Translation of a PA Dutch rhyme

Dave Devine

Dec 16, 2005, 2:18:37 AM12/16/05
I'm hoping that someone can help with this translation of a PA Dutch
rhyme:

Heilig heilig hinkle drecht,
bis mariyefrieh und alles recht.

Any help you can provide is appreciated!

TIA,

Dave

--
There's a fine line between stupid and clever.

Evertjan.

Dec 16, 2005, 3:37:52 AM12/16/05
Dave Devine wrote on 16 dec 2005 in sci.lang.translation:

> I'm hoping that someone can help with this translation of a PA Dutch
> rhyme:
>
> Heilig heilig hinkle drecht,
> bis mariyefrieh und alles recht.

That is PA German, I presume, NOT Dutch.

marienfriede:
<http://www.bedevaartweb.com/marienfriede.htm>

Could be a children's counting rhyme,
like "Eeny, meeny, miny, moe".

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Einde O'Callaghan

Dec 16, 2005, 6:04:14 AM12/16/05
Evertjan. wrote:
> Dave Devine wrote on 16 dec 2005 in sci.lang.translation:
>

>>I'm hoping that someone can help with this translation of a PA Dutch
>>rhyme:
>>
>>Heilig heilig hinkle drecht,
>>bis mariyefrieh und alles recht.
>>

> That is PA German, I presume, NOT Dutch.

It is a German dialect, but is is generally called Pennsylvania Dutch -
presumably from "Deutsch" - which is also ultimately what the word
"Dutch" derives from.

Regards, Einde O'Callaghan

Alan Crozier

Dec 16, 2005, 6:23:09 AM12/16/05
"Einde O'Callaghan" <einde.oc...@planet-interkom.de> wrote in message

And the Dutch themselves call it Duits.

See also http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania-Duits

But I think Evertjan is just teasing.

And none of this is helping to translate the rhyme.

Alan

--
Alan Crozier
Lund

Georg E.

Dec 16, 2005, 6:56:24 AM12/16/05

"Dave Devine" <dave_...@nospamcop.net> wrote in message

> I'm hoping that someone can help with this translation of a PA Dutch
> rhyme:
>
> Heilig heilig hinkle drecht,
> bis mariyefrieh und alles recht.

I believe this is a kind of "healing verse" used to tell children when they
got hurt or are sick. Sounds familiar to me, must have heard a similar
wording in my childhood.

There is also kind of similar verse in standard German: "Heile, heile
Mäusespeck, in hundert Jahr ist alles weg."
Both verses basically mean that the pain will be gone soon, in the PA Durch
version at the latest on one of Mary's many holidays (maybe her birhday??),
in the standard German verse in 100 years at the latest...

--

Georg
http://www.fachuebersetzungen.de

Ekkehard Dengler

Dec 16, 2005, 6:58:56 AM12/16/05

Dave Devine schrieb:

> I'm hoping that someone can help with this translation of a PA Dutch
> rhyme:
>
> Heilig heilig hinkle drecht,
> bis mariyefrieh und alles recht.

This seems seriously garbled, but sounds very vaguely like something you'd
say to comfort a hurt child. "Heilig, heilig" should possibly be "heile,
heile" ("heal, heal"). "Bis marye frieh" looks like a phonetic spelling of
some dialect version of "bis morgen früh" ("by/till tomorrow morning"). "Und
alles recht" is ungrammatical, but might mean something like "and everything
will be all right". What's really enigmatic is the "hinkle drecht" bit.
"Hinken" means "to limp", but I don't see how that would fit in
grammatically.

HTH -- I may be completely wrong.

Regards,
Ekkehard

Ekkehard Dengler

Dec 16, 2005, 7:09:35 AM12/16/05

"Ekkehard Dengler" <ED...@t-online.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

I think I've found the solution.
http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/PASCHUYL/1999-04/0923555584:

"'Heile, heile, Hinkledreck; bis Morgen frueh (free), geht alles weg' which
translates to, believe it or
not, 'Heal, heal, chicken s--- (excrement), by tomorow, everything will be
gone.'"

Ekkehard

Dave Devine

Dec 16, 2005, 1:02:48 PM12/16/05
Ekkehard Dengler <ED...@t-online.de> wrote:

> I think I've found the solution.
> http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/PASCHUYL/1999-04/0923555584:
>
> "'Heile, heile, Hinkledreck; bis Morgen frueh (free), geht alles weg' which
> translates to, believe it or
> not, 'Heal, heal, chicken s--- (excrement), by tomorow, everything will be
> gone.'"
>
> Ekkehard

Thank you, Ekkehard. That looks to be the answer. And thanks to everyone
else who responded.

MH

Dec 16, 2005, 1:38:13 PM12/16/05
>>... translation of a PA Dutch rhyme:

>>Heilig heilig hinkle drecht,
>>bis mariyefrieh und alles recht.

