groups.google.com now supports Japanese

Ken Masuyama

Oct 16, 2001, 4:26:23 PM10/16/01
Looks like groups.google.com now displays Japanese correctly as far as
the original post is encoded right and the proper MIME header is set,
and we can search messages with Japanese. Still "beta", but Google
Groups is more useful than Deja now.
--
massangeana (Ken Masuyama)

David Nettles

Oct 18, 2001, 2:59:05 AM10/18/01
I just checked it out, but I the Japanese posts I checked are still showing
mangled Japanese. Do you have a URL for an example that I can check out?

Thanks in advance!

--
David Nettles
email: tetsuo...@hotmail.com

"Ken Masuyama" <ez3k...@asahi-net.or.jp> wrote in message

Ken Masuyama

Oct 20, 2001, 1:22:41 AM10/20/01
"David Nettles" <tetsuo...@hotmail.com> writes:

> I just checked it out, but I the Japanese posts I checked are still showing
> mangled Japanese. Do you have a URL for an example that I can check out?
>
> Thanks in advance!

For example in the "Small katakana 'ke'" thread,

ueshiba-san's:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=ja&selm=9qmc05%24c7k%241%40bgsv5905.tk.mesh.ad.jp
Mike (Wright)'s:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=ja&selm=3BC7E327.C0CF5DAA%40CoastalFog.net
Lei's:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=ja&selm=3bc8c96d%40clear.net.nz
Jim's:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=ja&selm=9q2osc%24380%241%40towncrier.cc.monash.edu.au
mine:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=ja&selm=uelo7ldrp.fsf%40asahi-net.or.jp
and yours:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=ja&selm=RbHx7.4377%240v4.710322%40news02.optonline.net
all looks fine.

Mike (NZAA)'s message doesn't display correctly
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=ja&selm=O6wx7.1405%24hJ1.104977%40news02.tsnz.net

because the message header doesn't contain Content-Type header.
In this case, you can see the article by adding "oe=iso-2022-jp" to the URL like:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=ja&selm=O6wx7.1405%24hJ1.104977%40news02.tsnz.net&oe=iso-2022-jp

Bart's message doesn't display correctly even if you add "oe=iso-2022-jp":
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=ja&selm=uelo7ldrp.fsf%40asahi-net.or.jp

because the header of this message specifies wrong encoding:

--
massangeana (Ken Masuyama)

David Nettles

Oct 21, 2001, 10:57:18 AM10/21/01
Cool! Thanks a lot!

Bart Mathias

Oct 21, 2001, 9:07:01 PM10/21/01
"KM" == "Ken Masuyama" writes:

KM> Bart's message doesn't display correctly even if you add
KM> "oe=iso-2022-jp":
KM>
KM> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=ja&selm=uelo7ldrp.fsf%40asahi-net.or.jp
KM> because the header of this message specifies wrong encoding:

There seems to be nothing I can do about that, sorry. My newsreader
only allows about 12 flavors of ISO-8859, and apparently it is set
dynamically--it isn't in the message in the outgoing-post queue where
I could edit it.

Bart

Jim Breen

Oct 21, 2001, 9:46:52 PM10/21/01
Bart Mathias <mat...@hawaii.edu> dixit:

Don't you use tin? I have: "mm_charset=ISO-2022-JP" in my .tin/tinrc
file.

--
Jim Breen [j.b...@csse.monash.edu.au http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/]
Computer Science & Software Engineering, Tel: +61 3 9905 3298

Bart Mathias

Oct 22, 2001, 8:44:12 PM10/22/01
"JB" == "Jim Breen" writes:

JB> Don't you use tin? I have: "mm_charset=ISO-2022-JP" in my
JB> .tin/tinrc file.

I used to, back in the days when I read the news on-line. Maybe I
should check whether tin for Amiga allows that setting, and get it,
if so.