How to pronounce "Hough"

WesleyP

Feb 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/3/97

Save me from the ridicule of my colleagues!

I need to do a verbal presentation on edge detection. How does
one pronounce "Hough" transform -- is it like "huff" or like "how"
or what?

Perry West

Feb 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/3/97

WesleyP (wes...@aol.com) wrote:
: Save me from the ridicule of my colleagues!

: I need to do a verbal presentation on edge detection. How does
: one pronounce "Hough" transform -- is it like "huff" or like "how"
: or what?

I've always heard Hough pronounced "Huff".

Regards,
Perry

Michael R. Bastian

Feb 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/3/97

WesleyP wrote:

> Save me from the ridicule of my colleagues!
>
> I need to do a verbal presentation on edge detection. How does
> one pronounce "Hough" transform -- is it like "huff" or like "how"
> or what?

It is pronounced huff. It rhymes with rough.
--
Michael R. Bastian
Image Understanding Laboratory

Walter Gray

Feb 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/3/97

In article <19970203013...@ladder01.news.aol.com>, wes...@aol.com (WesleyP) writes:
>Save me from the ridicule of my colleagues!
>
>I need to do a verbal presentation on edge detection. How does
>one pronounce "Hough" transform -- is it like "huff" or like "how"
>or what?

The only person I know called Hough pronounces her name "Hoff",
that's here in the UK, but maybe it's different in the US.

William C. Snyder

Feb 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/3/97
to WesleyP

Hi,

Hough is "huff," rhymes with bluff.

-Will

--
Dr. William Snyder
wi...@icess.ucsb.edu

Brendan Welch, W1LPG

Feb 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/3/97

>>I need to do a verbal presentation on edge detection. How does
>>one pronounce "Hough" transform -- is it like "huff" or like "how"
>>or what?
>>

> The only person I know called Hough pronounces her name "Hoff",
> that's here in the UK, but maybe it's different in the US.

Forgive me for the small story, folks:

There was a kid in the class behind me; his name was Hough (or was it
Haugh (?)). Anyway, his classmates use to say

"Who he?" and then answer "Hee haw".
--
Brendan Welch, system analyst, UMass/Lowell, W1LPG, wel...@woods.uml.edu

Paul M. Mather

Feb 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/4/97

:
: I need to do a verbal presentation on edge detection. How does

: one pronounce "Hough" transform -- is it like "huff" or like "how"
: or what?
:
:
Most English (British) English would say "hoff" (with a short 'o' as in
hot). Like German Hof.

The English language was developed to confuse invaders from France and
other neighbouring countries. hence we have "though", "plough", "through",
and now "Hough". If you have the misfortune to watch BBC TV, look for a
series called Dad's Army. The chief charactacter (notice the mis-match in
pronunciation between ch of chief and ch of character, by the way) is
called Mainwairing, which is pronounced Mannering.

Don't ask me why.

Prof. Paul M. Mather |
Department of Geography | internet Paul....@nottingham.ac.uk
University of Nottingham |
University Park |
Nottingham NG7 2RD | tel +44 (0)115 9 515 430/428/429
England (U.K.) | fax +44 (0)115 9 515 248/249

| *** NOTE NEW AREA CODE FOR NOTTINGHAM ***

William Paul Berriss

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

Paul said:
.
.

> series called Dad's Army.
> The chief character (notice the mis-match in

> pronunciation between ch of chief and ch of character, by the way) is
> called Mainwairing, which is pronounced Mannering.
>
> Don't ask me why.

It's just a silent W isn't it? i.e. Mainairing, (with French accent?)

What about the 2 similar kitchen objects saucepan (pron. sore-span)
and saute pan (so-tay pan) then?

Did anyone get the Hew Haw joke? Hee haw huff? and I'll blow your
house down?

I'm not very good with jokes.

Thanks

Will
====

W P Berriss E-mail: W.P.B...@reading.ac.uk
Department of Engineering
The University of Reading
Whiteknights
Reading Tel: 0118 987 5123
Berkshire (+44 118 987 5123 outside UK)
RG6 6AY
England Fax: 0118 931 3327

World Wide Web Home Page:

http://www.elec.rdg.ac.uk/people/postgrads/will.html

Reinert H.G.Mueller

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

In article <5d7un3$r...@paperboy.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk>, mat...@geography.nottingham.ac.uk (Paul M. Mather) says:

>Most English (British) English would say "hoff" (with a short 'o' as in
>hot). Like German Hof.
>
>The English language was developed to confuse invaders from France and

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I fully agree with that!
Please use, however, a long ´o´ with German ´Hof´.
German is much easier, just pronounce as you write :-)

>other neighbouring countries. hence we have "though", "plough", "through",
>and now "Hough". If you have the misfortune to watch BBC TV, look for a

>series called Dad's Army. The chief charactacter (notice the mis-match in

>pronunciation between ch of chief and ch of character, by the way) is
>called Mainwairing, which is pronounced Mannering.
>
>Don't ask me why.

Reinert H. G. Mueller, The F.I.B.U.S. research institute, guess where?

Mark S. Hayworth

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

I've only ever heard it pronounced as "Huff."
But I suppose the best way is to ask him. Does anyone know if Hough
is still around (alive). Maybe he could answer himself via
newsgroup or e-mail. Or maybe there is someone around who worked with
him or met him.

Joerg Rheims

Feb 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/7/97
to Mark S. Hayworth

Mark S. Hayworth wrote:

> I've only ever heard it pronounced as "Huff."
> But I suppose the best way is to ask him. Does anyone know if Hough
> is still around (alive). Maybe he could answer himself via
> newsgroup or e-mail.

He got a patent on his 'H.'-transformation in 1961. So he must either be
rather old or is already deceased.

Joerg Rheims

Dipl.-Ing. Joerg Rheims
Verfahrenstechnik / FB 4 Tel. (0412) 218-5428
Badgasteiner Str. 3, 28359 Bremen Fax (0412) 218-5333
Postfach 330 440, 28334 Bremen e-mail r...@iwt.uni-bremen.de
http://imperator.cip-iw1.uni-bremen.de:80/~fg01/laser/rheims/joe.html

crawshaw...@gmail.com

Jul 8, 2019, 7:21:55 PM7/8/19
My maiden name is "Hough" There was a poem wrote by Emerson Hough that is a cute way to say it, I've been looking for it , my Nephew is getting married and I would like to find it for his Bride to be. She has already said "It will not be rough, I'll soon be a Hough"!! That is part of it, but I would love to find it for her. Thank you ahead if anyone knows where I can find it!!!

crawshaw...@gmail.com

May 15, 2020, 11:37:43 PM5/15/20
My maiden name is Hough I had the poem at one time. I will see if I can find it and get back to you.

Rajesh Deshwal

May 16, 2020, 3:48:04 AM5/16/20
It is pronounced as huff...