Holy, holy ... ...
until Mary... (peace ?) and everything is OK

> That is PA German, I presume, NOT Dutch.

'Dutch', from 'Diets' (German). Most Penn. 'Dutch' were from Germany.
Some people hardly know the difference between 'Deutsch' and 'Dutch'.

--
MH

soco...@gmail.com

Dec 20, 2012, 11:21:49 PM12/20/12
My grandmother would say this, or something very similar when we would get hurt. I live in PA, her descendants were PA dutch. I love the culture. I got a ceramic dish at the Kutztown Folk Fest with the saying on it and the woman had the translation. Ekkehard Dengler's translation is pretty close to what I have. The saying I have is

Heili Heile hinkel dreck bis marriyefrieh iss alles weck.

The translation I have is

Holy holy chicken dirt by early morning is all away.

Loekie Ratelkous

Dec 21, 2012, 8:08:33 AM12/21/12
soco...@gmail.com stelde de volgende uitleg voor :
I am Dutch. (Not Pennsylvanian Dutch, but European Dutch).
I can read it, but I would not call it Dutch.
Think of German instead.
But I think I do not tell anything new to most of the readers here.

--

groetsels

Loek

Evertjan.

Dec 21, 2012, 11:50:19 AM12/21/12
Loekie Ratelkous wrote on 21 dec 2012 in sci.lang.translation:

> I am Dutch. (Not Pennsylvanian Dutch, but European Dutch).
> I can read it, but I would not call it Dutch.
> Think of German instead.
> But I think I do not tell anything new to most of the readers here.

PA Dutch is "Pennsylvanian Deutsch",
and that "Deutch" means German, toch?

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Loekie Ratelkous

Dec 21, 2012, 12:58:26 PM12/21/12
Evertjan. stelde dit idée voor :
> Loekie Ratelkous wrote on 21 dec 2012 in sci.lang.translation:
>
>> I am Dutch. (Not Pennsylvanian Dutch, but European Dutch).
>> I can read it, but I would not call it Dutch.
>> Think of German instead.
>> But I think I do not tell anything new to most of the readers here.
>
> PA Dutch is "Pennsylvanian Deutsch",
> and that "Deutch" means German, toch?

Ah... You're right. Deutsch, I think.
I heard that long ago, but I forgot that...

--

groetsels

Loek

Helmut Richter

Dec 21, 2012, 2:44:45 PM12/21/12
On Thu, 20 Dec 2012, soco...@gmail.com wrote:

> My grandmother would say this, or something very similar when we would get hurt. I live in PA, her descendants were PA dutch. I love the culture. I got a ceramic dish at the Kutztown Folk Fest with the saying on it and the woman had the translation. Ekkehard Dengler's translation is pretty close to what I have. The saying I have is
>
> Heili Heile hinkel dreck bis marriyefrieh iss alles weck.
>
> The translation I have is
>
> Holy holy chicken dirt by early morning is all away.

What is missing?

The "marriyefrieh" is "morgen früh" (tomorrow early [in the morning]), of
course.

--
Helmut Richter

Evertjan.

Dec 21, 2012, 6:46:04 PM12/21/12
Helmut Richter wrote on 21 dec 2012 in sci.lang.translation:

> On Thu, 20 Dec 2012, soco...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> My grandmother would say this, or something very similar when we
>> would get hurt. I live in PA, her descendants were PA dutch. I love
>> the culture. I got a ceramic dish at the Kutztown Folk Fest with the
>> saying on it and the woman had the translation. Ekkehard Dengler's
>> translation is pretty close to what I have. The saying I have is
>>
>> Heili Heile hinkel dreck bis marriyefrieh iss alles weck.
>>
>> The translation I have is
>>
>> Holy holy chicken dirt by early morning is all away.
>
> What is missing?
>
> The "marriyefrieh" is "morgen fr�h" (tomorrow early [in the morning]),
> of course.

"marriyefrieh" > "NEXT morning"

compare: "Morgen fr�h" and "Morgen Abend"

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Dec 22, 2012, 6:48:15 AM12/22/12
On 2012-12-21 16:50:19 +0000, Evertjan. said:

> Loekie Ratelkous wrote on 21 dec 2012 in sci.lang.translation:
>
>> I am Dutch. (Not Pennsylvanian Dutch, but European Dutch).
>> I can read it, but I would not call it Dutch.
>> Think of German instead.
>> But I think I do not tell anything new to most of the readers here.
>
> PA Dutch is "Pennsylvanian Deutsch",
> and that "Deutch" means German, toch?

You're right so far as the etymology goes, but "Pennsylvania Dutch" is
the term normally used.

--
athel

Evertjan.

