Spirited Away

kweto

Oct 1, 2002, 8:12:47 AM10/1/02
Those of you in English-speaking areas, is Spirited Away being shown dubbed,
subtitled, or both? Also, it's not out in DVD or VHS form yet, is it?

(And, yes, I know it's out in Japan, however, I'm after a version that's
dubbed and subtitled (and closed-captioned?) in English. By the way, anyone
know why French was the language-of-choice for the Japanese DVD release?)

Cheers.

Curt Fischer

Oct 1, 2002, 9:07:22 AM10/1/02

"kweto" <kw...@ma.nma.ne.jp> wrote in message

> Those of you in English-speaking areas, is Spirited Away being shown
dubbed,
> subtitled, or both? Also, it's not out in DVD or VHS form yet, is it?

The US-based reviews I read all listed distincly non-Japanese sounding
names as the speakers for the various roles. See
http://archive.salon.com/ent/movies/review/2002/09/25/spirited/ . This
fact makes me strongly suspect that the movie is being shown dubbed in
English.

> (And, yes, I know it's out in Japan, however, I'm after a version
that's
> dubbed and subtitled (and closed-captioned?) in English. By the way,
anyone
> know why French was the language-of-choice for the Japanese DVD
release?)

I'm going to guess that as part of the deal between Disney and Ghibli
studios, Disney got all the rights to (production and?) distribution to
a spoken English version. Since I have not read the contract between
the two, however, I am blissfully unaware of the actual truth on the
matter.

--
Curt Fischer

Ed Sayre

Oct 1, 2002, 9:15:20 AM10/1/02
kweto (kw...@ma.nma.ne.jp) wrote:
: Those of you in English-speaking areas, is Spirited Away being shown dubbed,

: Cheers.

I went to a theater in San Francisco that was showing it
subtitled, but I think most of them are dubbed. If you look at
this link:
http://www.moviefone.com/showtimes/movie.adp?page=main&movieid=12056&date=20021001&view=cast

you can see the voice talent on both sides of the Pacific. The DVD is
also available, but not sure on all the details.

Diana SilverLight

Oct 1, 2002, 9:20:15 AM10/1/02
kweto wrote:

There are both subtitled and dubbed versions in the theaters. Generally, if the movie gets 2 screens at a particular theater, they will show both. If there is only one screen, it will probably be the dub, unless it's a very art-house type of place. Reports say the dub is pretty decent. It is not available here DVD yet, although it certainly will be. (Release dates not yet announced - it could be quite a ways off.)

--
Diana
E-mail is netscape, not nyetscape.

Kevin Wayne Williams

Oct 1, 2002, 10:47:33 AM10/1/02
Ed Sayre wrote:

> kweto (kw...@ma.nma.ne.jp) wrote:
> : Those of you in English-speaking areas, is Spirited Away being shown dubbed,
> : subtitled, or both? Also, it's not out in DVD or VHS form yet, is it?
>
> : (And, yes, I know it's out in Japan, however, I'm after a version that's
> : dubbed and subtitled (and closed-captioned?) in English. By the way, anyone
> : know why French was the language-of-choice for the Japanese DVD release?)

The Japanese DVD release does have English sub-titling, but no English
dubbing. The French-dubbing was produced because the movie was released
in France very quickly. Their fondness for Miyazaki will nearly
compensate for their enjoyment of Jerry Lewis.

In the San Jose, California area, it is being shown in three theaters:
the big AMC movie houses are showing the dubbed version, and the
CineArts "art-house" style theater is showing the subtitled version.

One thing I like about the Japanese DVD is the Japanese subtitling.
Helps me reinforce kanji knowledge to sit back and let the actors read
the subtitles to me.

KWW

David Chien

Oct 1, 2002, 4:57:23 PM10/1/02
Oh, and it's out everywhere here in Los Angeles on Japnese DVD import.
Checkout the two bookstores in Downtown Little Tokyo. Kinokuniya had a
handful of them next to the cash register this weekend.

http://www.mindspring.com/~bwong3/kinokuniya.htm
for a virtual tour and pictures of the bookstore.

(website has a lot of stores in the area linked and described, esp. re:
anime)

Kinokuniya Bookstore
123 Onizuka Street, #205
Los Angeles, CA 90012

(213) 687-4480
MapQuest Map

www.kinokuniya.co.jp/english/index.html
10:00 A.M. - 8:00 P.M. daily

David Chien

Oct 1, 2002, 4:54:11 PM10/1/02
Japanese DVDs come in Japanese speaking, English subtitle if desired. No
English speaking at all. US version will likely come dubbed ala Mononoke
was.

Kevin Gowen

Oct 1, 2002, 8:51:18 PM10/1/02

The Japanese DVD has French, English, and Japanese subtitles.

--
Kevin Gowen            ケビン・ゴーエン
FSU College of Law 佛勒里達州立大學法學部

Sceadu

Oct 1, 2002, 10:51:20 PM10/1/02
> Those of you in English-speaking areas, is Spirited Away being shown dubbed,
> subtitled, or both? Also, it's not out in DVD or VHS form yet, is it?

I know both dub and sub versions are playing in Chicago.

Sceadu

hpl.hp.com

Oct 1, 2002, 10:56:41 AM10/1/02
The one shown here in Palo Alto, California, is subtitled.

kweto (kw...@ma.nma.ne.jp) wrote:
: Those of you in English-speaking areas, is Spirited Away being shown dubbed,

Dewey, Chetham & Howe

Oct 2, 2002, 7:52:38 PM10/2/02
On Tue, 1 Oct 2002 21:12:47 +0900, "kweto" <kw...@ma.nma.ne.jp> wrote:

>Those of you in English-speaking areas, is Spirited Away being shown dubbed,
>subtitled, or both?

Both, depending. In San Francisco, you can see both versions at the
AMC Kabuki 8 (and stop by the Kinokuniya bookstore located in the same
complex.) Downtown at the Loews Metroplex, they only have the dubbed
version. But it's being shown in digital DLP in a THX auditorium.

The dub works. In fact, it's very good. There are a few lines that
seem a trifle force-fitted, but maybe it's because I've heard the
Japanese version a number of times.

John Lasseter, director of Toy Story, A Bug's Life, Monsters Inc.,
executive-produced the dub for his friend of 20 years, Hayao Miyazaki.
Mr. Lasseter saw to it that not a single frame of the original was
cut, and that the english dub stayed very close to the meanings of the
original Japanese dialog. The changes were mostly to explain cultural
things that an American audience wouldn't automatically know.

BTW, the wrought iron lamp that hops up to greet Chihiro on the swamp
road is Miyazaki's in-joke reference to Lasseter's first short film,
Luxo, Jr. http://www.pixar.com/shorts/ljr/

>Also, it's not out in DVD or VHS form yet, is it?

It is if you have a DVD player capable of playing Region 2 disks and a
TV system capable of viewing them in NTSC -- AND you're willing to pay
about USD60.00 for the disk. VHS tapes are also available from Japan,
but I don't think they're subtitled.
--
Warren J. Savage
'pas de lieu Rhône qui nous'