debunk vs 'splain

bruce bowser

Dec 15, 2021, 7:54:30 AM12/15/21
Which sentence is better?

1) Please 'splain the Mars Curiosity pictures
2) Please debunk the Mars Curiosity pictures

-- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viI2OTy74uM
-- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs_YNHW6bIw

DKleinecke

Dec 15, 2021, 4:06:47 PM12/15/21
On Wednesday, December 15, 2021 at 4:54:30 AM UTC-8, bruce bowser wrote:
> Which sentence is better?
>
> 1) Please 'splain the Mars Curiosity pictures
> 2) Please debunk the Mars Curiosity pictures

The word "'splain", if admitted into the English language, should be written
"splain". I don't think it is an English word. Clearly it is not a version of
"explain". But it exists and seems to be used as though it meant "debunk".

2 is better.

Peter T. Daniels

Dec 15, 2021, 5:10:13 PM12/15/21
You don't have a TV and in particular didn't have one in the early 1950s!

Ruud Harmsen

Dec 16, 2021, 12:36:01 AM12/16/21
Wed, 15 Dec 2021 13:06:45 -0800 (PST): DKleinecke
<dklei...@gmail.com> scribeva:
A back-formation from "mansplaining"?

--
Ruud Harmsen, http://rudhar.com

Peter T. Daniels

Dec 16, 2021, 7:54:32 AM12/16/21
Uh, no.

You have probably never heard of Ricky Ricardo.

> >2 is better.

They say different things, of course.

Ruud Harmsen

Dec 16, 2021, 9:51:28 AM12/16/21
Thu, 16 Dec 2021 06:35:59 +0100: Ruud Harmsen <r...@rudhar.com>
scribeva:
Ricky Ricardo rings no bell to me,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucy_and_Ricky_Ricardo
although I do remember Lucy Ball from the 60s of 70s. But I never
found that funny, so I didn't really pay attention.

Peter T. Daniels

Dec 16, 2021, 10:03:07 AM12/16/21
On Thursday, December 16, 2021 at 9:51:28 AM UTC-5, Ruud Harmsen wrote:
> Thu, 16 Dec 2021 06:35:59 +0100: Ruud Harmsen <r...@rudhar.com>
> scribeva:
> >Wed, 15 Dec 2021 13:06:45 -0800 (PST): DKleinecke
> ><dklei...@gmail.com> scribeva:

> >>The word "'splain", if admitted into the English language, should be written
> >>"splain". I don't think it is an English word. Clearly it is not a version of
> >>"explain". But it exists and seems to be used as though it meant "debunk".
> >A back-formation from "mansplaining"?

Interesting that you deleted the very remark you are responding to.

> Ricky Ricardo rings no bell to me,
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucy_and_Ricky_Ricardo
> although I do remember Lucy Ball from the 60s of 70s. But I never
> found that funny, so I didn't really pay attention.

"Lucy Ball"?

Lucy Ricardo was played by Lucille Ball, who had had a long if undistinguished
career in B-movies, both dramatic and comedic, and then on radio before the
opportunity to transfer her successful radio series to TV. According to Aaron
Sorkin, who wrote and directed the new biopic about them, she agreed to do
the TV series if her husband would be played by her husband -- who was constantly
touring with his big-band and she wanted to be with him.

The various series she tried after the divorce, usually featuring Gale
Gordon and sad attempts at physical comedy, were not successful.

Ruud Harmsen

Dec 16, 2021, 3:05:13 PM12/16/21
Thu, 16 Dec 2021 07:03:05 -0800 (PST): "Peter T. Daniels"
<gram...@verizon.net> scribeva:

>On Thursday, December 16, 2021 at 9:51:28 AM UTC-5, Ruud Harmsen wrote:
>> Thu, 16 Dec 2021 06:35:59 +0100: Ruud Harmsen <r...@rudhar.com>
>> scribeva:
>> >Wed, 15 Dec 2021 13:06:45 -0800 (PST): DKleinecke
>> ><dklei...@gmail.com> scribeva:

>> >A back-formation from "mansplaining"?
>
>Interesting that you deleted the very remark you are responding to.

That was a technical problem: I accidently had already deleted it (not
kept it) when I decided I still wanted to reply. Agent has no undo. So
I replied to my own message, from memory.

>> Ricky Ricardo rings no bell to me,
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucy_and_Ricky_Ricardo
>> although I do remember Lucy Ball from the 60s of 70s. But I never
>> found that funny, so I didn't really pay attention.
>
>"Lucy Ball"?
>
>Lucy Ricardo was played by Lucille Ball, who had had a long if undistinguished
>career in B-movies, both dramatic and comedic, and then on radio before the
>opportunity to transfer her successful radio series to TV. According to Aaron
>Sorkin, who wrote and directed the new biopic about them, she agreed to do
>the TV series if her husband would be played by her husband -- who was constantly
>touring with his big-band and she wanted to be with him.
>
>The various series she tried after the divorce, usually featuring Gale
>Gordon and sad attempts at physical comedy, were not successful.

So be it.