(funny) hybrid words like Shogun-ate ?

henh...@gmail.com

Jul 1, 2022, 4:06:44 PM7/1/22
Are there other (funny) hybrid words like Shogun-ate ?

i always thought that [Payola] was funny, but here i'm looking for
hybrids of 2 (or more) languages.

_____________________________
shogunate (n.) 1871, a hybrid, from Japanese shogun + Latinate suffix -ate (1).

_____________________________
shogun (n.) 1610s, "hereditary commander of a Japanese army," from Japanese (sei-i-tai) shogun "(barbarian-subduing) chief" (late 12c.), sound-substitution for Chinese chiang chiin, literally "lead army."

_____________________________
-ate (1) word-forming element used in forming nouns from Latin words ending in -atus, -atum (such as estate, primate, senate). Those that came to English via French often arrived with -at, but an -e was added after c. 1400 to indicate the long vowel.

The suffix also can mark adjectives formed from Latin past participles in -atus, -ata (such as desolate, moderate, separate); again, they often were adopted in Middle English as -at, with an -e appended after c. 1400.

Ross Clark

Jul 1, 2022, 4:41:09 PM7/1/22
[continuing from OED]
" After 13th cent. many of the popular words were refashioned with -at,
as sené, senat, avoué, avocat; and all new words have been thus formed,
e.g. assassinat, attentat, épiscopat, palatinat, professorat, syndicat.
In English these were originally adopted in their French form, estat,
prelat, etc.; after 1400, -e was added to mark the long vowel, estate,
prelate, etc., and all later words from French took -ate at once. After
these, English words are formed directly on Latin, as curātus ‘curate,’
or on Latin analogies, as alderman-ate, cf. triumvir-ate. In meaning,
words in -ate are chiefly:

a. Substantives denoting office or function, or the persons performing
it, as marquisate, professorate, episcopate, syndicate, aldermanate."

...so with other exotic rulers: sultanate, emirate, probably others...

henh...@gmail.com

Jul 1, 2022, 5:10:55 PM7/1/22
thanks! re: Emirate

>>> Etymologically, emirate or amirate (Arabic: إمارة imārah, plural: إمارات imārāt) is the quality, dignity, office, or territorial competence of any emir (prince, commander, governor, etc.).

the big reason why Victorians wanted to invent and use a word like Shogunate must be phonological.... because a word like Samurai, Daimyo, Shogun, Mikado... within a Eng. sentence doesn't sit well.

Potentate ------------- that's another funny -ate word...

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

---------------------- i guess the word Prince generally means King

Ross Clark

Jul 1, 2022, 5:25:10 PM7/1/22
Nonsense.