Grupos de Google ya no admite nuevas publicaciones ni suscripciones de Usenet. El contenido anterior sigue siendo visible.

Any hunters in this group?

Visto 3 veces
Saltar al primer mensaje no leído

Stanleyj

no leída,
1 nov 1998, 3:00:001/11/98
If you are, what are you using? What does the real world recommend?

Stan

Dave Hutchinson

no leída,
1 nov 1998, 3:00:001/11/98

Stanleyj wrote:

> If you are, what are you using? What does the real world recommend?
>
> Stan

Stan,

I use a Garmin GPS II+. I have had it in the field for 2 seasons now,
going on a third this year. Configuration is as comes from factory. It
works very well in the flooded timber in Arkansas for duck hunting.
(November through January).

I did take it this year for the first time opening day of squirrel
season while the leaves were still very green and thick. At startup,
it did not like to lock on to sats while I was moving around. I
stopped under thick cover untill it locked. Signal strength was about
half scale on several sats. Once I locked on, I proceed into the
backcountry and all worked very well. I put the GPS in my top pocket
of my coveralls, and it tracked me all over the place. Lots of big
green oak trees and pecan trees, but no probs.

I checked several places I had marked with the GPS last year. One was
where my deer stand usually goes opening day. It "guided" me to about
50 feet from my tree. SA was very "kind" to me that day. I have seen
it however where SA will have you a couple of hundred feet from the
stand.

It is a handy tool to have on you in case you need some emergency
navigation to get out. (Flashlight goes out, you loose your compass,
get disoriented, ect...). I use it to mark all of my deer stands, my
buddies stands, scrapes, ect. I also use it to mark downed game in
backcountry that I am not familiar with, so I can get back to the same
area without loosing game.

I still rely heavily on compass readings while traveling slowly through
the woods. I have found that GPS works very well with moving targets
(ie me walking to the truck), but not well with stationary, or slow
(stalking) ones. Its still a very good tool to have though....just
dont throw that compass away

Dave
Almyra, Arkansas

rclement

no leída,
1 nov 1998, 3:00:001/11/98
Hi Stan
Im using a Garmin 12XL4.02 Ver. & Eagle Map Guide PRO Ver.1.2.They both
work well for me and the type of hunting I do. With the 12XL I use Waypoint+
& OziExplore with scanned in topo maps that I did. The MGPro I use the
program that came with it and OziExplore in fact I just download my
wapoints & tracks from both to files of a deer hunt I went on this last week
just got home 3 hours ago. the Garmin III seems to be the big thing on this
news group I see some GM100s I tried to get one but couldn"t find anyone
that had them so I got the Eagle MG Pro it doesn"t have Ext. Ant the GM100
does used it in heavy pines and oaks never had a problem even got locks
inside camp house.

Roger
Stanleyj wrote in message <363eeabf...@news.buffnet.net>...

marcel st laurent

no leída,
1 nov 1998, 3:00:001/11/98

Stanleyj wrote:

> If you are, what are you using? What does the real world recommend?
>
> Stan

I'm using Garmin 40, it's old but more precise than the magellan 2000

David Rosin

no leída,
1 nov 1998, 3:00:001/11/98
Garmin III It is great. Mark the truck, and head into the woods ... scout
until can walk anymore, marking White oaks, rubs, pawed out places. Then
GOTO truck and gives me a bearing ... I'm back at the truck, no extra
walking ... like I said, it is great.

SA (Selective Availability) sucks a big one ... mark a hard wood thicket,
clump shit, hit trees (note I said trees, not saplings) back to camp, and
then up at 5am next morning ...9/10 of a mile in the woods, 21 lb climbing
stand on my back and off for the 9/10 of a mile trek. I'm there, at least
the GPS says I'm there ... no hardwood thicket ... pines all around (it is
pitch black). ... GPS now says the waypoint is 550 ft east, off I trek ...
300 ft ... 100 ft ... I'm there ... no hardwood thicket .. more pines ...
now the GPS says the waypoint is 300 ft south ....I shut the thing off and
wait until day light ... walk 75 feet and put up my stand ... slung three
arrows that day ... one miss, two hits ... nothing with horns though :(

Stanleyj wrote in message <363eeabf...@news.buffnet.net>...

David Rosin

no leída,
1 nov 1998, 3:00:001/11/98
Also ... stick a doe and she runs off .. no blood trail to speak of ...
start the track log, start looking .. after a while, check the track log to
see places that I have missed in the pattened search ... like I said in the
first note ... it is great!

Andrew Kalinowski

no leída,
1 nov 1998, 3:00:001/11/98
Yep,
I'm (not he only) one of them.
I was using Eagle Expedition last year. This year I have Lowrance GM100.
Came back from moose hunt couple of weeks ago. Had my GM100 uploaded with
maps created with OziMC (alpha). Had all the tracks, logging roads, swamps,
rivers, lakes right on the screen! Didn't have to take the printed map out
of the pocket! GM100 didn't fail me once. I carry it in the upper pocked of
my hunting jacket. In there, it keeps the lock very well. Worst case
repeatability I found after analysing plots was in a deep, wooded ravine.
"In" and "out" tracks were briefly separated by about 150 meters. Not really
a surprise taking into the account terrain + foliage + SA + half of the
satellite in possible view covered by my body. Typically I find
repeatability to be within 50 meters. And well under that, if the reference
position was averaged for 15 minutes or more. Most of the features I
converted from last year tracks / Icons and waypoints collected with EEx.
They were smack on this year - I guess continental drift isn't that big
after all ;-))
If you are on the market for GPS, definitely get one with uploadable maps.
It's the greatest leap personal GPS took since 12 channel parallel receiver
came on the market. But, you might want to wait till next year when Garmin
releases theirs. It's a competitive market and I'm sure Garmin will want to
one up Lowrance. In fact, if you are willing to wait, wait till Lowrance
announces their response to upcoming GIII+ from Garmin. Lowrance has a head
start in map uploadable GPS's, so it shouldn't take them long to respond. My
guess - within a month of GIII+ hitting the market.
By the way: I didn't get my moose - must have spent to much time watching my
new toy instead looking out for the beast.

