Shookai shimasu?

cclo...@uqvax.cc.uq.oz.au

Jun 9, 1992, 8:16:10 AM6/9/92
Is there any different between the verbs shookai shimasu and goshookai shimasu.
My dictionay only has the first entry - but I have recently seen th second in
textbooks.

Are they both acceptable as the verb "to introduce", or is 1 used for a
self-introduction? If not, could someone please tell me what verb you would use
when introducing yourself.

Doomo arigatoo,
Loretta...

entiendo

Jun 9, 1992, 5:06:25 AM6/9/92

textbooks.

I believe, goshookai(maybe goshoukai is correct.) is more polite expression thanshookai.

Japanese is usually given "go" in front of the noun when we want to speak more politly. For example, goshoukai(as you got), gosinsetu(go+sinsetu means kindly). But not always it is given to verb.

> Are they both acceptable as the verb "to introduce", or is 1 used for a

self-introduction?

Yes!

>Doomo arigatoo,

Douitashimasite!(means not at all or you're wellcome.)

Sorry, my bad English.

/***** Fujitsu Laboratories Ltd. Multimedia & Medical Devices Division

Medical Systems Laboratory

E-MAIL: enti...@flab.fujitsu.co.jp

NIFTY : HHA00120

ikazayiM ayihsoT ***************************************************************************/

Benoy Koshy

Jun 10, 1992, 1:52:10 AM6/10/92
cclo...@uqvax.cc.uq.oz.au writes:

> Are they both acceptable as the verb "to introduce", or is 1 used for a
> self-introduction? If not, could someone please tell me what verb you would u

> when introducing yourself.

All you japanese experts out there correct me if I'm wrong but my
professor told me the best way and the normal way to introduce one's
self is using the 'to be' (desu) verb.

So in your case Loretta...you could say:

"Loretta desu." (however its customary to use your last name though...
I don't know if this custom is still standard.)
or

"Watashi wa Loretta desu." (is this more polite? I think so...)

or if you are meeting this person for the first time...(usual case)
After they've introduced themselves use:

"Hajimemashite. Loretta desu."

Hajimemashite literally means "Its the first time".

Ben Koshy/Lone Wolf lone...@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca
President of B.A.K.A. Banzai Anime Klub of Alberta

* Subscribe to 'B.A.K.A. no Baka' from B.A.K.A or be BAKA! *
* MAIL ME FOR YOUR FREE SAMPLE COPY -- LIMITED OFFER *

Gerald B. Mathias

Jun 10, 1992, 2:11:57 PM6/10/92

Use `goshookai shimasu' only when YOU are going to introduce someone ELSE.
The `go-' prefix, when used with `shimasu' or `itashimasu' is humble. (More
refinements can wait until you understand `uchi' vs. `soto' in personal
relationships.)

Better not use a verb for self-introduction. Your name (possibly preceded
by your company/school's name + `no') followed by `desu. Doozo yoroshiku'
will do the trick under ordinary circumstances.

The same formula is used when you are introduced by someone else. That is,
repeat your name (but leave out the company/school bit), with `desu, etc.'
even though the introducer has just said it.

Maiko Covington

Jun 10, 1992, 2:12:26 PM6/10/92

As has been posted, one way to introduce yourself is to say
things equivalent to "I AM ......".
Another way is to use expressions meaning "I am called ...."
or "my name is .....". Along these lines, the polite way to
introduce yourself at meetings and such is:
"<your name> to mousimasu."
"Mousu" is just the self-humbling honorific for "to say".

Maiko Covington ecov...@sdcc13.ucsd.edu

Note: There are several forms of honorific speech. There are the
self-humbling forms you use when describing your own actions (such
as mousimasu, itasimasu), the forms that honor the person you are
talking to or an honored third person (such as ossyaimasu,
nasaimasu), and forms you use for unrelated things in the
conversation that are polite. "keigo" uses all three of these at
once - you must be humble to yourself, honoring your companion and
any people not present, and also polite.

Gerald B. Mathias

Jun 12, 1992, 2:45:17 PM6/12/92
In article <34...@sdcc12.ucsd.edu> ecov...@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Maiko Covington) writes:

> "<your name> to mousimasu."
>"Mousu" is just the self-humbling honorific for "to say".

In case you haven't learned word-processor ro^maji yet (which seems very
likely in the case of those who haven't learned the expression in question),
that should not sound like "mouse." Think of it in kana.