shinano yoru

Bart Mathias

Mar 7, 2001, 9:26:02 PM3/7/01
I. Bet B. Ito will be interested in this, if no one else is.

One of the first things I ever learned in Japanese was the song
"Shina-no yoru" (followed closely by "Nagasaki-no ochoosan"). At
that stage of my studies, I couldn't hope to get more than a vague
understanding of it.

I haven't thought about the song in decades. I got some e-mail today
that included the song and an English translation that seemed wrong
to me in some particulars. But more than anything else, it made me
realize that I still don't understand the song, some 45+ years later.

Shina no yoru, Shina no yoru yo Minato no akari murasaki no yo
ni Noboru janku no, yume no fune ah ah... ah ah... wasurarenu
kokyuu no ne
Shina no yoru, yume no yoru.

Is that a "purple night"? I know it's night-time, but I sort of
thought it was a "purple world."

Shina no yoru, Shino yoru yo
Yanagi no mado ni rantan yurete Akai torikago Shina musume ah
ah... ah ah... Yarusenai ai no uta
Shina no yoru, yume no yoru.

What's a "yanagi-no mado"? It never bothered me before--I could
accept "willow window" in a song in English without batting an eye,
until someone asked me how to say it in Japanese and I realized I
didn't know what it meant.

The translation I got in the mail made it "window near the bamboos."
I can't get that...

How many lanterns? I've always pictured a Chinese girl looking out a
window, one lantern swaying in the wind, and a red bird cage
alongside. The translation has "lanterns" (not a big deal, though),
and the girl holding the bird cage (why?). Is she singing (or
humming, as the translation has it) the love song? I guess I always
took it that "Shina-no yoru" was a yarusenai ai-no uta.

"mado-ni torikago," "mado-ni musume" are both OK. What about
"mado-ni rantan yurete"? I'd be tempted to put a "-de" there. Or is
it like "hana-ga sono-NI saku" and "kigi-NI kotori-ga saezuru"?

Shina no yoru, Shina no yoru yo Kimi matsu yoi wa obashima no
ame ni Hana mo chiru chiru beni mo chiru ah ah... ah ah...
Wakarete mo wasuraryo ka
Shina no yoru, yume no yoru.

I have heard and used the word "obashima" many, many times, but every
time was listening to, or singing, this song. I take it to refer,
here, to the windowsill of the previous stanza.

"Kimi matsu yoi-wa" bothers me two ways. It sounds generic to me:
"NightS when ... wait for ...," but the following lines seem
particular to one night. Finally, who is speaking? Who is waiting
for whom?

One more last, extra question: Is Japanese hard?

Bart

Tokyo Kid

Mar 7, 2001, 10:17:43 PM3/7/01
Hello

支那の夜 支那の夜よ
港のあかり むらさきの夜に
のぼるジャンクの 夢の船
あゝあゝ忘られぬ 胡弓の音
支那の夜 夢の夜

支那の夜 支那の夜よ
柳の窓に ランタン揺れて
赤い鳥籠 支那娘
あゝあゝやるせない 愛の唄
支那の夜 夢の夜

支那の夜 支那の夜よ
君待つ宵は 欄干の雨に
花も散る散る 紅も散る
あゝあゝ別れても 忘らりょか
支那の夜 夢の夜

http://www.fukuchan.ac/music/j-senzen/shinanoyoru.html

Enjoy song!

Tokyo Kid

Jack Oatmon

Mar 8, 2001, 10:07:23 AM3/8/01
Bart Mathias wrote:

<snippity snip snip>

> Shina no yoru, Shina no yoru yo Minato no akari murasaki no yo
> ni Noboru janku no, yume no fune ah ah... ah ah... wasurarenu
> kokyuu no ne
> Shina no yoru, yume no yoru.
>
>Is that a "purple night"? I know it's night-time, but I sort of
>thought it was a "purple world."

It's a purple night... lit up by the "minato no akari" no doubt.

> Shina no yoru, Shino yoru yo
> Yanagi no mado ni rantan yurete Akai torikago Shina musume ah
> ah... ah ah... Yarusenai ai no uta
> Shina no yoru, yume no yoru.
>
>What's a "yanagi-no mado"?

??? wakaranai...
But I'll attempt several blindfolded shots ;-)

1) The window frame was made of willow.
2) The window was colored (yanagi) green.
3) It's a poetic way to describe a "noren"

>How many lanterns? I've always pictured a Chinese girl looking out a
>window, one lantern swaying in the wind, and a red bird cage
>alongside.

