”Japanese people, she says, are shocked to learn that English has no word that’s equivalent to amae: “a complete dependence on the nurturant indulgence of their caregiver.”

gggg gggg

Aug 3, 2022, 12:27:47 AM8/3/22

Jim

Aug 3, 2022, 10:02:54 AM8/3/22
On Tue, 02 Aug 2022 21:27:45 -0700, gggg gggg wrote:

> https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/08/08/how-universal-are-our-
emotions

Whatever we feel, what we communicate to others is largely
language, spoken or written, with motion be it of the body
or part of it (e.g. eyes) of particular importance. Yes,
motion to convey message is language, and not just "sign
language" that is labeled as such. "Direct experience"
or physical stimulation is minimal in sharing meaning
and knowledge, simply because it takes up so much time to
convey so little, however important it may be within the
limits of circumstance where and when used.

In all cases, there are circumstances in which the communication
takes place, that affect how the transmitter will choose to
communicate and how the recipient will recognize and understand
the message.

No element of communication, be it word or symbol, means exactly
the same to any two communicants. Past experience in using it,
either by transmitting or receiving, affect its meaning in the
mind.

For long distance communication, and conveyance of large amounts
of information, written language has long been preeminent, and
simply learning words and rules of grammar dominated our awareness
and understanding.

Today, with multi-media saturating the conscious experience of
most, allied to a unconstrained use of written forms of language,
exposure to the mass media is the single greatest element in
determining the meanings people will assign to commonly used words,
with exposure to written language (not to mention mathematical
language) preeminent only in "educated communication."

There may be an elemental meaning commonly known to most all for
a few words or symbols, but even that will be subject to great
modification due to exposure to useage by others.

We cannot and should not expect any one (individual or group) to
completely understand or use the same vocabulary as any other,
within a language or dialect much less between them. Even
awareness of common aspects share by two or more may be quite
limited or mostly nonexistent.

All is approximation, ideolect, dialect, and language, and
existence beyond the barest minimum is dependent on exposure
to others.

Cheers!

jim b.

--
UNIX is not user-unfriendly, it merely
expects users to be computer friendly.

gggg gggg

Aug 3, 2022, 1:16:59 PM8/3/22
Thank you for your quick and informative reply.

gggg gggg

Aug 3, 2022, 3:56:32 PM8/3/22
On Wednesday, August 3, 2022 at 7:02:54 AM UTC-7, Jim wrote:
- If we spoke a different language, we would perceive a somewhat different world.

Ludwig Wittgenstein.

gggg gggg

Aug 3, 2022, 7:30:16 PM8/3/22
Closest English word to amae = dependence?