POSSIBLE LATIN PHRASE

ron silton

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99
I have a military patch from Vietnam that I received years ago that contains
what I assume is a Latin phrase. I've always wondered what means in English.
It reads, "Neconjuge Nobiscum."

joye

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99

With the help of an on-line Latin dictionary, I found:

necnon : and also.

neco : to kill, slay, put to death.
neco : to slay.

juge : always.
jugis : continual, ceaseless, perennial, constant.
jugis : continual, perpetual.
jugiter : continually, perpetually, constantly / instantly.
jugiter : perpetually, continually.
jugulo : to slaughter.
jugum : ridge, rising.

nobis : (abl.) us /there'll be no one as happy as US.
nobis : (dat.) us /the world belongs to US.

cum : (prep + abl.) with.
cum : (with indicative) when.
cum : (with subjunctive) when, as, while, since, although.

Check again for the spelling of the first word; it could make a BIG
difference in the meaning.

Perhaps someone who knows some Latin grammar can put together an accurate
translation for you.

Joye Lore-Lawson
jo...@netins.net

John Woodgate

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99
<7kiomt$d0c$1...@news.ifx.net>, ron silton <sil...@ifx.net> inimitably

wrote:
>I have a military patch from Vietnam that I received years ago that contains
>what I assume is a Latin phrase. I've always wondered what means in English.
>It reads, "Neconjuge Nobiscum."

It's very bad Latin for 'Don't mix with us'.
Phone +44 (0)1268 747839 Fax +44 (0)1268 777124.
Did you hear about the hungry genetic engineer who made a pig of himself?

John Woodgate

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99
<notjoye-2006...@blfd-01-110.dialup.netins.net>, joye

<not...@nospam.net> inimitably wrote:
>necnon : and also.
>
> neco : to kill, slay, put to death.
> neco : to slay.
>
>juge : always.
> jugis : continual, ceaseless, perennial, constant.
> jugis : continual, perpetual.
> jugiter : continually, perpetually, constantly / instantly.
> jugiter : perpetually, continually.
> jugulo : to slaughter.
> jugum : ridge, rising.

Well, that's inventive, but the split of the (possibly invented)
compound 'Neconjuge' is 'Ne' (negation) + 'conjuge' = 2nd person
singular, present imperative of 'conjugare' - to mix.

In the context, the unfeasible meaning 'Always slay with us' is not
inapt.(8-o(

Mary Cassidy

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99
John Woodgate ha scritto:

> <7kiomt$d0c$1...@news.ifx.net>, ron silton <sil...@ifx.net> inimitably
> wrote:
> >I have a military patch from Vietnam that I received years ago that contains
> >what I assume is a Latin phrase. I've always wondered what means in English.
> >It reads, "Neconjuge Nobiscum."
> >

> It's very bad Latin for 'Don't mix with us'.
> --

"Don't tangle with us", maybe?

Mary
(remove "nospam" to reply)

---
Old lawyers never die... they just lose their appeal.

pauldanaher

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
Actually, it's almost certainly even worse Latin for "don't fuck with us"!

John Woodgate <j...@jmwa.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> <7kiomt$d0c$1...@news.ifx.net>, ron silton <sil...@ifx.net> inimitably
> wrote:
> >I have a military patch from Vietnam that I received years ago that
contains
> >what I assume is a Latin phrase. I've always wondered what means in
English.
> >It reads, "Neconjuge Nobiscum."
> >

> It's very bad Latin for 'Don't mix with us'.

pauldanaher

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
The idiom as such could be either "don't mix with us" or "don't mess with
us". "Don't tangle with us" is a bit dated, smacks of the Civil War. What
the patch was almost certainly referring to was conjugal rights - they were
going for a translation of "don't fuck with us"!