Reading it for the first time, that's basically the same image I get.

> Shina no yoru, Shina no yoru yo Kimi matsu yoi wa obashima no
> ame ni Hana mo chiru chiru beni mo chiru ah ah... ah ah...
> Wakarete mo wasuraryo ka
> Shina no yoru, yume no yoru.

I believe that this is the most poetic portion of the song...

"obashima no ame" probably refers to two things;
1) the rain outside and 2) the tears of the broken hearted Chinese
girl falling onto the windowsill.

"hana mo chiru" : the rain makes the blossom fall
"beni mo chiru" : tears streak the rouge on the girl's cheeks

>Finally, who is speaking?

I guess the narrator (of the movie: see below)

>Who is waiting for whom?

Now that I know that this song was used in the movie that almost got
Yamaguchi Yoshiko (aka Li Kouran) executed, I think it's quite obvious
that it's the kuunyan that is waiting for the Japanese soldier to
return.

>One more last, extra question: Is Japanese hard?

<g>
Nah, only when you need help ;-)

--
Taroh K. YGP Tokyo
'92 H-D FLSTF modified Trike

B. Ito

Mar 8, 2001, 11:22:15 AM3/8/01

Bart Mathias <mat...@hawaii.edu> wrote in message

> I. Bet B. Ito will be interested in this, if no one else is.
>
> One of the first things I ever learned in Japanese was the song
> "Shina-no yoru" (followed closely by "Nagasaki-no ochoosan"). At
> that stage of my studies, I couldn't hope to get more than a vague
> understanding of it.
>
> I haven't thought about the song in decades. I got some e-mail today
> that included the song and an English translation that seemed wrong
> to me in some particulars. But more than anything else, it made me
> realize that I still don't understand the song, some 45+ years later.
>
>Shina no yoru, Shina no yoru yo
That night in the China town. That night in the China town.

>Minato no akari murasaki no yo ni

Those harbor lights and the purple night

>Noboru janku no, yume no fune

The up-going pleasure-boat would be the one in a dream.

>ah ah... ah ah... wasurarenu kokyuu no ne

Ah ah....ah ah....I wouldn't forget that fidle sound.

>Shina no yoru, yume no yoru.

The night in China would be / the one in a dream.

(Note: I have not tried singing so hard yet according to these
wordings. So none of my special word-hyphening instruction
is indicated.)

> Is that a "purple night"? I know it's night-time, but I sort of
> thought it was a "purple world."

Yes, I think, it's a "purple night," the night with everything
in the town illuminated in purple by neon lights. I suppose
primitively the neon light used to be always close to purple
color. Recently neon lights are employed more in day-light
color. But it might be a "purple world."

I've not thought deeply of the meaning of this old song,
either. Just now I've done and temporally concluded
that the first verse would be "words" uttered by a visitor,
or the customer who once enjoyed one or a couple nights
in the brothel.

   The second verse would be "words" of the self-temptation
for the second or whatever-times' visit of the experienced
customer.

The third verse would be "words" of a girl in the house
looking forward to the next visit of a specific man in her
mind.

I would like to go my translations with such interpretation
of this old song. Will you let me hear any comment ?

Translations for the second and the third verses be
followed in a separate post.

--
jg2...@wonder.ocn.ne.jp B. Ito

westerfluss

Mar 8, 2001, 3:27:48 PM3/8/01

"Jack Oatmon" <joa...@gol.com> wrote in message

> Bart Mathias wrote:
>
> <snippity snip snip>
> > Shina no yoru, Shina no yoru yo Minato no akari murasaki no
yo
> > ni Noboru janku no, yume no fune ah ah... ah ah... wasurarenu
> > kokyuu no ne
> > Shina no yoru, yume no yoru.
> >
> >Is that a "purple night"? I know it's night-time, but I sort of
> >thought it was a "purple world."
>
> It's a purple night... lit up by the "minato no akari" no doubt.

場所は上海、港の夜は紫色だった。「、、、港の明かり紫の夜 、、、」の方
がすっきりしてていいんだけど?

> > Shina no yoru, Shino yoru yo
> > Yanagi no mado ni rantan yurete Akai torikago Shina musume ah
> > ah... ah ah... Yarusenai ai no uta
> > Shina no yoru, yume no yoru.
> >
> >What's a "yanagi-no mado"?

