Black scientific???

Lou

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
Yesterday, I had a discussion with some friends of mine on science and
they were convinced that no Black man had ever discovered something of
real importance. But, I'm sure there is... So if someone out there can
help me with this one (just tell me the name and his/her discovery), I
would be very very very grateful and happy to shut off their trap once
and for all !!!

Many thanks!

--Lou

Steve Spence

Dec 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/1/99
here are more than you can shake a stick at.

http://educate.albion.edu/art/aframsci/index.html Adom, Edwin
(Psychiatrist) Emeagwali, Philip (Scientist) McCoy, Elijah J. (Inventor)
Banneker, Benjamin (Scientist) Ferrebee, Dorothy Boulding (Physician)
McNair, Ronald Erwin (Astronaut)
Canady, Alexa (Neurosurgeon) Hall, Lloyd Augustus (Chemist) Moses,
Robert Parris (Mathematician)
Carruthers, George (Physicist) Henson, Matthew Alexander (Explorer)
Prothrow-Stith, Deborah (Physician)
Dickens, Helen Octavia (Physician) Jackson, Shirley A. (Physicist)
Walker, Madame C.J. (Inventor/Entrepreneur)
Drew, Charles (Physician Scientist) Jemison, Mae C. (Astronaut)
Williams, Dale Hale (Physician)
Earls, Julian (Physicist) Just, Ernest Everett (Biologist)
Elders, Joycelyn (Surgeon General) Kountz, Samuel L. (Physician)

--
Steve Spence
Renewable Energy Pages

--

"Lou" <louise....@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

Sassy Lady

Dec 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/1/99

Well, there are many specific inventions by African Americans that we use
every day. You might be surprised to know that nearly all of the
accoutrements in our kitchens that make our lives easier were created by
Black men. This is a good, long list that I got from my AfroAm professor at
Stanford University.

BLACK INVENTORS AND INVENTIONS

Product Inventor
Date
======= ======== =====

air conditioning unit Frederick M. Jones July 12, 1949
almanac Benjamin Banneker Approx 1791
auto cut-off switch Granville T. Woods January 1, 1839
auto fishing devise G. Cook May 30, 1899
automatic gear shift Richard Spikes February 28, 1932
baby buggy W.H. Richardson June 18, 1899
bicycle frame L.R. Johnson October 10, 1899
biscuit cutter A.P. Ashbourne November 30, 1875
blood plasma bag Charles Drew Approx. 1945
cellular phone Henry T. Sampson July 6, 1971
chamber commode T. Elkins January 3, 1897
clothes dryer G. T. Sampson June 6, 1862
curtain rod S. R. Scratton November 30, 1889
curtain rod support William S. Grant August 4, 1896
door knob O. Dorsey December 10, 1878
door stop O. Dorsey December 10, 1878
dust pan Lawrence P. Ray August 3, 1897
egg beater Willie Johnson February 5, 1884
electric lampbulb Lewis Latimer March 21, 1882
elevator Alexander Miles October 11, 1867
eye protector P. Johnson November 2, 1880
fire escape ladder J. W. Winters May 7, 1878
fire extinguisher T. Marshall October 26, 1872
folding bed L. C. Bailey July 18, 1899
folding chair Brody & Surgwar June 11, 1889
fountain pen W. B. Purvis January 7, 1890
furniture caster O. A. Fisher 1878
gas mask Garrett Morgan October 13, 1914
golf tee T. Grant December 12, 1899
guitar Robert F. Flemming, Jr. March 3, 1886
hair brush Lydia O. Newman November 15, 18--
hand stamp Walter B. Purvis February 27 1883
horse shoe J. Ricks March 30, 1885
ice cream scooper A. L. Cralle February 2, 1897
improv. sugar making Norbet Rillieux December 10, 1846
insect-destroyer gun A. C. Richard February 28, 1899
ironing board Sarah Boone December 30, 1887
key chain F. J. Loudin January 9, 1894
lantern Michael C. Harvey August 19, 1884
lawn mower L. A. Burr May 19, 1889
lawn sprinkler J. W. Smith May 4, 1897
lemon squeezer J. Thomas White December 8, 1893
lock W. A. Martin July 23, 18--
lubricating cup Ellijah McCoy November 15, 1895
lunch pail James Robinson 1887
mail box Paul L. Downing October 27, 1891
mop Thomas W. Stewart June 11, 1893
motor Frederick M. Jones June 27, 1939
peanut butter George Washington Carver1896
pencil sharpener J. L. Love November 23, 1897
record player arm Joseph Hunger Dickenson January 8, 1819
refrigerator J. Standard June 14, 1891
riding saddles W. D. Davis October 6, 1895
rolling pin John W. Reed 1864
shampoo headrest C. O. Bailiff October 11, 1898
spark plug Edmond Berger February 2, 1839
stethoscope Imhotep Ancient Egypt
stove T. A. Carrington July 25, 1876
straightening comb Madam C. J. Walker Approx 1905
street sweeper Charles B. Brooks March 17, 1890
phone transmitter Granville T. Woods December 2, 1884
thermostat control Frederick M. Jones February 23, 1960
traffic light Garrett Morgan November 20, 1923
tricycle M. A. Cherry May 6, 1886
typewriter Burridge & Marshman April 7, 1885

Ryan Simmons

Dec 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/1/99
In article <3843EFBC...@sympatico.ca>, louise....@sympatico.ca
says...