--
Andrew K.

Don't drink and internet!

JTJ

no leída,
1 nov 1998, 3:00:001/11/98
I just got back from a week in eastern WA with my GPS-II+ and I was
thoroughly impressed!!! Used with a compass, I felt that I couldn't have
gotten separated from the truck if I had to.

I kept the track going from the time we set out in the morning until we
wrapped up at night and was able to ID all the roads we drove, and then
when in the brush, it was a real comfort to know that there is a road
'right over there!'

I also played around a bit with the cross track function. I could see
the truck off in the distance, used the compass to pick the direction,
entered the direction and a swag for mileage and figured that if I kept
my cross track to a minimum, I'd have to stumble across the rig
eventually. It worked.

Remember, carry spare batteries!

JT

dbar...@synapse.net

no leída,
2 nov 1998, 3:00:002/11/98
Yes to the first question, Stan. I'm currently using a Garmin 12XL after
having started with a Garmin 75 several years ago. My guide, found at
http://www.synapse.net/~dbartlett/gpsutm.htm was written on the basis of my
hunting and fishing experience.

In article <363eeabf...@news.buffnet.net>,

stan...@buffnet.net wrote:
> If you are, what are you using? What does the real world recommend?
>
> Stan

A20driver

no leída,
2 nov 1998, 3:00:002/11/98
Know several hunters(deer)...All happy with Garmin 12...

Bruce McWatters

no leída,
2 nov 1998, 3:00:002/11/98
stan...@buffnet.net (Stanleyj) wrote:

>If you are, what are you using? What does the real world recommend?
>
>Stan

I've been using the eagle explorer for well over a year in
New Mexico mostly down in the Gila National Forest and I
haven't had a single complaint whether in the thick ponderosa
woods or even down in deep canyons. Although once I didn't get
a fix until I moved it about 6 inches and then all the satelites
were there. It has saved me several long walks back to the truck
or camp. IMHO it works extremely well.
Bruce...

Jon Jone

no leída,
2 nov 1998, 3:00:002/11/98
There are two valid reasons to hunt and kill animals

1. If the animal is to be used for food.

2. If the animal is trying to eat you and you are defending yourself.

Other than this, how can any normal person with feelings and morals derive
pleasure from killing harmless defenceless animals for sport.

Surely there are better things to use a GPS for.

Stanleyj <stan...@buffnet.net> wrote in article
<363eeabf...@news.buffnet.net>...

Dwight Pugh

no leída,
2 nov 1998, 3:00:002/11/98
Yes, I'm a hunting that uses Fugawi software, USGS DRG TOPO maps, with a
Garmin 12XL. I used the topo maps to setup my general search areas. Things
like saddles, ridges, funneling areas. I then print out the topo map with
waypoints noted. I then download the waypoints into my 12. I then use the
topo printout and GPS (watch out for SA) to scout. As a search the areas, if
I found new areas, I save the waypoint and later add it to my FUGAWI
waypoint list for that area. The SA prevents you from finding a specific
tree. I use the compass to zero in on a specific area from a distance. I
will also use waypoints that our directly in line but beyond the area I'm
looking for. This keeps SA from causing me all kinds of problems as I get
close to the destination.

PS: I have an external antenna that I Velcro to the hat and I keep my GPS
on all the time.

I hope this helps.

Stanleyj <stan...@buffnet.net> wrote in message
363eeabf...@news.buffnet.net...

Randy Hartley

no leída,
2 nov 1998, 3:00:002/11/98
What has your opinion about hunting have to do with the question asked?

Jon Jone wrote in message <01be064f$35029fa0$d2a06ccb@default>...

>There are two valid reasons to hunt and kill animals
>
>1. If the animal is to be used for food.
>
>2. If the animal is trying to eat you and you are defending yourself.
>
>Other than this, how can any normal person with feelings and morals derive
>pleasure from killing harmless defenceless animals for sport.
>
>Surely there are better things to use a GPS for.
>

>Stanleyj <stan...@buffnet.net> wrote in article
><363eeabf...@news.buffnet.net>...

Lawrence R Glickman

no leída,
2 nov 1998, 3:00:002/11/98
Actually, there is a _third_ valid reason.
It's called population control.
Letting animals proliferate unchecked can and does result in their
overgrazing and destruction of their food supply. Then, if population is
not controlled, they starve and succumb to disease. Since we have
eliminated many *natural* predators, humans now have to take their place
e.g. coyote / white tail deer ).
If hunters don't cull the herds, then dept of conservation personnel have to
( no revenue from that !)
my 3 cents.

flames welcome. I don't care. These are the facts like it or not.

--
Larry
lgli...@ameritech.net

Andrew Kalinowski

no leída,
2 nov 1998, 3:00:002/11/98
Just to keep things in a proper perspective; Are you a vegetarian or are you
a hypocrite?
Don't bother unswerving. Lets quickly bring Hitler out of the closet and
kill this branch of the tread - it doesn't belong in this NG, unless you
want to share with us what GPS's animal right activists use.

Andrew K.

Bum1518908

no leída,
2 nov 1998, 3:00:002/11/98
>ther than this, how can any normal person with feelings and morals derive
>pleasure from killing harmless defenceless animals for sport.

how about to keep the population down so deer and other animals don't cause
death and destruction on the highways? I know a person that hit four deer in a
three month period driving to work, she eventually had to undergo therapy to
deal with the fear of driving a car.

dan

don't go anywhere your gaurdian angel is not allowed to go.

remove "none" to reply email
x-no-archive: yes

Bob Fry

no leída,
2 nov 1998, 3:00:002/11/98
Another reason: to Celebrate Diversity. Isn't it wonderful that some
like to hunt, others don't...such wonderful Diversity! Let's
Celebrate it! That's the Liberal line, right?
--
Bob Fry r...@jps.net

Joe Mehaffey

no leída,
3 nov 1998, 3:00:003/11/98
a Bob Fry
Hi Bob,
Yes! And we are demonstrating that DIVERSITY (left unchecked) leads to
social unrest, discontent, and leads to a general unraveling of social
cohesiveness on which our "melting pot" country was based.

