Latin phrase

Roy Russell

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
Hi all
Can anyone tell me the meaning of the following Latin phrase:

nunquam non paratus

Thanks in advance for any help.
Roy
--
Roy Russell
r...@lexi.demon.co.uk

Louis Rémillard

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
Roy Russell a écrit :

> Hi all
> Can anyone tell me the meaning of the following Latin phrase:
>
> nunquam non paratus

Never unready (or)
Never unprepared

--
-------
Louis Rémillard

Alejandro Pareja

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
> nunquam non paratus

Never not ready.

Seems to be a roundabout way of expressing the Scout motto...

A.P.

John Woodgate

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
<wTR3aEAe...@lexi.demon.co.uk>, Roy Russell <r...@lexi.demon.co.uk>

inimitably wrote:
>Hi all
>Can anyone tell me the meaning of the following Latin phrase:
>
>nunquam non paratus

Never unprepared.
--
Regards, John Woodgate, OOO - Own Opinions Only. Phone +44 (0)1268 747839
Fax +44 (0)1268 777124. http://www.jmwa.demon.co.uk

George Partlow

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
"Never prepared" (the opposite of "semper paratus")

Matthew Montchalin

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
On Tue, 7 Dec 1999, Louis [iso-8859-1] Rémillard wrote:

| Roy Russell a écrit :

| > Hi all
| > Can anyone tell me the meaning of the following Latin phrase:
| >
| > nunquam non paratus
| >

| Never unready (or)
| Never unprepared

Yes.

Never caught with our pants down. ;)

Louis Rémillard

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
George Partlow a écrit :

> "Never prepared" (the opposite of "semper paratus")

Oops! Are you sure, now?

--
-------
Louis Rémillard

Alison Gaunt

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
"Never unprepared".
Alison Gaunt http://members.aol.com/agaunt1000/agaunt.htm

Benoit Evans

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
Alejandro Pareja <alejandr...@retemail.es> a écrit dans l'article
<82je3f$6c...@SGI3651ef0.iddeo.es>...

> > nunquam non paratus
> >

> Never not ready.
>
> Seems to be a roundabout way of expressing the Scout motto...

The Scout motto is "be prepared".

The motto of the U.S. Marine Corps is "semper paratus" (always ready).

--
Regards,

K.-Benoit Evans
Traducteur agréé / Certified Translator (OTIAQ)
Régie des rentes du Québec
Québec, Canada

Ceci n'est pas un texte officiel | This is not an official text
du Gouvernement du Québec, ses | of the Gouvernement du Québec,
organismes ou mandataires. | its institutions or mandataries.

George Partlow

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
Perhaps not absolutely; it's been more than 30 years since I studied
Latin intensively! But IIRC double negatives in latin _intensify_, they
don't cancel each other out. Hence Nunquam non paratus doesn't mean the
same as English "Never not prepared", which would be equaivalent , not
opposite to, "Semper paratus". Perhpas I'll post this question to one
of the Clasics or Latin newsgroups and get a definitive opinion...

Louis Rémillard

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
George Partlow wrote:

"Never prepared" (the opposite of "semper paratus")

>...it's been more than 30 years since I studied

> Latin intensively! But IIRC double negatives in latin _intensify_, they
> don't cancel each other out. Hence Nunquam non paratus doesn't mean the
> same as English "Never not prepared", which would be equaivalent , not
> opposite to, "Semper paratus". Perhpas I'll post this question to one
> of the Clasics or Latin newsgroups and get a definitive opinion...

I believe that several members, including John Woodgate, confirmed that
"Nunquam imparatus" meant "Never unready", "Never unprepared", or
something to that effect. I have never heard about Latin double
negatives carrying a connotation of "intensity"; if anyone does, and
quotes his or her sources, I shall stand corrected.

--
-------
Louis Rémillard

João Luiz

Dec 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/9/99
Benoit Evans schrieb:

> Alejandro Pareja <alejandr...@retemail.es> a écrit dans l'article
> <82je3f$6c...@SGI3651ef0.iddeo.es>...
> > > nunquam non paratus
> > >

> > Never not ready.
> >
> > Seems to be a roundabout way of expressing the Scout motto...
>
> The Scout motto is "be prepared".
>
> The motto of the U.S. Marine Corps is "semper paratus" (always ready).

In Brasil the Scout's motto reads "sempre alerta" (always alert).

JL

Roy Russell

Dec 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/10/99
In article <384DA1BB...@sympatico.ca>, Louis Rémillard
<remi...@sympatico.ca> writes
>George Partlow a écrit :

>> "Never prepared" (the opposite of "semper paratus")
>>
>Oops! Are you sure, now?

It's someone's family motto so I tend to think "Never UNprepared" is
more likely.
Thanks to Louis and everyone else for the replies.

Alejandro Pareja

Dec 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/10/99

Benoit Evans <benoit...@rrq.gouv.qc.ca> escribió en el mensaje de
noticias 01bf4191$c4e70100$9d4b...@w2586.rrq...

> Alejandro Pareja <alejandr...@retemail.es> a écrit dans l'article
> <82je3f$6c...@SGI3651ef0.iddeo.es>...
> > > nunquam non paratus
> > >

> > Never not ready.
> >
> > Seems to be a roundabout way of expressing the Scout motto...
>
> The Scout motto is "be prepared".

I know. For that matter, the motto of the old Soviet Pioneers was "Always
ready!"

Alejandro Pareja.

Matthew Montchalin

Dec 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/10/99

Alejandro Pareja wrote:
| I know. For that matter, the motto of the old Soviet Pioneers was
| "Always ready!"

Can you transliterate the Russsian expression into something we can read
here ? (Using 7 bit ASCII?)

Alejandro Pareja

Dec 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/11/99

Matthew Montchalin <mmon...@OregonVOS.net> escribió en el mensaje de
noticias Pine.SUN.3.96.991210...@compass.OregonVOS.net...
To be perfectly honest, I don't know the Russian expression.

A.P.

eodono...@gmail.com

May 20, 2019, 8:57:08 PM5/20/19
On Tuesday, December 7, 1999 at 8:00:00 AM UTC, Roy Russell wrote:
> Hi all
> Can anyone tell me the meaning of the following Latin phrase:
>
> nunquam non paratus
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
> Roy
> --
> Roy Russell
> r...@lexi.demon.co.uk

Not sure if this is of any help: means "never not prepared" The phrase occurs (in Latin) on the family crest of the O'Donoghue's ( O Donnchadha) clan. O Donnchadha means decendant oF Brown haired warrior. Donn being the Irish word for brown and cu meaning dog originally but later came to mean warrior after the greatest Irish warrior Setanta (at least he became the greatest ) took the name CuCullian.