(家を外から見てる) 柳の木が丁度窓にかかる情景。明かりが入ったランタ
ンが窓に写る。赤い鳥籠に見える。「赤い鳥籠 支那娘」は作詞のテクニッ
ク。
支那娘は勿論ヒロインの桂蘭でしょう。

> ??? wakaranai...
> But I'll attempt several blindfolded shots ;-)
>
> 1) The window frame was made of willow.
> 2) The window was colored (yanagi) green.
> 3) It's a poetic way to describe a "noren"
>

> >How many lanterns? I've always pictured a Chinese girl looking out
> >window, one lantern swaying in the wind, and a red bird cage
> >alongside.

ランタンが何個かって?そんな数学的な話ではなく、メロドラマで淫靡な(あ
のころのまさに終わらんとする満州国や色々な運命を予期させる、なんと言っ
たらいいのか?)情景なんです。

> Reading it for the first time, that's basically the same image I
get.

> > Shina no yoru, Shina no yoru yo Kimi matsu yoi wa obashima no
> > ame ni Hana mo chiru chiru beni mo chiru ah ah... ah ah...
> > Wakarete mo wasuraryo ka
> > Shina no yoru, yume no yoru.
>
> I believe that this is the most poetic portion of the song...
>
> "obashima no ame" probably refers to two things;
> 1) the rain outside and 2) the tears of the broken hearted Chinese
> girl falling onto the windowsill.
>
> "hana mo chiru" : the rain makes the blossom fall
> "beni mo chiru" : tears streak the rouge on the girl's cheeks
>

> >Finally, who is speaking?
>
> I guess the narrator (of the movie: see below)
>
> >Who is waiting for whom?

「君待つ宵は」だからヒーローのせりふで、ヒーローが
桂蘭を待っているっていうシーンですよ。
たくさんあるじゃないですか。君待てども 君待てども 、、、 君恋し
唇、、、、

> Now that I know that this song was used in the movie that almost got
> Yamaguchi Yoshiko (aka Li Kouran) executed, I think it's quite
obvious
> that it's the kuunyan that is waiting for the Japanese soldier to
> return.

そう。満映のリ シャン ラン が桂蘭役で、長谷川一夫がヒーローの船員。リ
シャン ラン は日本人だから後で侮辱したという問題になってきます。

淫靡な世界ですね。

Westerfluss

Bart Mathias

Mar 8, 2001, 3:20:17 PM3/8/01
"JO" == "Jack Oatmon" writes:

JO> Bart Mathias wrote:

JO> > Shina no yoru, Shina no yoru yo Minato no akari murasaki
JO> > no yo ni Noboru janku no, yume no fune ah ah... ah ah...
JO> > wasurarenu kokyuu no ne Shina no yoru, yume no yoru.

I wonder why it got rewritten like that, after I carefully wrote it
line by line? Will the same thing happen to some experimental
results I just posted?

JO> It's a purple night... lit up by the "minato no akari" no doubt.

Thank you. Tokyo Joe's response also made that clear.

I'm usre I still have this on a 78 somewhere (Ho Mei Fan?); whether
the little sheet of words that came with it are still around, I don't
know.

JO> 1) The window frame was made of willow. 2) The window was colored
JO> (yanagi) green. 3) It's a poetic way to describe a "noren"

I had always taken it as 1), basically. After reading B. Ito's
comments, I'm now even sort of wondering if it's a window on that
noboru janku. I wonder if I can rent the movie at Blockbuster at get
a clearer idea.

By the way, the translation I saw did *not* make it "near the
bamboo." That was my own bętise (be^tise), even though I had just
made it a "willow window"! Something similar about the leaves, I
guess...

JO> "obashima no ame" probably refers to two things; 1) the rain
JO> outside and 2) the tears of the broken hearted Chinese girl
JO> falling onto the windowsill.

I wouldn't have guessed that she was crying that hard, although I
recognize that tears must basically be the cause of the beni
chiruing.

Lei Tanabe

Mar 8, 2001, 9:05:00 PM3/8/01

> Shina no yoru, Shina no yoru yo Minato no akari murasaki no yo

> ni Noboru janku no, yume no fune ah ah... ah ah... wasurarenu
> kokyuu no ne
> Shina no yoru, yume no yoru.
>
> Is that a "purple night"? I know it's night-time, but I sort of
> thought it was a "purple world."

"Murasaki no yo" expresses a night scene with an illumination of
harbour-lights.
The colour "murasaki" generally represents more bluish violet than purple.