I am afraid we may become the BALKANS of the new world.

Diversity is only a good idea in the lunch menu.

Joe Mehaffey

--
For ANSWERS to a variety of your GPS RELATED QUESTIONS see:
http://joe.mehaffey.com

anon...@hotmail.com

no leída,
3 nov 1998, 3:00:003/11/98
the whole point of this country is not controlling DIVERSITY but
embracing it. you can say or be anything you want in theory, and as
long as you don't hurt anybody else or damage their property, so be
it. doesn't mean you get things to be the way you want unless that's
how most of us feel.

for all it's problems, that basic concept of that freedom contained in
the constitution has kept us on top of the heap for quite a while.
i hope i never live to see the day when we throw it away because some
subset of us decides we know better.
doesn't mean i like "how" things are...

please forgive the off topic post.

On Tue, 03 Nov 1998 04:25:38 GMT, Joe Mehaffey <j...@mehaffey.com>
wrote:

Soren Svensson

no leída,
3 nov 1998, 3:00:003/11/98
In article <363FAE58...@mehaffey.com>, j...@mehaffey.com says...

> anon...@hotmail.com wrote:
> >
> > the whole point of this country is not controlling DIVERSITY but
> > embracing it.
>
> I don't think we should CONTROL or EMBRACE diversity, but rather
> ELIMINATE social diversity. Social diversity CREATES SOCIAL UNREST and
> unhappiness in "whoever" thinks "his group" is being screwed. Notice

I'm sure this is flame bait, but I have to ask. Are you insane?

/Soren

Stanleyj

no leída,
4 nov 1998, 3:00:004/11/98
Thanks to all of you for your inputs. Based on your inputs,I will only
hunt for food, and I only make a kill if I'm being attacked, I
promise!

Stan

Joe Mehaffey

no leída,
4 nov 1998, 3:00:004/11/98
a anon...@hotmail.com
anon...@hotmail.com wrote:

> the whole point of this country is not controlling DIVERSITY but
> embracing it.

I don't think we should CONTROL or EMBRACE diversity, but rather
ELIMINATE social diversity. Social diversity CREATES SOCIAL UNREST and
unhappiness in "whoever" thinks "his group" is being screwed. Notice

how the French Canadians want to secede from the rest of Canada? If
they had been properly integrated into Canadian society, this would not
be happening! Same for the Balkans. Notice how great "diversity" has
been for them!

> You can say or be anything you want in theory, and as long as you

> don't hurt anybody else or damage their property, so be it.

Have you told any ethnic Jokes lately at the office? There was an
article about someone getting fired because he told a "Polack joke" and
someone was offended. We are now a society of thin skinned victims.

> doesn't mean you get things to be the way you want unless that's
> how most of us feel.

And THAT is FREEDOM???

> for all it's problems, that basic concept of that freedom contained in
> the constitution has kept us on top of the heap for quite a while.

Yes: It is too bad we are losing so many freedoms daily. I used to be
free to live a) without profanity on the TV/Radio, b) without fear of
getting fired for accidently insulting someone, c) without fear of
going to jail for disciplining my child, d) without fear that my
President could lie before a Federal Grand Jury without getting tossed
out, e) without fear of getting shot if I drove in downtown Atlanta at
night, f) without fear that I might be prevented from cultivating my
own land because somebody found it to be a "cricket habitat" or some
such silly notion. I could go on and on but I don't want to bore you.

> i hope i never live to see the day when we throw it away because some
> subset of us decides we know better.

I don't want to throw the US Constitution AWAY. I want us to go back to
its original intent!

Joe Mehaffey
(sorry for the off topic excursion, but you rang my bell that time!)

Joe Mehaffey

no leída,
4 nov 1998, 3:00:004/11/98
Probably. But I am happy at it.
Joe

Soren Svensson wrote:

> In article <363FAE58...@mehaffey.com>, j...@mehaffey.com says...

> > anon...@hotmail.com wrote:
> > >
> > > the whole point of this country is not controlling DIVERSITY but
> > > embracing it.
> >
> > I don't think we should CONTROL or EMBRACE diversity, but rather
> > ELIMINATE social diversity. Social diversity CREATES SOCIAL UNREST and
> > unhappiness in "whoever" thinks "his group" is being screwed. Notice

Joe Mehaffey

no leída,
4 nov 1998, 3:00:004/11/98
Hi Soren,
You are exactly right. I must be Insane. I don't want people to think
of themselves as Black, White, Indian, Poor, Rich, Moslem,
Protestant, Jew, Sexually Harassed, Gay, etc. I think identifying
and amplifying our differences like these is divisive and hurtful to the
country.

I have the Insane Idea that we would ALL be better off if we thought of
ourselves as AMERICANS! I think having "social and political
diversity" in the above sense is INSANE, so I must be also.

Joe

--

anon...@hotmail.com

no leída,
4 nov 1998, 3:00:004/11/98
On Wed, 04 Nov 1998 01:31:22 GMT, Joe Mehaffey <j...@mehaffey.com>
wrote:

>anon...@hotmail.com wrote:

>> the whole point of this country is not controlling DIVERSITY but
>> embracing it.
>
>I don't think we should CONTROL or EMBRACE diversity, but rather
>ELIMINATE social diversity. Social diversity CREATES SOCIAL UNREST and
>unhappiness in "whoever" thinks "his group" is being screwed. Notice

>how the French Canadians want to secede from the rest of Canada? If
>they had been properly integrated into Canadian society, this would not
>be happening! Same for the Balkans. Notice how great "diversity" has
>been for them!

