Kansai-ben books?

moon.neko

Mar 29, 2008, 6:33:26 AM3/29/08
I'd like to learn to understand Kansai-ben. Any good texts, preferably
in English, on the subject?

Kevin Wayne Williams

Mar 31, 2008, 11:51:40 PM3/31/08
moon.neko wrote:
> I'd like to learn to understand Kansai-ben. Any good texts, preferably
> in English, on the subject?
I don't know any great books on the topic, but some of the NHK soap
operas are primarily in Kansai-ben, and there are novels written in
Kansai-ben. It really isn't that hard. The serial てれてる家族 was
pretty entertaining. It was based on てるてる坊主の照子さん. The drama
was never put into DVD form (licensing problems with the music), but the
book is still available from amazon.co.jp. I'd just order a set, and
start reading. It's a reasonably entertaining book, and not
overwhelmingly difficult if you can read standard Japanese.

わかば was in Kansai-ben as well, if I remember right. I left the States
just a little bit after it started. It's available in abbreviated DVD
from (36 hours of show compressed into 4 hours).

KWW

becki...@yahoo.co.jp

Apr 2, 2008, 1:10:34 AM4/2/08
On 3月29日, 午後7:33, "moon.neko" <moon.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to learn to understand Kansai-ben. Any good texts, preferably
> in English, on the subject?

I recommend 'Kinki Japanese'. A friend of mine got it as a gift, and
looking through it, the dialogues were very natural and it seemed
pretty thorough for the size of it.

Here's a link to amazon :
http://www.amazon.com/Kinki-Japanese-Dialects-Culture-Kansai/dp/0804820171/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207112506&sr=8-1

also another book on the same topic by the same authors:
http://www.amazon.com/Colloquial-Kansai-Japanese-Dialects-Language/dp/0804837236/ref=cm_lmf_tit_9_rsrsrs0

Hope this helps, and enjoy learning Kansai-ben! (I have to admit I
like it more than Hyoujungo...)
Becki Kanou

becki...@yahoo.co.jp

Apr 2, 2008, 1:33:37 AM4/2/08
On 4月1日, 午後12:51, Kevin Wayne Williams <kww.niho...@verizon.nut>
wrote:

> moon.neko wrote:
> > I'd like to learn to understand Kansai-ben. Any good texts, preferably
> > in English, on the subject?

> わかば was in Kansai-ben as well, if I remember right. I left the States

> just a little bit after it started. It's available in abbreviated DVD
> from (36 hours of show compressed into 4 hours).
>
> KWW

If I recall わかば is set in Kobe right after the earthquake. Which would
mean everyone speaks Kobe-ben, one version of Kansai-ben,
particularly distinguishable by the ~とう ending, such as 「何しとう?」rather
than 「何してんねん?」 as in Osaka-ben.

Becki Kanou

gggg gggg

Aug 1, 2022, 5:43:02 AM8/1/22
On Saturday, March 29, 2008 at 3:33:26 AM UTC-7, moon.neko wrote:
> I'd like to learn to understand Kansai-ben. Any good texts, preferably
> in English, on the subject?

(Recent Y. upload):

"Kansai Dialect vs Standard Japanese (Casual Japanese)"

gggg gggg

Aug 4, 2022, 10:50:53 PM8/4/22
On Saturday, March 29, 2008 at 3:33:26 AM UTC-7, moon.neko wrote:
> I'd like to learn to understand Kansai-ben. Any good texts, preferably
> in English, on the subject?

(2022 Youtube upload):

"What if Naruto was From Kansai? Famous Anime Quotes in Kansai, Hiroshima, and Fukuoka Dialects"