What Language is This

artic25

Apr 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/26/99
My girlfriend bought me something from Paris France
And it says "BREIZ DA VIKEN" can anyone tell me what language it is and
what it says

Thanx
Exchange ideas on practically anything (tm).

Harlan Messinger

Apr 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/26/99

artic25 wrote in message ...

>My girlfriend bought me something from Paris France
>And it says "BREIZ DA VIKEN" can anyone tell me what language it is and
>what it says

"Breizh" is Breton for "Brittany". I don't know what "Breiz da Viken" is,
but I found a reference to it on line 3 of the page at
http://www.larp.com/beon/magica/kronikor/aeron.htm.

Harlan Messinger

Apr 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/26/99

Harlan Messinger wrote in message <7g2fi3$c7n$1...@autumn.news.rcn.net>...

which, I forgot to say, is in Swedish.

John Woodgate

Apr 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/26/99
<7g2fi3$c7n$1...@autumn.news.rcn.net>, Harlan Messinger <zzzhmessingerzzz@z

zzerolszzz.com> inimitably wrote:

>artic25 wrote in message ...
>>My girlfriend bought me something from Paris France
>>And it says "BREIZ DA VIKEN" can anyone tell me what language it is and
>>what it says
>>

>"Breizh" is Breton for "Brittany". I don't know what "Breiz da Viken" is,
>but I found a reference to it on line 3 of the page at
>http://www.larp.com/beon/magica/kronikor/aeron.htm.

'Da' is possibly 'good', so maybe something like 'Good wishes from
Brittany'.
Phone +44 (0)1268 747839 Fax +44 (0)1268 777124.
Did you hear about the hungry genetic engineer who made a pig of himself?

Kim Bastin

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
Harlan Messinger wrote:

> Harlan Messinger wrote in message <7g2fi3$c7n$1...@autumn.news.rcn.net>...
> >
> >artic25 wrote in message ...
> >>My girlfriend bought me something from Paris France
> >>And it says "BREIZ DA VIKEN" can anyone tell me what language it is and
> >>what it says
> >>

> >"Breizh" is Breton for "Brittany". I don't know what "Breiz da Viken" is,
> >but I found a reference to it on line 3 of the page at
> >http://www.larp.com/beon/magica/kronikor/aeron.htm.
> >

> which, I forgot to say, is in Swedish.

Quote from that page:

Det var Breiz da Viken, himlen utan tid, där solen och månen ständigt
slogs om mest plats på himelen, där varken solen sjönk, eller månen
tynade bort. Det var under smamma himmel som Breiz Datel, staden av
natt och dag, en gång så stolt hissat dess rättfärdiga fana, men nu
låg det öde, tomt och tyst.

Quick translation, for what it's worth: "It was Breiz da Viken,
the sky without time, where the sun and moon fought forever for
the greater share of the sky, where the sun never set nor did the
moon wane. It was under the same sky that Breiz Datel, the city
of night and day, had once so proudly hoisted its rightful banner,
but now it lay deserted, empty and silent."

However, the phrases following _Breiz da Viken_ and _Breiz Datel_
cannot (both) be translations, for there is no common element to
correspond to _Breiz_.

Kim Bastin

Harlan Messinger

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
Oh, guess what. I found "Breizh da Viken", as well as both "Breizh"
and "Da Viken" on the same page, at a number of web sites. Check out
the one titled "Breizh da Viken" at
http://www.chez.com/bigbeauf/breizh.html.

Most of the pages are in Breton (Brezhoneg), and none explains the
term Viken.

--
Harlan Messinger
There are no Zs in my actual e-mail address.

Harlan Messinger

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
Cross-posted to soc.culture.breton.

"artic25" <bcal...@shoplink.com> wrote:

>My girlfriend bought me something from Paris France
>And it says "BREIZ DA VIKEN" can anyone tell me what language it is and
>what it says
>

>Thanx

Jañ-Mai Drapier

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
Harlan Messinger a skrivas :

> >My girlfriend bought me something from Paris France
> >And it says "BREIZ DA VIKEN" can anyone tell me what language it is and
> >what it says

It's breton an it means
"Brittany forever"

Jañ-Mai

Georges-Louis KOCHER

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
Cher collègue,

Pourriez-vous me recommander des ressources (sites Web, livres, etc.) sur le
breton, ou sur d'autres langues celtiques ?

Cordialement/Regards,

Georges-Louis KOCHER
Military Thinker, General Cambronne's successor
---------------------------------------
Je panse, donc je suis. (Ambroise Paré)
---------------------------------------

Jañ-Mai Drapier wrote in message <3725AC15...@mail.dotcom.fr>...

Message has been deleted

Pierre Renault

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99

> Pourriez-vous me recommander des ressources (sites Web, livres, etc.) sur le
> breton, ou sur d'autres langues celtiques ?

Vous trouverez un dico bilingue breton au
http://www.francenet.fr/~perrot/breizh/dico.html

Pierre

Van Lokeren BVBA

Apr 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/29/99
Try soc.culture.breton - another fairly active NG with all kinds of weird
rubbish
and people with a thing for the Breton language.
Albert
John Woodgate wrote in message ...

><7g2fi3$c7n$1...@autumn.news.rcn.net>, Harlan Messinger <zzzhmessingerzzz@z
>zzerolszzz.com> inimitably wrote:
>>
>>artic25 wrote in message ...
>>>My girlfriend bought me something from Paris France
>>>And it says "BREIZ DA VIKEN" can anyone tell me what language it is and
>>>what it says
>>>

>>"Breizh" is Breton for "Brittany". I don't know what "Breiz da Viken" is,
>>but I found a reference to it on line 3 of the page at
>>http://www.larp.com/beon/magica/kronikor/aeron.htm.

claude...@gmail.com

Jul 20, 2016, 3:27:44 PM7/20/16
Breizh da Viken=Brittany forever.

Virgo la

Jul 29, 2022, 9:25:32 PM7/29/22
Breizh Da Viken means : Brittany for ever. It is our Breton Motto.

Hen Hanna

Mar 24, 2023, 11:43:57 PM3/24/23
On Friday, July 29, 2022 at 6:25:32 PM UTC-7, Virgo la wrote:
> Breizh Da Viken means : Brittany for ever. It is our Breton Motto.

nice to know...!

like Erin Go Bah (ok. wrong spelling)