Can you define "diversity" as you use it? I'd like to understand how
you intend the term.
I can readily think of several examples of a group feeling they were
"being screwed" when in fact they were. And IMHO, they had a right to
complain and do something about it within the social
fabric...demonstartions, court cases, strikes, ok...terrorist type
activities such as bombings etc, definitely not ok. The civiil rights
movement of the 60s is one example.

>> You can say or be anything you want in theory, and as long as you
>> don't hurt anybody else or damage their property, so be it.
>
>Have you told any ethnic Jokes lately at the office? There was an
>article about someone getting fired because he told a "Polack joke" and
>someone was offended. We are now a society of thin skinned victims.

I only tell ethnic jokes to people I know well, and who know me well.
Without knowing the full circumstances, I can't judge the firing. If
it was the "final straw" in a recurring pattern of racial insults, in
which the employee had been informed that some of his/her peers found
it offensive, then it was probably justified. If it was an isolated
incident or the result of the first complaint against the employee,
then IMO, it was wrong to fire the employee.

>> doesn't mean you get things to be the way you want unless that's
>> how most of us feel.
>And THAT is FREEDOM???

no that is democracy. The majority decide. Freedom means that we don't
make rules infringing an individual's personal rights to do what they
want in areas where the behavior doesn't affect other individuals
rights. Doesn't always work so well, but what we have is the closest
to that ideal I've seen.

>> for all it's problems, that basic concept of that freedom contained in
>> the constitution has kept us on top of the heap for quite a while.
>Yes: It is too bad we are losing so many freedoms daily. I used to be
>free to live a) without profanity on the TV/Radio, b) without fear of
>getting fired for accidently insulting someone, c) without fear of
>going to jail for disciplining my child, d) without fear that my
>President could lie before a Federal Grand Jury without getting tossed
>out, e) without fear of getting shot if I drove in downtown Atlanta at
>night, f) without fear that I might be prevented from cultivating my
>own land because somebody found it to be a "cricket habitat" or some
>such silly notion. I could go on and on but I don't want to bore you.
>> i hope i never live to see the day when we throw it away because some
>> subset of us decides we know better.
>I don't want to throw the US Constitution AWAY. I want us to go back to
>its original intent!
>
>Joe Mehaffey
>(sorry for the off topic excursion, but you rang my bell that time!)

My first post was because you rang mine although a large part of this
may be because I am "hearing" things you don't intend.
"Diversity" by my definition is a good thing. I'd use individualism as
a synonym for diversity and I like being able to be who I want to be,
think how I want to think and express those opinions in a lawful
manner. I like choices and accept that means giving the same freedom
to others who will make choices I don't like.
I'd like to take any other dialog on this to e mail to avoid abusing
the intent of the newsgroup. If anyone would like to join such a
discussion, send me an e mail and I'll include the addresses in
anything I send on this.
A reply to this via the newgroup by Joe, would IMHO, be only fair as
I have no right to post "publically" and ask that rebuttals/replies
not be "public".

Jon Jone

no leída,
4 nov 1998, 3:00:004/11/98
Yes, this would be a valid reason, if the hunters true motivation is to
preserve human life, I can't argue with it.

Bum1518908 <bum15...@aol.comnone> wrote in article
<19981102113557...@ng10.aol.com>...

Bob Bruneau

no leída,
4 nov 1998, 3:00:004/11/98
a Joe Mehaffey

Joe Mehaffey wrote:

> [snip]

> I don't want to throw the US Constitution AWAY. I want us to go back to
> its original intent!
>
> Joe Mehaffey
> (sorry for the off topic excursion, but you rang my bell that time!)

Bless you, Joe. That makes two of us. And much of the damage has been done
by activist judges who seem to think, somehow, that they're part of the
legislative branch.

Bob

John Davis

no leída,
4 nov 1998, 3:00:004/11/98
I use the Magellan 2000XL. It has worked very well for me, even in heavy
cover. I think you would be OK with just about anything that is 12 parallel
channel.

John

Stanleyj wrote in message <363eeabf...@news.buffnet.net>...

Jim Springer

no leída,
4 nov 1998, 3:00:004/11/98
What is your motivation when you step on a cock roach? I really dont think
it is any ones business but yours as long as it wasnt my cock roach.

>Yes, this would be a valid reason, if the hunters true motivation is to
>preserve human life, I can't argue with it.

>> >ther than this, how can any normal person with feelings and morals

derive
>> >pleasure from killing harmless defenceless animals for sport.
>>
>> how about to keep the population down so deer and other animals don't
cause
>> death and destruction on the highways? I know a person that hit four deer
in a
>> three month period driving to work, she eventually had to undergo therapy
>> deal with the fear of driving a car

x-no-archive: yes

Chuck Followers

no leída,
4 nov 1998, 3:00:004/11/98
I am definitely not to be described as any sort of activist, but surely
no one really believes that the "average" hunter stalks his prey for
either food or "concern" for over-population. This is really stretching
the bounds of honesty, in my opinion. The concern for overpopulation is
real, but the citing of it as a major reason that the "average" guy
enjoys hunting is absurd. I am a southerner, and hunting is in the air
down here. Heck, I just ate wild deer a few days ago. I was given my
first rifle at the age of nine. We hunt because it is available for us
to do so, it is exhilarating, sometimes challenging, sometimes just
target practice, but always fun to relive our primitive past by
"bringing down" the great beast, and feeding the tribe. The only thing
is that there aren't very many true beasts left, and our family is much
better provided for at the local grocer. I see no problem whatsoever
with humanely killing game in, otherwise, over-populated areas. But
let's not kid each other, fellows; we don't do it for the sake of the
animal, that's just an after-thought....or maybe just a rationalization.
Of course these are just my own opinions (goes without saying). I just
think that hunting is done in the pursuit of pleasure, rather than for
some noble cause, or to save some poor lady from thousands of dollars
worth of therapy bills. :-)

C.T.

Soren Svensson

no leída,
4 nov 1998, 3:00:004/11/98
In article <363FC13D...@mehaffey.com>, j...@mehaffey.com says...