> Shina no yoru, Shino yoru yo
> Yanagi no mado ni rantan yurete Akai torikago Shina musume ah
> ah... ah ah... Yarusenai ai no uta
> Shina no yoru, yume no yoru.
>
> What's a "yanagi-no mado"? It never bothered me before--I could
> accept "willow window" in a song in English without batting an eye,
> until someone asked me how to say it in Japanese and I realized I
> didn't know what it meant.

Fine branches of "yanagi" are flexible and it's a good material to make
furniture like rattan.
I suspect "yanagi-no mado" is a window of willow-craft.

> The translation I got in the mail made it "window near the bamboos."
> I can't get that...

I think that's a made-up "Asian" scenery.

> How many lanterns? I've always pictured a Chinese girl looking out a
> window, one lantern swaying in the wind, and a red bird cage
> alongside. The translation has "lanterns" (not a big deal, though),
> and the girl holding the bird cage (why?). Is she singing (or
> humming, as the translation has it) the love song? I guess I always
> took it that "Shina-no yoru" was a yarusenai ai-no uta.

I agree with you.

> "mado-ni torikago," "mado-ni musume" are both OK. What about
> "mado-ni rantan yurete"? I'd be tempted to put a "-de" there. Or is
> it like "hana-ga sono-NI saku" and "kigi-NI kotori-ga saezuru"?

"Mado-ni rantan-ga yurenagara aru" instead of "mado-de rantan-ga
yurete-iru".
I think "ni" emphasises the existence/being there, while "de" shows the
place where the action/movement is going on.

> Shina no yoru, Shina no yoru yo Kimi matsu yoi wa obashima no
> ame ni Hana mo chiru chiru beni mo chiru ah ah... ah ah...
> Wakarete mo wasuraryo ka
> Shina no yoru, yume no yoru.
>
> I have heard and used the word "obashima" many, many times, but every
> time was listening to, or singing, this song. I take it to refer,
> here, to the windowsill of the previous stanza.
>
> "Kimi matsu yoi-wa" bothers me two ways. It sounds generic to me:
> "NightS when ... wait for ...," but the following lines seem
> particular to one night. Finally, who is speaking? Who is waiting
> for whom?

Because of the following phrase "beni mo chiru", I suppose a Chinese woman
is waiting for a lover.

> One more last, extra question: Is Japanese hard?

You know better. :)

Lei

B. Ito

Mar 9, 2001, 4:13:48 AM3/9/01

> I. Bet B. Ito will be interested in this, if no one else is.

[.....]
My translation of the first verse is in my first post on
3/9th.

Now I'll tackle the second and the third verses.

(2)

>Shina no yoru, Shino yoru yo

That night in the China town. That night in the China Town.

>Yanagi no mado ni rantan yurete

Willow branches and lanterns / sway by her window.

>Akai torikago Shina musume
Look at the China girl with / a red bird-cage beside.

>ah ah... ah ah... Yarusenai ai no uta

Ah ah..., ah ah... Nothing but the love song
knows this feeling
?

>Shina no yoru, yume no yoru.

The night in Chine would be the one in a dream.

[.....]

I have an image that a bird case with a bird in it is
usually well fit in such girl's room. This is because she
often needs it as her room-mate when she is lonely
waiting next visitors.

(3)

>Shina no yoru, Shina no yoru yo

That night in the China town. That night in the China Town.

>Kimi matsu yoi wa obashima no ame ni

The night I wait for you / by the windowsill wet with rain.

>Hana mo chiru chiru beni mo chiru

Blossoms and my lip color / are both dying.

>ah ah... ah ah... Wakarete mo wasuraryo ka

Ah, ah...ah ah... I can't give up even after parting.

>Shina no yoru, yume no yoru.

The night in China would be the one in a dream.

------------------

In the last verse, the girl is speaking to herself looking
out of her window and waiting for the specific visitor
(customer or soldier) whom she loves.

--
jg2...@wonder.ocn.ne.jp B. Ito

Bart Mathias

Mar 9, 2001, 4:04:25 PM3/9/01
"BI" == "B. Ito" writes:
BI> (2)
BI> >Shina no yoru, Shino yoru yo
BI> That night in the China town. That night in the China
BI> Town.
BI> >Yanagi no mado ni rantan yurete
BI> Willow branches and lanterns / sway by her window.
BI> >Akai torikago Shina musume
BI> Look at the China girl with / a red bird-cage beside.
BI> >ah ah... ah ah... Yarusenai ai no uta
BI> Ah ah..., ah ah... Nothing but the love song
BI> knows
BI> this feeling
BI> >Shina no yoru, yume no yoru.
BI> The night in Chine would be the one in a dream.

BI> I have an image that a bird case with a bird in it is
BI> usually well fit in such girl's room. This is because
BI> she often needs it as her room-mate when she is lonely
BI> waiting next visitors.

If I understand Westerfluss, who must have seen the movie, the bird
cage is not a real bird cage, but a simile for the scene of a girl in
a window. I.e., she is the bird, the window the cage. I like your
way better, but I haven't seen the movie yet.

By the way, I don't understand about songs knowing feelings.

BI> >Shina no yoru, Shina no yoru yo
BI> That night in the China town. That night in the China
BI> Town.
BI> >Kimi matsu yoi wa obashima no ame ni
BI> The night I wait for you / by the windowsill wet
BI> with rain. >Hana mo chiru chiru beni mo chiru
BI> Blossoms and my lip color / are both dying.
BI> >ah ah... ah ah... Wakarete mo wasuraryo ka
BI> Ah, ah...ah ah... I can't give up even after
BI> parting. >Shina no yoru, yume no yoru.
BI> The night in China would be the one in a dream.

BI> In the last verse, the girl is speaking to herself
BI> looking out of her window and waiting for the specific
BI> visitor (customer or soldier) whom she loves.

Again, as you know by now, Westerfluss takes it as the soldier
waiting for her. (!)

Bart

Bart Mathias

Mar 9, 2001, 4:04:26 PM3/9/01
"w" == "westerfluss" writes:

w>
w> ランタンが何個かって?そんな数学的な話ではなく、メロドラマで淫靡な(あ
w> のころのまさに終わらんとする満州国や色々な運命を予期させる、なんと言っ
w> たらいいのか?)情景なんです。

Jookee (aka Joe Kay) is all very well and good, but doesn't cut it
from the English translation point of view. One needs to know, or
decide, whether it's a single lantern in a room, or a bunch of
lanterns outside, or in a bunch of rooms, or something that evokes
the proper image.

w> > >Who is waiting for whom?
w> >
w> 「君待つ宵は」だからヒーローのせりふで、ヒーローが
w> 桂蘭を待っているっていうシーンですよ。
w> たくさんあるじゃないですか。君待てども�君待てども�、、、
w> 君恋し
w> 唇、、、、

Jack Oatman (not his real name) had previously opined:
w> > Now that I know that this song was used in the movie that almost
w> > got Yamaguchi Yoshiko (aka Li Kouran) executed, I think it's
w> > quite obvious that it's the kuunyan that is waiting for the
w> > Japanese soldier to return.
w> >
w> そう。烹

No fair! You just said it's obviously HIM awaiting HER, and now you
agree with J.O. that it's the other way around (which is what I
thought, but I wondered who was saying so).

Bart

Lei Tanabe

Mar 10, 2001, 2:17:37 AM3/10/01

"B. Ito" <jg2...@wonder.ocn.ne.jp> wrote in message

> (2)
> >Shina no yoru, Shino yoru yo
> That night in the China town. That night in the China Town.

Chinatown is a section of a town where the Chinese people live and operate
their businesses outside their native countries.
I don't think it's the background of this song.

> >Yanagi no mado ni rantan yurete
> Willow branches and lanterns / sway by her window.

This is a different translation from mine.
Although I'm not 100% sure, I still think it's a window of willow-craft as I
commented in my previous post.

> I have an image that a bird case with a bird in it is
> usually well fit in such girl's room. This is because she
> often needs it as her room-mate when she is lonely
> waiting next visitors.

Next visitors?
I feel she's waiting for her lover to return.

> (3)

> >Hana mo chiru chiru beni mo chiru
> Blossoms and my lip color / are both dying.

I think "beni" is "hoo-beni".
Tears cause it to smudge.

Lei

B. Ito

Mar 10, 2001, 8:24:33 AM3/10/01

> "BI" == "B. Ito" writes:

[.....]

I completed my English translation of all the three verses
of "Shina No Yoru.," thanks to which I now have deeper
understanding or image of this song, though I haven't ever
seen nor read such movies or the like, either.

"Yanagi no mado"............ Lei's idea about "yanagi-craft"
may make sense. But I still think that "yanagi trees and
branches" and "many small lanterns" are usually well
matched for oriental commercially entertaining houses or
pavillions where girls wait for boys.