>Yesterday, I had a discussion with some friends of mine on science and
>they were convinced that no Black man had ever discovered something of
>real importance. But, I'm sure there is... So if someone out there can
>help me with this one (just tell me the name and his/her discovery), I
>would be very very very grateful and happy to shut off their trap once
>and for all !!!

Benjamin Banneker - He published a well-respected scientific almanac in the
mid 1700s in the Baltimore/Washington DC area and was also one of the
surveyors of Washington when it was selected the site of the US capitol.
________
___ __ \_____ ________ ________
__ /_/ /__ / / /_ __ `/__ __ \ Ryan Simmons
_ _, _/ _ /_/ / / /_/ / _ / / / RSim...@XhomeX.Xcom
/_/ |_| _\__, / \__,_/ /_/ /_/ (Oops, there are Xes in my address)
/____/

Herman Family

Dec 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/1/99

Lou wrote in message <3843EFBC...@sympatico.ca>...

>Yesterday, I had a discussion with some friends of mine on science and
>they were convinced that no Black man had ever discovered something of
>real importance. But, I'm sure there is... So if someone out there can
>help me with this one (just tell me the name and his/her discovery), I
>would be very very very grateful and happy to shut off their trap once
>and for all !!!
>
>Many thanks!
>
>--Lou

Somewhere in the list of Black accomplishments I believe is the first open
heart surgery.

Michael

Rob Vuckovic

Dec 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/30/99
I come from Australia. Here our indiginous peoples are the Aborigines. It
is true that they did not discover the wheel and lived somewhat of a nomadic
existence, but I believe they invented something better than even the wheel,
which modern man only discovered earlier this century. Aborigines
discovered the aerofoil or aircraft wing, we call it the boomerang, it is
curved in the right fashion to give it lift and fly and even returns back to
you. May not be very scientific but a breakthrough none the less.
Regards
Rob

Torc

Jan 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/14/00
If you really want to knock the wind from their sails remind them that black
men invented civilisation (ie the first to halt the nomadic existance and
settle in villages with trading for supplies).
There is evidence for this in archaeological excavations in Nigeria (and
many other african countries).

Slainte

Torc

Dave Gower

Jan 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/17/00

Perhaps you could deal with this issue in a more scientific way that simply
trying to recall names of black scientists. There are some issues in science
which are as yet little understood, and one of these is how the physical
brain generates a conscious mind. In particular, we know very little about
the nature of insight and creativity.

Until more is known about these questions, there is not even a way to
measure true intelligence. Hence any link between the activities of various
groups in society and their underlying qualities is at present unknowable.

While "objective" science exists in an abstract sense, in practice science
is made up of people and all people have cultures. It may well be that the
scientific culture is more comfortable for some people than others, People
are not laboratory rats that can be experimented on, so there is at present
no definitive answer to this.

What is important is not to weigh down individuals with irrelevant baggage
based on their membership in some arbitrary group. The next Einstein may be
growing up today in an inner city black ghetto. Let's not discourage her
with unproven characterisations.

Think your "friends" will follow this? Unlikely but try anyway.

Cheers

Steve Spence

Dave Gower

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00
Thanks. I missed the earlier posts, but this is very much in line with my
message.

Cheers

Steve Spence <steve....@home.com> wrote in message

joseph moorman

Feb 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/6/00
Hey everyone in this site is a big fucking fag get a life

Kaj Andersson

Feb 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/14/00

joseph moorman <jmoo...@mindspring.com> skrev i
diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:87l73r$9df$1...@nntp9.atl.mindspring.net...

> Hey everyone in this site is a big fucking fag get a life

Can You explain that - I can´t follow Your thoughts ....

Basirah Dean

Feb 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/26/00
We recently posted to our site this grant announcement
that may be of interest to you regarding support for minority
scientists. Obviously these funding agencies recognize that
the intellectual talents of minorities have been underrepresented:

The National Institute of General Medical Sciences (NIGMS) and the Office of
Research on Minority Health (ORMH), National Institutes of Health (NIH),
reannounce opportunities to apply for funding for the Bridges to the Future
Program. The Bridges to the Future Program was established in 1992 to
facilitate specific transitions in the career paths of underrepresented
minority
scientists. The mission of the Bridges to the Future program is to make
available to the biomedical science research enterprise and to the nation
the
intellectual talents of an increasing number of underrepresented minority
group
members.

Basirah Dean
Grant Update
http://www.arcpro.net/grantupdate

Kaj Andersson

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00
And what´s in it for you ?

I find the whole discussion boring. I have lots of black, coloured, and
other scientific close friends of different ethnic origin , but this last
comment on the issue is nothing but a commercial.

/Kaj

Basirah Dean <newg...@nol.net> skrev i
diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:zpUt4.72665$ox5.19...@tw11.nn.bcandid.com...

brian whatcott

Mar 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/5/00
What kind of radical thread is this?
next thing, some malcontent will be pointing out that about 95%
of College professors in physics, engineering, chemistry etc
are males - for the most part white males - and then where will we be?

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

In article <zpUt4.72665$ox5.19...@tw11.nn.bcandid.com>,
newg...@nol.net says...