> Hi Soren,
> You are exactly right. I must be Insane. I don't want people to think
> of themselves as Black, White, Indian, Poor, Rich, Moslem,
> Protestant, Jew, Sexually Harassed, Gay, etc. I think identifying
> and amplifying our differences like these is divisive and hurtful to the
> country.
>
> I have the Insane Idea that we would ALL be better off if we thought of
> ourselves as AMERICANS! I think having "social and political
> diversity" in the above sense is INSANE, so I must be also.

I agree with that part, but it's a very small slice of social diversity.
Do you also think everyone should drive the same car, wear the same
clothes, listen to the same music, etc, etc?

/Soren

Mike Gay

no leída,
4 nov 1998, 3:00:004/11/98
Great! Could you kindly fuck off to a more appropriate group!

Joe Mehaffey

no leída,
5 nov 1998, 3:00:005/11/98
See below.

No. And I never heard anyone suggest before that having the law STOP
RECOGNIZING "special classes of people" would ultimately result in us
all having to have the same cars, listen to the same music, etc. Now
who is dropping neurons? The big problem is: If we think of ourselves
as BLACK/WHITE, ASIAN, HISPANICS, etc., then we are not going to ever
become AMERICANS! We need to end the idea that amplifying and
glorifying our differences is the way to go. Just the opposite is true
if we want an integrated cohesive society with less strife. We all know
that if kids fail to learn good English (in the USA) then they *in all
liklihood will end up second class citizens. Therefore I have this
crazy idea that educating immigrant children in their "native" tongue is
contrary to their and the country's best interests.

This is *thankfully* my last comment on this topic.
Joe

Joe Mehaffey

no leída,
5 nov 1998, 3:00:005/11/98
Hi Mike,
You are quite welcome on this group, but there is no need for you to
use foul language here. All of us are quite able to understand your
comments if you use normal English.
Thanks
Joe Mehaffey

Tom Werry

no leída,
5 nov 1998, 3:00:005/11/98
Joe Mehaffey <j...@mehaffey.com> wrote:
>You are quite welcome on this group, but there is no need for you to
>use foul language here. All of us are quite able to understand your
>comments if you use normal English.
>>Mike Gay wrote:
>> Could you kindly fuck off to a more appropriate group!
Heh heh ! Kinda funny the way you repeated his use of foul language
in your post, Joe. Kinda evens the score.

Reminds me of the old school-marm railing at the students - "Now boys
- just because HE said it, you don't have to repeat it!".

I know you post a lot of stuff here as it seems to be your business,
Joe, but do you mind terribly please not to use "I" & "WE" & "ALL OF
US" as if you were the spokesperson for this newsgroup?

As an alternative, you could try to get this NG changed to a moderated
group, and get yourself appointed moderator.

I think enough here would agree that the occasional fuck would be
found not totally unappreciated.

(BTW, I agree with Mike - the guy can fuck off to a more appropriate
group!)

Regards,Tom Werry gpsnav at pacific dot net dot sg
Programmer's Logic: Press ENTER to exit. (laugh now, here)

Andrew Kalinowski

no leída,
5 nov 1998, 3:00:005/11/98
Fellows,

Positions discussed under this branch of the topic are greatly of the
course. We have gone into uncharted territory. If you kindly set your GPSs
to sci.geo.satellite-nav waypoint, you can still steer your way to calm
waters.
It may cool you down to know that Chicago Mapping announced joint venture
with 3COM. They are about to release a handheld "GPS Colour Pilot" with
portable CD-ROM interface and uploadable detailed, down to topographical and
street level maps of US and Canada and Europe and Australia / NZ in
international versions. Now, that's something to look forward to. Die
Garmin. Die Lowrance.

Andrew

MIKEOFWA

no leída,
5 nov 1998, 3:00:005/11/98
Tom Werry wrote:
snip...

>I think enough here would agree that the occasional fuck would be
>found not totally unappreciated.
...snip

I agree. It has been awhile.

Seriously. The guy that was told to fuck off, hereafter referred to as the
fuckoffee, was the third or fourth off topic post. I appreciated that off topic
post. So Mike Gay, hereafter referred to as the fuckoffor, was overreacting.
IMO. Who knows? Maybe Mike's dog died that morning and in fact he was
underreacting.

As far as Joe goes, well, consider this. Out of all the newsgroups I have ever
subscribed to this one is the most well mannered. Posts are well thought out
and polite. ususally. Occasionally a thread goes off topic. But hey, when that
happens I get a little insight into the another person who I already know a
little by our GPS association. I like that.

Take that Glickman guy for instance. I thought he was a raving lunatic at
first. Then, gradually, his posts revealed that under that gruff exterior was a
caring, considerate raving lunatic. HaHa. That was a joke Larry.

So be careful what you wish for. I think there is good balance on this ng and I
suspect Joe is a big part of that balance.

Just my two sense.
Mike Baum

Charles Gallo

no leída,
6 nov 1998, 3:00:006/11/98
Anon,
And did you every realize that we DON'T live in a Democracy
(We live in a Republic), and so many of the horrid things we do in
this country are in the name of "Democracy" - Have you ever heard the
phrase "The Tyranny of the Majority"?

Charlie

On Wed, 04 Nov 1998 07:31:54 GMT, anon...@hotmail.com wrote:

<snip>

>no that is democracy. The majority decide. Freedom means that we don't
>make rules infringing an individual's personal rights to do what they
>want in areas where the behavior doesn't affect other individuals
>rights. Doesn't always work so well, but what we have is the closest
>to that ideal I've seen.

<snip>

Chuck Followers

no leída,
6 nov 1998, 3:00:006/11/98
Gee, and I counted more than twenty seven posts on the topic, all prior
to mine. Yet it was mine alone that seemed to be singled out for your
obviously well-thought-out analysis. Pehaps the United Nations could use
your services. lol Perhaps my "particular" comment hurt your "wittle
feewings?"

I think the problem is that Mr. Gay's, rhetorical skills are probably so
lacking that he, like yourself, of necessity, resorts to such language.
I mean, when the argument isn't there to be made, just shout
profanities. lol No one asked you to read the posts. You clicked on them
of your own free will, the same way they were posted. I think you and
your buddy, Mr. Gay, would like to be the " moderators." Afterall, you
are the ones attempting to dictate what is "appropriate," and where. I
think you two can take your own suggestion....and....why not do it
together. BTW....Mr. Mehaffey can clearly handle himself, but just for
the record, he, most definitely, speaks for a great many of us here on
many topics. I doubt your support is nearly as strong.

C.T.

Sam Wormley

no leída,
6 nov 1998, 3:00:006/11/98
"Lawrence R Glickman" <lgli...@ameritech.net> wrote:

>This photo was taken just after one of my high-frequency rf experiments, so
>I normally look a "little" better than this.

Obviously the face of an alien from leonid. 8~}

Mike Gay

no leída,
7 nov 1998, 3:00:007/11/98
Thank you for correcting me so gently. My posting was inappropriate in
its language and I apologize for it.

What I meant to say was that this group does not exist, as I understand
it, for the discussion of hunting stories. These are not only totally
irrelevant but are also very offensive to some portion of the GPS-user
community, including me.

Joe Mehaffey wrote:

> Hi Mike,

> You are quite welcome on this group, but there is no need for you to
> use foul language here. All of us are quite able to understand your
> comments if you use normal English.

> Thanks
> Joe Mehaffey
>
> Mike Gay wrote:
> >

> > Great! Could you kindly fuck off to a more appropriate group!

phrea...@my-dejanews.com

no leída,
7 nov 1998, 3:00:007/11/98
Good news indeed! But is this vapor, or has a ship date been announced? I
agree, it's about time somebody slapped garmin, et al around a bit...

In article <71s52l$oe3$1...@whisper.globalserve.net>,

Mike Gay

no leída,
7 nov 1998, 3:00:007/11/98
No, the dog's OK. But life hasn't been easy for a boy named Gay, I'll tell you.

My posting was inappropriate and I regret it.

Andrew Kalinowski

no leída,
7 nov 1998, 3:00:007/11/98
The key words were "It may cool you down" Other than that , let's say I
forgot to include "I wish"

--
Andrew K.

Don't drink and internet!
phrea...@my-dejanews.com wrote in message
<721vhn$etc$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

Andrew Kalinowski

no leída,
7 nov 1998, 3:00:007/11/98
I, for one, think that it's a perfect group for discussing GPS use for
something else than finding the way to a corner store. If you go to the
beginning of the topic, it's exactly what was discussed here until an
untihunter decided to post off topic.
Now, where were we... ah Yep, I'm a hunter and I'm using GM100. One of the
good side of this unit is that it doesn't have any "sticking-out" parts. I
can see say a G12XL being handy in the same fashion, but with G3 I'd be
concerned that a lanyard from my duck call or moose call could catch on the
antenna and rip it off. Mind you, I don't have G3, so I'm only guessing
here.
Any comments (but please stick to the general topic which should be
discussed here)

Also, I would be very interested to here how GPS made your hunt more
interesting? enjoyable? successful?
Haw you found or didn't find your way to camp / scrape / kill / stand

--
Andrew K.

Don't drink and internet and don't piss in my beer!
Mike Gay wrote in message <3643E329...@nbnet.ns.ca>...

John Davis

no leída,
9 nov 1998, 3:00:009/11/98
Used my Magellan once to get me back to the truck after I was hopelessly
lost. Brought me within 15 yards. Have also used it to guide me to my
stand in darkness. One time I forgot my flashlight. I got to the area the
GPS said my stand was supposed to be, and couldn't see it. So, I waited for
the first hints of daylight, and behold, I was less than 30 feet from my
stand.

One thing that helps a lot in the woods is to read the bearing off the GPS
and FOLLOW that bearing off a compass as opposed to try to follow the GPS'
bearing. In the thick woods where I hunt, you are moving so slow, that
tracking a GPS bearing is very difficult.

John

Andrew Kalinowski wrote in message <7235rv$5cg$1...@whisper.globalserve.net>...

Bob Anderson

no leída,
9 nov 1998, 3:00:009/11/98

Mike Gay wrote:

> Great! Could you kindly fuck off to a more appropriate group!

Would you, Fuck, kindly fuck off to a more appropriate group!

Richard Blackburn

no leída,
9 nov 1998, 3:00:009/11/98
Roger,
Put me down as a hunter who is just beginning to use a GPS.
Two weeks ago on an elk hunt in Colorado Rockies, my Garmin 12XL
was critical to finding my way back to camp. I had gotten two
mtns away from camp, and was sitting in a valley late in the
afternoon waiting for the elk to wander down to water. I spotted
movement on a rocky spire and got out the binoculars to find out
that it was a bighorn sheep climbing right up the side of the
rock! Got so entraced that I sat there too long and the sun
began to set. I had marked the camp, so I took bearing and
distance readings from the GPS and started off. Periodically, I
would turn on the GPS and hold my compass over the lighted
display to check my bearing. Made me wonder why the GPS does not
have lighted compass built in? Once I got into the right valley,
the GPS was critical to navigating around streams & bogs and
getting into camp in a timely manner. Yes, I could have done
without it, but I know that it would have taken many more hours,
with lots of false headings into high rock, or bogs.
Now, I am beginning to wonder if 12XL was the best unit for my
needs. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Richard Blackburn
r...@ibm.net-home
NRA Life Member

P.S. "Thank you" to Joe, Jack, Karen N, & all of you on this
group for the great info and ideas which have helped me in the
selection of & use of my Garmin!