And as westerflues added in his post, those boys are mostly
solders in certain places and at certain times of some era.

    "a bird in the cage"............ No bird may be in the cage as in
the movie, said to be seen by westerflues. But I think
a parrot is usually fit in the cage, in such a sense as the
girl in the room can talk with the bird as a room-mate
while she is lonely and waiting for next viisitors. Or a canary
is caged therein in such a sense as to let it sing some
"love songs" for her to kill her lonely time waiting for her
amants.

"Who is speaking at whom ?" As I already thought after
reading the lyrics posted by Tokyo Kid in his post of March
8th, and wrote in my first posting, in the first and the
second verses, a man sings if this is an operetta and in the
third verse, a girl sings, I think still now.

--
jg2...@wonder.ocn.ne.jp B. Ito

B. Ito

Mar 10, 2001, 9:14:40 AM3/10/01

Lei Tanabe <l...@clear.net.nz> wrote in message news:3aa9...@clear.net.nz...

> "B. Ito" <jg2...@wonder.ocn.ne.jp> wrote in message
> > (2)
> > >Shina no yoru, Shino yoru yo
> > That night in the China town. That night in the China Town.
>
> Chinatown is a section of a town where the Chinese people live
and operate
> their businesses outside their native countries.
> I don't think it's the background of this song.

Yes, I understand very well what you mean, i.e. the famous
Chinatown in San Francisco.

First, there is one typo: "T" of "China Town" should be
a small letter. So I meant in my translation "the town
a man visited in China." Probably the town was "Shanhai."

> > >Yanagi no mado ni rantan yurete
> > Willow branches and lanterns / sway by her window.
>
> This is a different translation from mine.
> Although I'm not 100% sure, I still think it's a window of willow-craft as
> commented in my previous post.
>
> > I have an image that a bird case with a bird in it is
> > usually well fit in such girl's room. This is because she
> > often needs it as her room-mate when she is lonely
> > waiting next visitors.
>
> Next visitors?
> I feel she's waiting for her lover to return.

Yes, OK. What kind of lovers ? I'm sorry I may not
be so romantic as far as in the interpretation of this
specific song is concerned. As a matter of fact, I have
neither seen the movie nor read any literal
referrences or background.

> > (3)
> > >Hana mo chiru chiru beni mo chiru
> > Blossoms and my lip color / are both dying.
>
> I think "beni" is "hoo-beni".
> Tears cause it to smudge.

Yes, I think so, too. According to my understanding,
blossoms are falling in the rain and her lip color is
fading out in her tears due to her waiting a whole
hour or a couple of days waiting for her lover.

Maybe my word "dying" is inappropriate to espress
this situation ?

--
jg2...@wonder.ocn.ne.jp B. Ito

Ross Klatte

Mar 10, 2001, 10:30:39 AM3/10/01
>From: "Bart Mathias" mat...@hawaii.edu
>Date: 2001-03-09 16:04 Eastern Standard Time
>
>"w" == "westerfluss" writes:

The Westerfluss Memorandum has not yet appeared on AOL, and
probably never will.
I am able to decode your westerfluss quotations. NJStar says
it is in Shift JIS.

I was able to find the original westerfluss message on the
now-defective Dejanews site, but I can't get it to decode. I tried
the Internet Explorer View in Shift-JIS, Japanese (Auto-Select),
and Unicode (UTF-8). I also tried Western European (Windows)
then cut-and-paste to Notepad and then re-copy to NJStar, which
has always worked in the past. But not any more.

How about you posting the entire westerfluss response of 3/8 as
a quote so I can read it?

Ross
http://www.geocities.com/ross_klatte/

Ross Klatte

Mar 10, 2001, 10:38:39 AM3/10/01
Please disregard the part about reposting Westerfluss's
precious words of wisdom. After I cleared all my filters, his
message showed up correctly on AOL, along with half
a dozen porno promotions.

That still leaves me with the Dejagoogle problem, though.
I would like advice on decoding that site, in case I need
to revisit it. But first, I have half a dozen other interesting
sites to visit.

Ross
http://www.geocities.com/ross_klatte/

Bart Mathias

Mar 10, 2001, 3:15:32 PM3/10/01
"RK" == "Ross Klatte" writes:

RK> The Westerfluss Memorandum has not yet appeared on AOL, and
RK> probably never will.
RK> I am able to decode your westerfluss quotations. NJStar says it
RK> is in Shift JIS.

