Re: Why do theory of computation problems require pure functions? [ PSR error]

olcott

Sep 19, 2021, 12:39:32 PM9/19/21
On 9/19/2021 11:11 AM, André G. Isaak wrote:
> On 2021-09-19 09:46, olcott wrote:

>>> Where did I define or even mention a 'decidability decider'? Above I
>>> discussed (but did not define) a DECIDER decider, i.e. a TM which
>>> determines whether another TM qualifies as a decider.

>>> So what exactly is it that the above is deciding? And how does this
>>> relate to Rice? If you want to claim this is somehow related to rice,
>>> you need to identify some semantic property that you claim to be able
>>> to decide.
>>>
>>> André
>>>

>> It is deciding that either H/P or H1/P form the pathological
>> self-reference error(Olcott 2004). As I said in 2004 this is the same
>> error as the Liar Paradox. This means that either H/P or H1/P are not
>> correctly decidable.
>
> The post in which I mentioned a 'decider decider' which you somehow
> misread as 'decidability decider' was intended to clarify a single
> sentence from an earlier post which you entirely ignored. Why don't you
> therein.
>
> Your ill-defined notion of a 'pathological self-reference error' doesn't
> appear to be a property of a Turing Machine, which is what Rice's
> theorem is concerned with. To the extent that it is a property at all,
> it appears to be a property of specific computations, so this has
> absolutely no relevance to Rice.
>
> André

It is the property of H(P,P).

u32 PSR_Olcott_2004(u32 P)
{
return H1(P,P) != H(P,P);
}

Decides that H(P,P) cannot correctly decide the halt status of its
input, thus a semantic property of H relative to P.

The Liar Paradox works this same way.
"This sentence is not true."
When it refers to itself it has the pathological self-reference
error(Olcott 2004).

This is the same as H(P,P) where the input to H refers to H.

When we transform the Liar Paradox so that it does not refer to itself

This sentence is not true: "2 + 3 = 7" then the pathological
self-reference error(Olcott 2004) is eliminated.

The same thing occurs with H1(P,P).

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein