adsorb ----> Assorb

Like Italian
This one not, as it is not < *~ ad rectum but < ~ ad directum.
Or it should be a second phase assimiliation.

> apprehend -------- already has PP

BTW L. prehendere has a nice false etymology as *~ for-hand; the right
etymo being ~ for-get. (with nasalised stem in L.)

--
guido wugi

Dingbat

Oct 17, 2022, 7:05:15 AM10/17/22
On Thursday, October 13, 2022 at 6:30:06 AM UTC-7, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> On 2022-10-12, henh...@gmail.com <henh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Arrangement has 2 R's
> > but
> > Derangement has 1 R ---- because
> > [Arrangement] came to English from Old-French much earlier ?
> Some Latin prefixes assimilate to a following consonant. A good
> example is con-, which turns into com- (combine), col- (collaborate)
> or cor- (correct).
>
> The Latin prefix ad- also undergoes assimilation. Now, "arrangement"
> isn't Latin, it's French. And Latin ad- had already become a- in
> French. But French orthography sometimes imitates Latin and so you
> have "arranger" or "alléger" as if an ad- had been assimilated.

If it were not assimilated, would it be adranger?

> The double letter does not affect pronunciation, since French doesn't
> have geminate consonants.

Why does derrière have 1 double r and 1 single r?

Christian Weisgerber

Oct 17, 2022, 9:30:06 AM10/17/22
On 2022-10-17, Dingbat <ranjit_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> The Latin prefix ad- also undergoes assimilation. Now, "arrangement"
>> isn't Latin, it's French. And Latin ad- had already become a- in
>> French. But French orthography sometimes imitates Latin and so you
>> have "arranger" or "alléger" as if an ad- had been assimilated.
>>
> If it were not assimilated, would it be adranger?

Yes.

>> The double letter does not affect pronunciation, since French doesn't
>> have geminate consonants.
>>
> Why does derrière have 1 double r and 1 single r?

It's from Vulgar Latin *de retro, so the -rr- is not etymological.
It may be by analogy with "arrière", which in turn derives from
VLat *ad retro.

Actually, TLFi says the -rr- is by analogy with Old French
derrain < VLat *deretranus.

wugi

Oct 17, 2022, 9:38:56 AM10/17/22
Op 17/10/2022 om 13:05 schreef Dingbat:
> On Thursday, October 13, 2022 at 6:30:06 AM UTC-7, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
>> On 2022-10-12, henh...@gmail.com <henh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Arrangement has 2 R's
>>> but
>>> Derangement has 1 R ---- because
>>> [Arrangement] came to English from Old-French much earlier ?
>> Some Latin prefixes assimilate to a following consonant. A good
>> example is con-, which turns into com- (combine), col- (collaborate)
>> or cor- (correct).
>>
>> The Latin prefix ad- also undergoes assimilation. Now, "arrangement"
>> isn't Latin, it's French. And Latin ad- had already become a- in
>> French. But French orthography sometimes imitates Latin and so you
>> have "arranger" or "alléger" as if an ad- had been assimilated.
>>
> If it were not assimilated, would it be adranger?

If French already had a,à for ad, then there is no assimilation here.
Arranger is attested in xii century, says my Larousse.

There is araser < raser. But could be from ?ab-raser as well.
And also with other consonnants, without assimilation:
amener < mener,
avenir < venir (!E. adventure is a latinisation:
https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=adventure : "The -d- was restored in
English 15c.-16c.; in French the attempt to restore it at about the same
time was rejected.")
aparté < à part
apercevoir < percevoir
aliter < lit
etc....

>> The double letter does not affect pronunciation, since French doesn't
>> have geminate consonants.
>>
> Why does derrière have 1 double r and 1 single r?

It was deriere in 1080, says my Larousse: "refait sur derrain (v.
dernier)". And < pop. L. de-retro.

dernier : < o.F. derrain < pop.L. deretranus < deretro.

arrière: pop.L. *adretro.

So, direct Latin heritage here.

--
guido wugi

Christian Weisgerber

Oct 17, 2022, 10:30:07 AM10/17/22
On 2022-10-13, Athel Cornish-Bowden <acor...@imm.cnrs.fr> wrote:

>> The double letter does not affect pronunciation, since French doesn't
>> have geminate consonants.
>
> Not usually, but I had a colleague who always pronounced collègue as col lègue.

That's a hypercorrection.

There are a very few verb forms where /ʁʁ/ constrasts with /ʁ/, at
least in normative pronunciation, as in

je courais /kuʁɛ/ (imperfect)
je courrais /kuʁʁɛ/ (conditional)

This only happens where two tense stems would be otherwise
indistinguishable. E.g. pourrais /puʁɛ/ does not double the /ʁ/,
because the verb has no contrasting *pour- stem (it's pouv-).

One way to analyze this, e.g. on French Wiktionary, is to assign
the ʁ's to different syllables: /kuʁ.ʁɛ/.

I think the only verbs affected are courir, quérir, mourir and their
derivatives.