Gorillas speak cunning lingo

Dingbat

Sep 24, 2021, 3:56:50 AM9/24/21
Gorillas speak cunning lingo to zoogoers' mirth and/or horror:
https://nypost.com/2021/09/23/gorillas-shock-onlookers-with-oral-sex-at-bronx-zoo-video/

Note: Just a pun. Not related to linguistics. Moneypenny
calling James Bond a cunning linguist comes to mind.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120347/characters/nm0094039

wugi

Sep 24, 2021, 4:28:24 AM9/24/21
Op 24/09/2021 om 9:56 schreef Dingbat:
> Gorillas speak cunning lingo to zoogoers' mirth and/or horror:
> https://nypost.com/2021/09/23/gorillas-shock-onlookers-with-oral-sex-at-bronx-zoo-video/
>
> Note: Just a pun. Not related to linguistics.

A lapsilingus? ;)

--

guido wugi

Dingbat

Sep 24, 2021, 5:12:38 AM9/24/21
On Friday, September 24, 2021 at 1:28:24 AM UTC-7, wugi wrote:
> Op 24/09/2021 om 9:56 schreef Dingbat:
> > Gorillas speak cunning lingo to zoogoers' mirth and/or horror:
> > https://nypost.com/2021/09/23/gorillas-shock-onlookers-with-oral-sex-at-bronx-zoo-video/
> >
> > Note: Just a pun. Not related to linguistics.
> A lapsilingus? ;)

I'm unable to appreciate your response. A Lapsi was an apostate in the early church. I don't know another meaning of Lapsi.

wugi

Sep 24, 2021, 10:41:12 AM9/24/21
Op 24/09/2021 om 11:12 schreef Dingbat:
> On Friday, September 24, 2021 at 1:28:24 AM UTC-7, wugi wrote:
>> Op 24/09/2021 om 9:56 schreef Dingbat:
>>> Gorillas speak cunning lingo to zoogoers' mirth and/or horror:
>>> https://nypost.com/2021/09/23/gorillas-shock-onlookers-with-oral-sex-at-bronx-zoo-video/
>>>
>>> Note: Just a pun. Not related to linguistics.
>> A lapsilingus? ;)
> I'm unable to appreciate your response. A Lapsi was an apostate in the early church. I don't know another meaning of Lapsi.

A lapsus linguae, contaminated by a cunnilingus. A counterpun, and yet
one of my own making, though obviously not appreciated, if understood,
by third parties.

--

guido wugi

Dingbat

Sep 24, 2021, 12:20:29 PM9/24/21
Ha ha! Too much ellipsis to understand at 1st.

Dingbat

Sep 26, 2021, 11:13:47 PM9/26/21
Why isn't it LAPSUS LINGUA? Whence the E ending?
> --

The title for Artist Edgar Cardoze's 2016 Stubbs Gallery showing was 'Lapsus Brutus,' a colloquial Mexican saying meaning “a slip of the tongue is by no error.”

1) What is the literal meaning of Brutus?
2) Would it be Brutus in Latin too or would it have an inflected ending? (E tu Brutae = You too Brutus) has an inflected ending.

wugi

Sep 27, 2021, 4:42:17 AM9/27/21
Op 27/09/2021 om 5:13 schreef Dingbat:
> On Friday, September 24, 2021 at 7:41:12 AM UTC-7, wugi wrote:

>>> I'm unable to appreciate your response. A Lapsi was an apostate in the early church. I don't know another meaning of Lapsi.
>> A lapsus linguae, contaminated by a cunnilingus. A counterpun, and yet
>> one of my own making, though obviously not appreciated, if understood,
>> by third parties.
>>

> Why isn't it LAPSUS LINGUA? Whence the E ending?

A slip *of* the tongue.

> The title for Artist Edgar Cardoze's 2016 Stubbs Gallery showing was 'Lapsus Brutus,' a colloquial Mexican saying meaning “a slip of the tongue is by no error.”
>
> 1) What is the literal meaning of Brutus?

Eh, brute
https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=brute

> 2) Would it be Brutus in Latin too or would it have an inflected ending? (E tu Brutae = You too Brutus) has an inflected ending.

