Don't know what language this is

Susan Ede

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00
Today I bought a talisman with the following words on it.

DIESERTALER ISTV. DENENT. MINERALIEN PREPARIER.

There is a central figure of the Sun with other astrological signs around
it.

Would anyone know what the words mean? I'd love to find out. I checked all
search engines for translantion but had no luck.

Thanks

John Woodgate

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00
It looks like very bad German to me (and I'm an expert in producing very
bad German!). I think it might be intended to be 'Dieser Taler ist von
den ent?? mineralien prepariert.' The abbreviated 'ent??' could be many
things, from 'entartet' ('degraded') to 'entzweigerissen' (torn to
pieces). Then it means 'This talisman is made from [ent??] minerals.'

The words 'Taler' and 'preparier' seem to be seldom used or non-existent
in German, but the whole thing doesn't look like Dutch or Danish or
anything other than German, to me. I suspect a Far-Eastern origin for
your talisman.
--
Regards, John Woodgate, OOO - Own Opinions Only. Phone +44 (0)1268 747839
Fax +44 (0)1268 777124. http://www.jmwa.demon.co.uk

João Luiz

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00
Susan Ede schrieb:

> Today I bought a talisman with the following words on it.
>
> DIESERTALER ISTV. DENENT. MINERALIEN PREPARIER.
>
> There is a central figure of the Sun with other astrological signs around
> it.

It is German: Dieser Taler ist v(on?) den ent(__?) Mineralien präparier(t?)
^

ist this really a 'v'?

Anyway, my guesses to ent__ seem to be too wild. And to abbreviate
"präpariert" with "präparier." seems also odd.

JL

Bettina Price

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00

Susan Ede wrote in message <389396ba@grissom>...

|Today I bought a talisman with the following words on it.
|
|DIESERTALER ISTV. DENENT. MINERALIEN PREPARIER.
|
|There is a central figure of the Sun with other astrological signs around
|it.
|
|Would anyone know what the words mean? I'd love to find out. I checked
all
|search engines for translantion but had no luck.

It's German, sort of.
"Dieser taler ist v. den ent. Mineralien prepariert"
"This taler (coin) has been prepared from the right/corresponding minerals"

Greetings,

Bettina
--
Bettina Cornelia Price
bet...@pappnase.demon.co.uk

James Lee

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00
If I might have a wild guess, and if I have been forgiven for the moose
error, I would suggest that 'ent' is an abbreviation of 'entsprechend', i.e.
corresponding. The symbols are probably not the signs of the zodiac, but the
signs of the planets, which correspond to the alchemical symbols for the
various metals. For example, Mercury is an 'm' with a tail, Mars (iron) is
the male sign (a little circle with an arrow sticking up) Venus (copper) is
the female sign with horns... The idea was that all base metals could be
converted into gold (the sun), just as every soul could achieve perfection.

Thus, it would seem to be an alchemical talisman, made of an alloy
containing all of the metals shown. Probably not much gold, though.

Alternatively, it could be a membership token for the Ancient Order of Elks.

James Lee

w vvoor na
João Luiz wrote in message <3893F966...@Maschinenbau.TU-Ilmenau.DE>...
>Susan Ede schrieb:

>> Today I bought a talisman with the following words on it.
>>
>> DIESERTALER ISTV. DENENT. MINERALIEN PREPARIER.
>>
>> There is a central figure of the Sun with other astrological signs around
>> it.

James Lee

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00
Sorry, I assumed that someone had translated the text:

'This coin has been made from the corresponding minerals'.

James Lee

João Luiz

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00
Bettina Price schrieb:

> Susan Ede wrote in message <389396ba@grissom>...
> |Today I bought a talisman with the following words on it.
> |
> |DIESERTALER ISTV. DENENT. MINERALIEN PREPARIER.
> |
> |There is a central figure of the Sun with other astrological signs around
> |it.
> |
> |Would anyone know what the words mean? I'd love to find out. I checked
> all
> |search engines for translantion but had no luck.
>
> It's German, sort of.
> "Dieser taler ist v. den ent. Mineralien prepariert"
> "This taler (coin) has been prepared from the right/corresponding minerals"

Here my doubt. Was it a usage in Old German to say 'von' and not 'mit' or
'aus' in this case?

JL

Bettina Price

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00

João Luiz wrote in message <38947EA0...@Maschinenbau.TU-Ilmenau.DE>...

Yes, actually (you'll find that in old cookbooks people say stuff like "Man
nehme von der besten Butter"), but the German is pretty crap anyhow. It
sounds more like a bad translation from another language to me.

John Woodgate

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00
<871ooc$59o$1...@freyja.bart.nl>, James Lee <lee...@bart.nl> inimitably
wrote:

>For example, Mercury is an 'm' with a tail,
No, that's the sign for 'Scorpio'. Mercury is the symbol you have
assigned to Venus.

> Mars (iron) is
>the male sign (a little circle with an arrow sticking up)

Correct.

> Venus (copper) is
>the female sign with horns...

No, Venus is just the female sign.

James Lee

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00
Yes of course, you are quite right. Unfortunately, I left my alchemy book in
the east wing. We don't go there now. Not since the incident...

James Lee

John Woodgate

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00
<876bec$lgi$1...@freyja.bart.nl>, James Lee <lee...@bart.nl> inimitably
wrote:

>Yes of course, you are quite right. Unfortunately, I left my alchemy book in
>the east wing. We don't go there now. Not since the incident...

Oh, you've had one of those as well? Here, it is in the belvedere, and
it can't get past the oak door, at least I hope not. (;-)

hughan...@internode.on.net

Dec 19, 2019, 6:38:15 AM12/19/19
On Sunday, January 30, 2000 at 6:30:00 PM UTC+10:30, Susan Ede wrote:
> Today I bought a talisman with the following words on it.
>
> DIESERTALER ISTV. DENENT. MINERALIEN PREPARIER.
>
> There is a central figure of the Sun with other astrological signs around
> it.
>
> Would anyone know what the words mean? I'd love to find out. I checked all
> search engines for translantion but had no luck.
>
> Thanks
I just found an identical talisman in the ground in a carpark in Norwood, Adelaide, South Australia. The engraving was s worn as to be almost illegible, but I could just make out the words and the sun symbol. I found your post when I Googled the words. I wonder who produced these talismans? Is there an alchemical society still in existence? Or are these talismans old (as the wearing on mine might suggest)?
Hugh Abbott

Evertjan.

Dec 19, 2019, 6:44:36 AM12/19/19
hughan...@internode.on.net wrote on 19 Dec 2019 in
sci.lang.translation:
You are replying to a posting of more than 19 years ago,
and it is about the text, not about the object.

Please read the whole thread:

<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/sci.lang.translation/2ILSfKcOtmI>

--
Evertjan.