Lauren Boebert pronounced "wanton" like the Chinese dumpling

S K

Mar 3, 2023, 2:24:12 PM3/3/23
outside of core vocabulary, aren't there many native words native speakers of non-phonetic languages don't know how to pronounce?

Ruud Harmsen

Mar 3, 2023, 3:35:24 PM3/3/23
Fri, 3 Mar 2023 11:24:11 -0800 (PST): S K <skpf...@gmail.com>
scribeva:
>outside of core vocabulary, aren't there many native words native speakers of non-phonetic languages don't know how to pronounce?

99% of English words have obvious pronunciations, to native speakers
and experienced L2 learners alike. Because there is a lot of
systematics in it:
23 years old, still quite valid: https://www.zompist.com/spell.html

I have been aware of the bizarreness of the spelling of English all my
life, but I have no memories of ever finding it really difficult. I
learnt the words along with their spelling, and then it just doesn't
matter much how weird it is, logically. They're just pictures
representing words. Look at the word level, not the character level,
and there are hardly any problems.
--
Ruud Harmsen, http://rudhar.com

Dingbat

Mar 7, 2023, 9:57:32 PM3/7/23
On Friday, March 3, 2023 at 11:24:12 AM UTC-8, S K wrote:
> outside of core vocabulary, aren't there many native words native speakers of non-phonetic languages don't know how to pronounce?

Lauren has a fairly standard English pronunciation with initial stress. Some speakers distinguish Loren from it by giving Loren final stress. The Chinese don't pronounce wanton like English speakers, so which pronunciation of wanton do you mean? Not that it matters; an oddball pronunciation of Lauren seems uninteresting.

Tak To

Mar 8, 2023, 7:30:40 PM3/8/23
On 3/3/2023 2:24 PM, S K wrote:
> outside of core vocabulary, aren't there many native words native speakers of non-phonetic languages don't know how to pronounce?

Yes. Over 90% of all Chinese characters are rarely used and
their pronunciations are unknown to (practically) anyone.

At the same time, there are many colloquial terms (esp in
Chinese languages other than Mandarin) that (practically) no
one knows how to write down using characters.

--
Tak
Tak To ta...@alum.mit.eduxx