What language is this? Artist: Lisa Gerrard Lyrics Artist: Lisa Gerrard Lyrics

Michael

Oct 21, 2004, 12:57:44 PM10/21/04
Artist: Lisa Gerrard Lyrics

Can anyone translate this for me? I love this song. It is from the
soundtrack to the Gladiator.

Anol shalom
Anol sheh lay konnud de ne um {shaddai}
Flavum
Nom de leesh
Ham de nam um das
La um de
Flavne…

We de ze zu bu
We de sooo a ru
Un va-a pesh a lay
Un vi-I bee
Un da la pech ni sa
(Aaahh)
Un di-I lay na day
Un ma la pech a nay
Mee di nu ku

(Fast tempo, 4 times)
La la da pa da le na da na
Ve va da pa da le na la dumda

Anol shalom
Anol sheh ley kon-nud de ne um.
Flavum.
Flavum.
M-ai shondol-lee
Flavu… {Live on…}
Lof flesh lay
Nof ne
Nom de lis
Ham de num um dass
La um de
Flavne…
Flay
Shom de nomm
Ma-lun des
Dwondi.
Dwwoondi
Alas sharum du koos
Shaley koot-tum.

Einde O'Callaghan

Oct 21, 2004, 4:03:40 PM10/21/04
Michael wrote:
> Artist: Lisa Gerrard Lyrics
> Artist: Lisa Gerrard Lyrics
>
> Can anyone translate this for me? I love this song. It is from the
> soundtrack to the Gladiator.

There is no English translation as the words aren't in any language at all.

After doing a seearch with Google for '"Lisa Gerrard" melismatic' I came
across this message:

Taken from an interview with Lisa Gerrard about the song:

...The rest of the vocals, sung with sounds rather than in a
conventional language, are an example of melismatic singing. "It's a
language invented within the music, inherently, and the words mean more
than I can say in English", she says. "The way I sing is not new; it's
been around since the beginning of time, and it's something all children
are born with. It's not unique to me, but for some reason I never lost
the ability".

Melismatic:
1 : a group of notes or tones sung on one syllable in plainsong
2 : melodic embellishment

But some of teh words are Hebrew, e.g. "shalom" and "shaddai"

Regards, einde O'Callaghan

Ade Sigit

Apr 6, 2022, 6:22:39 PM4/6/22