I'm glad you were able to get this on your own. The quotes were
definitely not Shift JIS, but New JIS.

I always have to repair the KI and KO sequences by hand, from outside
my newsreader (not much fun, so I tend to change short quotes to
romaji).

My newsreader doesn't allow ISO-2022 (or whatever it is) settings; I
wonder if that messes up my posts for people?

Bart

Ross Klatte

Mar 10, 2001, 4:38:27 PM3/10/01
Are these the correct names?
西條八十 作詞
Saijou Yaso sakushi
竹岡信幸 作曲
Takeoka Nobuyuki sakkyoku

Who is Yamaguchi Yoshiko?
Why was she almost executed? And by whom?
Who is Li Kouran?
Who is 桂蘭?

What is "obashima"? My decoding of the lyrics posted by
Tokyo Kid says:
君待つ宵は  欄干の雨に
kimi matsu yoi wa rankan no ame ni
* 欄干【らんかん】 handrail; bannister.
Edict has no entry for this.
Kakugawa has just 欄 for "Obashima" and marks it "furui."
I do not see where you guys are getting "window sill." It
seems to me more like a porch railing or a staircase bannister.

柳の窓に ランタン揺れて
赤い鳥籠 支那娘
Yanagi no mado ni lantan yurete
Akai torikao Shina musume
If Lei is right, and "willow" refers to the materials used
in the construction of the window, then I would have to say
that this is a bad poem. I don't want to say that, so I'll
disagree with Lei and vote for waving willow branches, or
even Bart's original relay of "the window among the
bamboos"--provided you replace "bamboo" with "willow."

"I'm sure I still have this on a 78 somewhere (Ho Mei Fan?)"...
What's "78"? Is that a new compression format?

If you want to download an old-fashioned MP3, you can do so
from
http://www.geocities.com/klatte_ross_a/misora_hibari_-_shina_no_yoru.mp3
It is about 2.8 megs and takes from 10 to 25 minutes on a 56K dial-up.

Ross
http://www.geocities.com/ross_klatte/

B. Ito

Mar 11, 2001, 4:30:13 AM3/11/01

> > "B. Ito" <jg2...@wonder.ocn.ne.jp> wrote in message
> > > (2)
> > > That night in the China town. That night in the China Town.
> >
> > Chinatown is a section of a town where the Chinese people live
> and operate
> > their businesses outside their native countries.
> > I don't think it's the background of this song.
>
> Yes, I understand very well what you mean, i.e. the famous
> Chinatown in San Francisco.
>
> First, there is one typo: "T" of "China Town" should be
> a small letter. So I meant in my translation "the town
> a man visited in China." Probably the town was "Shanhai."

I feel very sorry that I missed the point. I now realized
that I had used the word "China" as an adjective-like
noun like the "school" of a "school boy" without
considering any other conditions but the melody of the
original song..

Therefore, thanks to your comment, I wish to replace
the first line with either the following translations:

"That night in China. That night in China." or
"That night in the town in China. That night in the twon
in China."

> > > Willow branches and lanterns / sway by her window.
> >
> > This is a different translation from mine.
> > Although I'm not 100% sure, I still think it's a window of willow-craft
as
> > commented in my previous post.

Also as to this point, I've thought about the
Japanese expression "yanagino mado," and have
come to think more in your way but still as one of the
pending matters.

--
jg2...@wonder.ocn.ne.jp B. Ito

westerfluss

Mar 11, 2001, 8:46:40 AM3/11/01

> "B. Ito" <jg2...@wonder.ocn.ne.jp> wrote in message
> > (2)
> > >Shina no yoru, Shino yoru yo
> > That night in the China town. That night in the China
Town.

> Chinatown is a section of a town where the Chinese people live and
operate
> their businesses outside their native countries.
> I don't think it's the background of this song.

China town? 映画の舞台は上海、製作は満映(旧満州国)。全部がチャイナタ
ウン。

> > >Yanagi no mado ni rantan yurete
> > Willow branches and lanterns / sway by her window.
>
> This is a different translation from mine.
> Although I'm not 100% sure, I still think it's a window of
willow-craft as I
> commented in my previous post.

うーん、柳材の家具というのは今までお目にかかったことがありません。柳行
李(越中富山の薬売りが行商に使った)は有名ですが、家具、木工というより
は細工とよばれているようです。というのは、コリヤナギと呼ばれる木の''細
い枝''を乾燥させ、麻(?)などの紐で編んで主にバスケットなどを作るから
でしょう。
窓、窓枠となると構造材でしょうから結構大きくて強い木でなければ務まらな
いのでは?

