Re: Who is Noam Chomsky

Ross Clark

Jul 16, 2022, 6:42:56 AM7/16/22
On 16/07/2022 7:02 p.m., Steve Hayes wrote:
> About Noam Chomsky
>
> Considered the founder of modern linguistics, Noam Chomsky is one of
> the most cited scholars in modern history. Among his groundbreaking
> books are “Syntactic Structures”, “Language and Mind,” “Aspects of the
> Theory of Syntax,” and “The Minimalist Program,” each of which has
> made distinct contributions to the development of the field. He has
> received numerous awards, including the Kyoto Prize in Basic Sciences,
> the Helmholtz Medal and the Ben Franklin Medal in Computer and
> Cognitive Science.
>
> Chomsky introduced the Chomsky hierarchy, generative grammar and the
> concept of a universal grammar, which underlies all human speech and
> is based in the innate structure of the mind/brain. Chomsky has not
> only transformed the field of linguistics, his work has influenced
> fields such as cognitive science, philosophy, psychology, computer
> science, mathematics, childhood education, and anthropology.
>
> Chomsky is also one of the most influential public intellectuals in
> the world. He has written more than 100 books, his most recent being
> “Requiem for the American Dream: The 10 Principles of Concentration of
> Wealth & Power.”
>
> Chomsky joined the UA in fall 2017, coming from the Massachusetts
> Institute of Technology, where he worked since 1955 and was Institute
> Professor, later Institute Professor emeritus.
> Research Interests
>
> Linguistic Theory, Syntax, Semantics, Philosophy of Language
> Selected Publications
>
> List of Articles (PDF)
> List of Books (PDF)
>
> Source:
> https://linguistics.arizona.edu/user/noam-chomsky

Thanks for this update. I knew he was some years post-retirement at MIT,
but didn't know about Arizona.

From Wiki:
-------------
Chomsky retired from MIT in 2002, but continued to conduct research and
seminars on campus as an emeritus.
In 2017, Chomsky taught a short-term politics course at the University
of Arizona in Tucson and was later hired as a part-time professor in the
linguistics department there, with his duties including teaching and
public seminars. His salary is covered by philanthropic donations.
-------------

Was this what you wanted to discuss?

Peter T. Daniels

Jul 16, 2022, 8:49:56 AM7/16/22
His last few pamphlets (most with co-authors) have been more and
more incoherent. (He was never a good writer.) One wonders what
those classes and seminars might be like at age 93 1/2.

Arnaud Fournet

Jul 17, 2022, 6:48:43 AM7/17/22
Le samedi 16 juillet 2022 à 12:42:56 UTC+2, benl...@ihug.co.nz a écrit :
> On 16/07/2022 7:02 p.m., Steve Hayes wrote:
> > About Noam Chomsky
> >
> > Considered the founder of modern linguistics,
Noam Chomsky never was a linguist at any time.

DKleinecke

Jul 19, 2022, 6:14:56 PM7/19/22
On Sunday, July 17, 2022 at 3:48:43 AM UTC-7, Arnaud Fournet wrote:
> Le samedi 16 juillet 2022 à 12:42:56 UTC+2, benl...@ihug.co.nz a écrit :
> > On 16/07/2022 7:02 p.m., Steve Hayes wrote:
> > > About Noam Chomsky
> > >
> > > Considered the founder of modern linguistics,

> Noam Chomsky never was a linguist at any time.

That's too harsh. We must make allowances for mistakes to be made.

Chomsky made lots of mistakes. He has (had?) some skill at spotting
problems but a very heavy hand at suggesting solutions. And, as I see
it, almost no tolerance for ideas contrary to his own.

Perhaps we linguists would have wasted these last sixty years anyway.

Arnaud Fournet

Jul 22, 2022, 1:58:32 AM7/22/22
Le mercredi 20 juillet 2022 à 00:14:56 UTC+2, DKleinecke a écrit :
> On Sunday, July 17, 2022 at 3:48:43 AM UTC-7, Arnaud Fournet wrote:

> > Noam Chomsky never was a linguist at any time.
> That's too harsh. We must make allowances for mistakes to be made.

No , it's not harsh.
Noam Chomsky never was a linguist at any time.
Incidentally, I've the feeling that (genuine) linguists in English-speaking countries are to be found in Departments of Anthropology, not in Departments of Linguistics. A clear illustration of this is Roger Blench, who IMO is more a linguist than an anthrologist.

Peter T. Daniels

Jul 22, 2022, 8:40:28 AM7/22/22
He's English, not American, and based in Cambridge, apparently
as an Independent Scholar.

Arnaud Fournet

Jul 23, 2022, 4:08:57 AM7/23/22
I was speaking of English-speaking countries in general, not of the USA in particular.

Peter T. Daniels

Jul 23, 2022, 8:24:22 AM7/23/22
And I was pointing out that he is _not in any department at all_,
and therefore not an example of your claim.

Of course there are more linguists in anthropology departments,
because many universities do not have linguistics departments.
You will also find them in language departments and in area
studies departments.

Your unfamiliarity with the structure of academic institutions has
nothing to do with the nature of linguistics.

Arnaud Fournet

Jul 24, 2022, 6:14:25 AM7/24/22
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Blench
Just try to learn something...

Peter T. Daniels

Jul 24, 2022, 8:50:13 AM7/24/22
Where do you think I got the information that he has no academic
position, moron?

Arnaud Fournet

Jul 24, 2022, 1:32:31 PM7/24/22
Again, what's your pb? senile jerk?
I'm amazed.

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Jul 24, 2022, 3:50:14 PM7/24/22
Roger Blench has published 12 articles in serious journals (including,
most recently Nature Communications) in the past ten years go. That
strikes me as a total indicating a reasonable degree of activity. What
does it matter if he has an academic post or not?

--
Athel -- French and British, living mainly in England until 1987.

Peter T. Daniels

Jul 24, 2022, 4:17:51 PM7/24/22
It's gotta be a lot more than that.

Athel Cornish-Bowden