Dec 22, 2012, 11:14:46 AM12/22/12
I know, when did this error slip in?

Probably long ago when "duits", "Deutsch" and "dutch"
still ment "of the common people".

It is more than just etymology, because as a language,
it descended from German, not from Dutch.

Einde O'Callaghan

Dec 22, 2012, 4:31:59 PM12/22/12
On 22.12.2012 17:14, Evertjan. wrote:
> Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote on 22 dec 2012 in sci.lang.translation:

<snip>

>> You're right so far as the etymology goes, but "Pennsylvania Dutch" is
>> the term normally used.
>
> I know, when did this error slip in?
>
> Probably long ago when "duits", "Deutsch" and "dutch"
> still ment "of the common people".

Down to the 17th century, the language spoken in the Holy Roman Empire
was referred to in English as Dutch - German is a relatively late
coining from the period after the independence of the Netherlands was
recognised in the Treaty of Westphalia (1648) - and there was a
distinction (analogous to that made in German between Hochdeutsch and
Niederdeutsch - more commonly referred to today as Plattdeutsch) between
High Dutch - the official language of the Holy Roman Empire - and Low
dutch -the dialect spoken in the Netherlands but also right across
Northern Germany).

So in the usage of the time the religious settlers in Pennsylvania from
Alsace and elsewhere in southwestern Germany spoke a variety of Dutch,
which then became a separate dialect known as Pennsylvania Dutch. Some
German friends of mine from Saxony who've visited the region inhabited
by the Amish communities said they had no difficulty understanding the
people there and being understood, despite some differences in vocabulary.

Regards, Einde O'Callaghan

napp...@hotmail.com

Aug 3, 2017, 9:18:39 PM8/3/17
My parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles all spoke PA Dutch and I had heard this from some of them. The only thing I can confirm is the "hinkle drecht" is chicken dirt, crap, sh*t, whichever you prefer.

Evertjan.

Aug 4, 2017, 3:29:26 AM8/4/17
napp...@hotmail.com wrote on 04 Aug 2017 in sci.lang.translation:

> On Friday, December 16, 2005 at 2:18:37 AM UTC-5, Dave Devine wrote:
>> I'm hoping that someone can help with this translation of a PA Dutch
>> rhyme:
>>
>> Heilig heilig hinkle drecht,
>> bis mariyefrieh und alles recht.

Pensylvanian-Dutch is a dialect of German, not of Dutch, btw.

"Deutch" [German], "Diets" [Dutch!], "Dutch" [Engl.]
= "of the common people"

cf "Deutchland" = Germany.

===========

It should be, according to sources,
but there are many other variations,
also under the influenve of American English:

"Heilig heilig Hinkeldreck, bis Marriyefrieh is alles weck"

= "Holy holy chicken-poop, after/from St Mary's day all will be gone"

It is a rhyming incantation to drive away sickness or spell,
or [later?] used to apeace sick children.

==================

Read the discussion in 2005:

<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/sci.lang.translation/8gwjKc5MBcw>

and this page:

<https://books.google.com/books?id=mSgmBwAAQBAJ&lpg=PA135
&q=mariyefrieh#v=onepage>

>> Any help you can provide is appreciated!
[..]

> My parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles all spoke PA Dutch and I had
> heard this from some of them. The only thing I can confirm is the
> "hinkle drecht" is chicken dirt, crap, sh*t, whichever you prefer.

elaine.r...@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2018, 7:58:57 AM2/6/18
On Friday, December 16, 2005 at 2:18:37 AM UTC-5, Dave Devine wrote:
Yes! This is Pennsylvannia Dutch (German). It means Heal Heal Chicken shit. By tommorrow all is well. :)

elaine.r...@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2018, 8:15:40 AM2/6/18
On Friday, December 16, 2005 at 2:18:37 AM UTC-5, Dave Devine wrote:
Sorry it took so long to reply. Hope you are still alive. My father who was born (1916) Frystown, Berks County, Pa spoke fluent "Dutch" along with his six brothers and three sisters. German Dutch or Deutche was handed down for generations by the German settlers of Berks County of which I am a descendant. My father used this rhyme on my brother and I when we got hurt. We also got to hear about the hexes and cures for hexes neighbors would cast on each other instead of an outright quarrel.

The translation for this is Heal Heal chicken shit. By tomorrow all is well.

wrigh...@gmail.com

Aug 26, 2019, 7:58:00 PM8/26/19
I remember this chant that my great grandfather used to comfort or heal people. Hail hail chickens dirt, by tomorrow morning all will be gone. I am not sure about the Hail hail, but the rest is accurate.

Evertjan.

Aug 27, 2019, 3:57:41 AM8/27/19
As you are probably responding to an older posting, please quote, including
the date of such posting. This is Usenet, not some Google group.

It is advisable to have a signature.