Et tu Brute?
Vocative. Seems to be from Shakespeare. I know of

Tu quoque fili mi?
https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tu_quoque

--

guido wugi

Ross Clark

Sep 27, 2021, 3:32:32 PM9/27/21
On 27/09/2021 4:13 p.m., Dingbat wrote:
> On Friday, September 24, 2021 at 7:41:12 AM UTC-7, wugi wrote:

>>> I'm unable to appreciate your response. A Lapsi was an apostate in the early church. I don't know another meaning of Lapsi.
>> A lapsus linguae, contaminated by a cunnilingus. A counterpun, and yet
>> one of my own making, though obviously not appreciated, if understood,
>> by third parties.
>>

> Why isn't it LAPSUS LINGUA? Whence the E ending?
>> --
>>
> The title for Artist Edgar Cardoze's 2016 Stubbs Gallery showing was 'Lapsus Brutus,' a colloquial Mexican saying meaning “a slip of the tongue is by no error.”

Colloquial Mexicans speak Latin? And how did they get that entire saying
out of those two words?
Actually you've messed up the punctuation: the quotes should close after
"tongue". See
https://www.stubbsgallery.com/exhibitions/30/overview/

So the Latin phrase "lapsus brutus" is used in Spanish to mean a slip of
the tongue. This source agrees that it's colloquial, and adds "tono
bromista" which is something like "jocular".

https://www.wordreference.com/es/en/translation.asp?spen=lapsus%20brutus

> 1) What is the literal meaning of Brutus?

"heavy, immovable; dull, insensible, without feeling or reason" (from
the house dictionary). So something like "stupid slip".

> 2) Would it be Brutus in Latin too or would it have an inflected ending? (E tu Brutae = You too Brutus) has an inflected ending.

It's not the personal name here, it's an adjective. And it has an
inflected ending (-us) which agrees with the noun it modifies
(masculine, nominative, singular).

Dingbat

Sep 27, 2021, 5:33:53 PM9/27/21
Thanks. I've only heard it pronounced, not seen it spelled. The speaker's Et sounded like Eh. Perhaps it was [e?] with the Roman
[t] replaced by some Anglophones' glottal stop [?]. That would explain why it sounded like Eh. Perhaps his Eight too sounds like
Eh.

Dingbat

Sep 28, 2021, 1:51:01 AM9/28/21
On Monday, September 27, 2021 at 12:32:32 PM UTC-7, benl...@ihug.co.nz wrote:
> On 27/09/2021 4:13 p.m., Dingbat wrote:

> >> A lapsus linguae, contaminated by a cunnilingus. A counterpun, and yet
> >> one of my own making, though obviously not appreciated, if understood,
> >> by third parties.
> >>

> > Why isn't it LAPSUS LINGUA? Whence the E ending?
> >> --
> >>
> > The title for Artist Edgar Cardoze's 2016 Stubbs Gallery showing was 'Lapsus Brutus,' a colloquial Mexican saying meaning “a slip of the tongue is by no error.”
> Colloquial Mexicans speak Latin? And how did they get that entire saying
> out of those two words?

I presume that it's by surveying what people mean when they use the term.

> Actually you've messed up the punctuation: the quotes should close after
> "tongue". See
> https://www.stubbsgallery.com/exhibitions/30/overview/
>
> So the Latin phrase "lapsus brutus" is used in Spanish to mean a slip of
> the tongue. This source agrees that it's colloquial, and adds "tono
> bromista" which is something like "jocular".
>
> https://www.wordreference.com/es/en/translation.asp?spen=lapsus%20brutus
> > 1) What is the literal meaning of Brutus?
> "heavy, immovable; dull, insensible, without feeling or reason" (from
> the house dictionary). So something like "stupid slip".

Notwithstanding idiomatic usage, an intentional slip ought to be described with an adjective that insinuates that it is a clever, cunning or guileful slip, not a stupid one.

wugi

Sep 28, 2021, 5:39:19 AM9/28/21
Op 28/09/2021 om 7:50 schreef Dingbat:

> Notwithstanding idiomatic usage, an intentional slip ought to be described with an adjective that insinuates that it is a clever, cunning or guileful slip, not a stupid one.

Is there a word for a cunning/intentional/... slip of the tongue, in
some language?

It's what I called 'lapsilingus' in the first place: intentional funny
tongue slips. In Dutch there's quite a number of them. In English too
I'm sure.

--

guido wugi

Ross Clark

Sep 28, 2021, 6:12:19 AM9/28/21
But it is not an "intentional" slip. You read that into it because you
misread the punctuation. What was "by no error" was not the slip, but
the choice of this phrase as the title of his exhibition, as the article
goes on to explain.

Dingbat

Sep 29, 2021, 4:42:56 AM9/29/21
Comprehension dawns! Thanks for the explanation.