> > I have an image that a bird case with a bird in it is
> > usually well fit in such girl's room. This is because
she
> > often needs it as her room-mate when she is lonely
> > waiting next visitors.
>
> Next visitors?
> I feel she's waiting for her lover to return.

(笑) そうですね。

Westerfluss

Jack Oatmon

Mar 11, 2001, 9:41:44 AM3/11/01
Ross Klatte wrote:

>Please disregard the part about reposting Westerfluss's
>precious words of wisdom. After I cleared all my filters, his
>message showed up correctly on AOL, along with half
>a dozen porno promotions.

<short circuited response>
...!?
Does that mean, westerfluss is a distributor of naughty pics?

>That still leaves me with the Dejagoogle problem, though.
>I would like advice on decoding that site, in case I need
>to revisit it. But first, I have half a dozen other interesting
>sites to visit.

To quote Michael Cash... "Happy wiggling" :-D

Jack Oatmon

Mar 11, 2001, 9:41:47 AM3/11/01
Ross Klatte wrote:

>Are these the correct names?
>西條八十 作詞
>Saijou Yaso sakushi
>竹岡信幸 作曲
>Takeoka Nobuyuki sakkyoku

Correct.

>Who is Yamaguchi Yoshiko?
>Why was she almost executed? And by whom?
>Who is Li Kouran?

Yamaguchi (Shirley) Yoshiko used to be a famous Japanese actress born
and raised in (Manchuria) China. Li Kouran is her Chinese name.
She starred in several Japanese propaganda films, which was the reason
why she was arrested and tried for treason by the Chinese government
after the War (she was so fluent in Chinese that everybody thought she
was a Manchurian working for the Japanese). She escaped execution
after it was proven that she was actually a Japanese.
She's currently 80 years old and a member of the Liberal Democratic
Party in Japan.

Here, try this:
http://www.noguchi.org/yamaguchi.html

>Who is 桂蘭?

That's the name of the heroine in the movie "Shina (Shang-hai) no
yoru" played by Li Kouran

>What is "obashima"? My decoding of the lyrics posted by
>Tokyo Kid says:
>君待つ宵は  欄干の雨に
>kimi matsu yoi wa rankan no ame ni
>* 欄干【らんかん】 handrail; bannister.
>Edict has no entry for this.
>Kakugawa has just 欄 for "Obashima" and marks it "furui."
>I do not see where you guys are getting "window sill." It
>seems to me more like a porch railing or a staircase bannister.

The railing upon the window is called "Rankan" (or "obashima")

<trimmity trim trim>

>"I'm sure I still have this on a 78 somewhere (Ho Mei Fan?)"...
>What's "78"? Is that a new compression format?

Apparently, you are much younger than Bart (last confirmed to be 135
years old) ;-)
"78" refers to a gramophone record (played at 78 rpm)

gggg...@gmail.com

Mar 11, 2017, 5:40:37 AM3/11/17
She died in 2014.

In the movie JOY LUCK CLUB, isn't there a scene where the characters are dancing (a tango?) to a song with a Latin beat?

That song is Yeh Lai Xian which was recorded by her and which was also popular in Japan.

gggg gggg

Apr 2, 2021, 1:00:06 AM4/2/21
(Youtube upload):

Misora Hibari - Shina no yoru romaji english

gggg gggg

Jul 28, 2021, 2:00:41 AM7/28/21
On Wednesday, March 7, 2001 at 6:26:02 PM UTC-8, Bart Mathias wrote:
(Youtube upload):

映画「支那の夜」(上海之夜) full version 長谷川一夫・ 李香蘭 1940年/民國29年/昭和15年

gggg gggg

Jan 18, 2022, 2:29:36 AM1/18/22
> Yamaguchi Yoshiko (aka Li Kouran) executed...

If you want to buy an original record by Yamaguchi Y., see the following Youtube upload:

This Hong Kong Shop Has the World’s Rarest Records

gggg gggg

Aug 12, 2023, 6:37:14 AM8/12/23
On Wednesday, March 7, 2001 at 6:26:02 PM UTC-8, Bart Mathias wrote:
English translation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-76rnfsuLs

gggg gggg

Aug 13, 2023, 4:02:59 PM8/13/23