--
Richard T. Blackburn, Sr. Prog. Analyst

John J. Miller

no leída,
9 nov 1998, 3:00:009/11/98
In article <364744C7...@carey.cosd.fedex.com>, rtbl...@fedex.com wrote:
>Roger,
> Put me down as a hunter who is just beginning to use a GPS.
>Two weeks ago on an elk hunt in Colorado Rockies, my Garmin 12XL
>was critical to finding my way back to camp. I had gotten two
>mtns away from camp, and was sitting in a valley late in the
>afternoon waiting for the elk to wander down to water. I spotted
>movement on a rocky spire and got out the binoculars to find out
>that it was a bighorn sheep climbing right up the side of the
>rock! Got so entraced that I sat there too long and the sun
>began to set. I had marked the camp, so I took bearing and
>distance readings from the GPS and started off. Periodically, I
>would turn on the GPS and hold my compass over the lighted
>display to check my bearing. Made me wonder why the GPS does not
>have lighted compass built in? Once I got into the right valley,
>the GPS was critical to navigating around streams & bogs and
>getting into camp in a timely manner. Yes, I could have done
>without it, but I know that it would have taken many more hours,
>with lots of false headings into high rock, or bogs.
> Now, I am beginning to wonder if 12XL was the best unit for my
>needs. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Why wonder? It sounds like it worked perfectly. I take a 12XL, compass AND
an electronic altimeter with me in the field. Any of them (combined with a
topo) get me back to camp. The compass weighs little and doesn't require
batteries to operate. It sounds like you actually needed a lighter, glowstick
or flashlight.

John J. Miller
jo...@mcdata.com

John Jone

no leída,
9 nov 1998, 3:00:009/11/98
My original post was just my opinion and was to try and get discussion of
other uses for GPS going, and though many people say it was off topic, it
generated over 27 individual responses, that must indicate a willingness
of the users of this board to want to talk about it! 27 responses is more
than almost all other messages posted on this board? explain that?

I still think the best way to stop irrelevant posts is to ignore them
totally, that tway the perpetrator will just lose interest and go away!

By the way, I have posted several GPS specific questions in the past,
asking for relevant information, advice or just experience from other GPS
users, Not one of them was answered or acknowledged. Perhaps If I go to
the Hunters news group and post my GPS question there I'll have better
luck!.......

Bye all, and thanks for the responses, it has been interesting!

JJ

Jon Jone <ps1...@hotmail.com> wrote in article
<01be064f$35029fa0$d2a06ccb@default>...
> There are two valid reasons to hunt and kill animals
>
> 1. If the animal is to be used for food.
>
> 2. If the animal is trying to eat you and you are defending yourself.
>
> Other than this, how can any normal person with feelings and morals

derive
> pleasure from killing harmless defenceless animals for sport.
>

> Surely there are better things to use a GPS for.
>

> Stanleyj <stan...@buffnet.net> wrote in article

Justin

no leída,
9 nov 1998, 3:00:009/11/98

Jon Jone wrote:

> Surely there are better things to use a GPS for.

Like directing cruise missiles toward population centers?

Sorry to change subjects again.

John Fusek

no leída,
9 nov 1998, 3:00:009/11/98
Andrew,

Here is how I did this year
Using a GPS unit allowed me to have one of my most succesful
muzzleloading deer hunting seasons ever. The down side was that it
was also the shortest. I got a GPS because I was tired of dragging
out deer the long way. When one is blood trailing one's entire
attention is on the red drops. When the downed quarry is recovered
you generally know which way is out. However Murphy's law prevails
and you wind up dragging way further than you should.

This year I got a Magellan 2000XL 12 channel. I had Precision
Mapping Streets 3.0 and topo maps of our hunting land. The weather
has been hot and extremely dry in Virginia and most water sources
have dried out. Driving around at night I saw where the deer were
feeding. On the topo maps I located the main streams that still had
water in them. I was able to find the shortest routes through cover
from food to water. My scouting than was limited to this area.
When I found sign I knew I was in the right area. So I set up a
couple of makeshift blinds. I set waypoints on the blinds and
places I could park my truck.

All this work paid off. Forty five minutes into the season I put a
54 caliber lead ball through both lungs of a large six point buck.
After being hit it ran over 200 yards into very thick cover. Using
the GPS and a map printed out from Precision Mapping I was able to
get out to a logging road nearby after I gutted it. Then I had a
quick walk to my truck which I drove back to pick it up. It was
almost too easy. But there were hours and hours of range time
keeping my eye in. Time plotting routes and driving around to see
where the deer are. This way I was able to make good use of my
limited scouting time only having to take one day of vacation for
this task leaving more time to be out in the woods and hopefully
shoot more deer.

John Fusek
uls...@visi.net

NRA life, NMLRA, VMLRA, VSSA, LGC, SHHC, IBHA, VDHA and HaRoSFA
"Life is too short to wait for subsonic projectiles"

Robert S. White

no leída,
10 nov 1998, 3:00:0010/11/98
In article <364770AF...@micron.net>, pe...@micron.net says...

>Jon Jone wrote:
>
>> Surely there are better things to use a GPS for.
>
>Like directing cruise missiles toward population centers?

No....a _particular_ building in a population center. Guess
what type of people work in _that_ building.

Robert S. White -- An embedded systems software engineer
e-mail reply to reverse of ( add .'s ): net mcleodusa shift2 r white
or do a "Reply To All" for direct eMailed cc'd followups.

Bud Kuenzli

no leída,
10 nov 1998, 3:00:0010/11/98

snip

> Now, I am beginning to wonder if 12XL was the best unit for my
> needs. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I think the 12xl is a near perfect machine in todays technology. I have
a 48 simply because the antenna has never been a problem (I had a 45 too)
and its ability to swivel gets me an occasional better signal lock in
marginal conditions. I use mine often and here in Alaska we get way, way
out into wilderness where things get pretty serious quickly. I want every
bit of help I can get and I have seen times when my 48 could lock but a
12xl had trouble. In spite of that when people ask for my recommendation I
recommend the 12xl because I think it is the best all round GPS. The 4.x
firmware is important though, becuase it ads a great deal of battery life.