Mary Cassidy <cas...@nospamgvo.it> wrote in message
> John Woodgate ha scritto:

> > <7kiomt$d0c$1...@news.ifx.net>, ron silton <sil...@ifx.net> inimitably
> > wrote:
> > >I have a military patch from Vietnam that I received years ago that
contains
> > >what I assume is a Latin phrase. I've always wondered what means in
English.
> > >It reads, "Neconjuge Nobiscum."
> > >

> > It's very bad Latin for 'Don't mix with us'.

pauldanaher

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99

> <notjoye-2006...@blfd-01-110.dialup.netins.net>, joye
> <not...@nospam.net> inimitably wrote:
> >necnon : and also.
> >
> > neco : to kill, slay, put to death.
> > neco : to slay.
> >
> >juge : always.
> > jugis : continual, ceaseless, perennial, constant.
> > jugis : continual, perpetual.
> > jugiter : continually, perpetually, constantly / instantly.
> > jugiter : perpetually, continually.
> > jugulo : to slaughter.
> > jugum : ridge, rising.
>
> Well, that's inventive, but the split of the (possibly invented)
> compound 'Neconjuge' is 'Ne' (negation) + 'conjuge' = 2nd person
> singular, present imperative of 'conjugare' - to mix.
>
> In the context, the unfeasible meaning 'Always slay with us' is not
> inapt.(8-o(
> --
> Regards, John Woodgate, OOO - Own Opinions Only.
> Phone +44 (0)1268 747839 Fax +44 (0)1268 777124.
> Did you hear about the hungry genetic engineer who made a pig of himself?

I always thought "conjugare" came from "con" (with) and "jugum" (a yoke),
meaning "to hitch". Which gives us the expression "equitationem conjugare",
to hitch a ride.

Graham Howe

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
to sci.lang.t...@list.deja.com
It is donkey's years since I gleefully abandoned my Latin studies, but I
believe that this phrase has been coined by someone with something of a
sense of humour, and that it is supposed to mean 'Don't f*** with us!'

Graham

René Kurpershoek

Jun 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/22/99
"pauldanaher" <wa...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Actually, it's almost certainly even worse Latin for "don't fuck with us"!

I'll second that. Well done!

René

pauldanaher

Jun 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/22/99
Easy enough if you know any of these guys from Nam! I couldn't exactly
imagine any of them saying "Don't mix with us" - in fact, it would almost be
worth saying it to see the look on their faces...

René Kurpershoek <rk...@xs4all.nl> wrote in message

ron silton

Jun 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/23/99
I appreciate everyone's effort. I had guessed right because the Latin word
"conjuge" has what I thought was a very close English word "conjunction"
which is a English grammar term for a word that joins two trains of thought.
The phase "Don't mess with us" though is still used in the USA, although it
dates back to the Revolutionary War. It is a nicer way of saying what the
patch actually said.

Ron

Lovejw

Jun 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/23/99
<<I had guessed right because the Latin word "conjuge" has what I thought was a
very close English word "conjunction">>

And from the same root we get "conjugal."

<<The phase "Don't mess with us" though is still used in the USA, although it
dates back to the Revolutionary War.>>

= "Don't have dinner with us"? ;)

<<It is a nicer way of saying what the patch actually said.>>

Right, but remember that what the patch "actually" said depends on context. We
modern English-speakers get an aptly punning idiom out of it. Classical Romans,
scratching their heads at its stiltedness & strangeness, may have thought it
meant something like "Marry with us not!"

Jacob.

pauldanaher

Jun 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/24/99
Lovejw <lov...@aol.com> wrote in message

I imagine there was some equivalent available to the legions... Which
reminds me, someone was complaining at dinner the other night that they'd
started learning Latin at school but given up because it had no slang.
Obviously this is nonsense, but is there a dictionary of Latin slang? What
do we know about it these days?

blkf...@gmail.com

Apr 9, 2019, 4:05:54 PM4/9/19
On Sunday, June 20, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, ron silton wrote:
> I have a military patch from Vietnam that I received years ago that contains
> what I assume is a Latin phrase. I've always wondered what means in English.
> It reads, "Neconjuge Nobiscum."

This was a "Special" unofficial patch worn by the 5th Special Forces
Jungle warfare Gp in Viet Nam in the early 1960's. A secondary additional one read "Viet cong** Hunting club" Both items still reside on my Tiger Stripe Vest.
The reading we gave to it was a less polite way expressing, "Don't screw with us". No humor was found in the expressions. Formerly Sgt Doug Trees aka black...@blackfriar.org **my computer handles the capital c as a hot key and closes the application.