--
For all return mail remove the yyy from my address.

Andrew Kalinowski

no leída,
10 nov 1998, 3:00:0010/11/98
WELL DONE!!!

Textbook perfect, real life GPS applications. They are all good stories.I'm
getting ready to come clear and describe haw GPS convinced me that my nav.
skills were (are) not as good as I tought they were... but its no easy to
admit to ones shortcomings...
In any case, you guys are making me hungry for more adventures with GPS!
Hope, somebody will start a treads with "any sailors..", "any pilots... "
"any green-peace..." and so on, so we could give everybody a chance to read
only "non offending me activity " treads...

Andrew K.

MIKEOFWA

no leída,
10 nov 1998, 3:00:0010/11/98
Well done yourself Andrew. I, too, enjoyed the hunting experiences. In addition
to the applications you've suggested I would like to hear about hang-gliding,
regular gliding and wind surfing. Did you catch that post about a Grizzly named
Garmin? That was great.

Andrew Kalinowski wrote:

Mike Baum

Bud Kuenzli

no leída,
10 nov 1998, 3:00:0010/11/98
In article <729pe8$f4j$1...@whisper.globalserve.net>, "Andrew Kalinowski"
<l...@globalserve.net> wrote:

> WELL DONE!!!
>
> Textbook perfect, real life GPS applications. They are all good stories.I'm
> getting ready to come clear and describe haw GPS convinced me that my nav.
> skills were (are) not as good as I tought they were... but its no easy to
> admit to ones shortcomings...
> In any case, you guys are making me hungry for more adventures with GPS!
> Hope, somebody will start a treads with "any sailors..", "any pilots... "
> "any green-peace..." and so on, so we could give everybody a chance to read
> only "non offending me activity " treads...
>
> Andrew K.

My brother in law piloted us through Lake Clark Pass in Alaska in his
single engine plane. Very very nasty, with several wrecks on the slopes
and up blind glacial passes. I programmed our GPS before we left to
navigate use through the S shaped pass. At one point my brother in law,
having studied the topo's, wanted to go straight. The GPS said go left,
but there was no apparent opening to the left. He asked me what the route
was. I was navigating. I said go left. He said it looked like the pass
continued straight. I told him he had less than 10 seconds to turn left.
He asked me if I was sure. I said yes. He immediately turned left and the
pass was immediately apparent. The false pass in front of us turned out to
gain altitude faster than a small plane can. Once you enter it you cannot
get out. There is no question in my mind that had we not had a GPS we
would have made the exact same mistake that has killed others. That was
just one time when my GPS saved my life or made my world a WHOLE lot
better.

Andrew Kalinowski

no leída,
11 nov 1998, 3:00:0011/11/98
OK time to come out of the closet. It's not really a "hunting with GPS"
story, but I rather post it here, for the hope that the easily offended are
not reading this tread and I will not be flamed (to much).

Few years back (four?) I was with friend on a sailboat in the North Channel.
A storm came over. Depth sounder crapped out. Visibility instantly went down
to few yards, very few... All we had was Eagle GPS and boats compass. We had
to run for shelter. The problem was that to get to the only one which was
close by, we had to navigate VERY narrow passage between underwater rocks.
To make the story short, thanks to GPS we made it in time, but thanks to SA
there was extensive damage to the boat. Back then, none of us realised
limitations SA puts on GPS. Now I'm smarter (?) I do know that what we did
was stupid. Oh, and my friends equipped the boat (yes it did get repaired)
with DGPS.

Andrew

PS
I find it rather amusing that same of the best GPS stories are told under
such controversial topic.

Dave Martindale

no leída,
15 nov 1998, 3:00:0015/11/98
ble...@oz.net (Ben Lewis) writes:
>Does anyone have experiences with external antennas in the woods?
>Obviously, the external antennas can't help in valleys because the
>satellites are masked. Trees just attenuate the signals. Would you
>hand-hold the antenna, or put in on the end of a pole, etc, etc?

Put a piece of magnetic material in the top of your hat - a big washer, or
something like that. Stick the antenna (with its magnetic base) to the
outside of the hat. Voila - good position for the antenna to see
satellites, and now you can stuff the GPS in any pocket without worrying
about whether it can see the sky.

And yes, an active antenna does improve reception under forest cover.
There are still situations where you can't get a fix, but it helps.

Dave

Ben Lewis

no leída,
16 nov 1998, 3:00:0016/11/98
A GPS would really work nice in Colorado! I scouted the state for
hunting one time. Nice open and beautiful country.

I used my 12xl while elk hunting this fall in Idaho. While I was in
the open (few trees) and up on hills, it worked well. However, in the
forested areas and in valleys, the signals were blocked, too weak or
too few to get a 3D fix. (2D fixes cause circuitous hikes! ;-(. I
always carry a good compass, electronic altimeter and topo maps
(pre-marked with UTM grids!)

I considered buying an external powered antenna and was advised by the
REI salesman (who uses GPS gear while hiking and climbing) that it
wouldn't improve performance much. The external antenna's primary
purpose is to place an antenna outside a building, auto boat, etc. I
have read a couple of articles on the 'net where folks had tested the
external antenna in the woods and had favorable results. I just hate
to spend the $100 and be disappointed.

Does anyone have experiences with external antennas in the woods?
Obviously, the external antennas can't help in valleys because the
satellites are masked. Trees just attenuate the signals. Would you
hand-hold the antenna, or put in on the end of a pole, etc, etc?

On Mon, 09 Nov 1998 12:38:48 -0700, Richard Blackburn
<rb17...@carey.cosd.fedex.com> wrotf:

>Roger,
> Put me down as a hunter who is just beginning to use a GPS.
>Two weeks ago on an elk hunt in Colorado Rockies, my Garmin 12XL
>was critical to finding my way back to camp. I had gotten two
>mtns away from camp, and was sitting in a valley late in the
>afternoon waiting for the elk to wander down to water. I spotted
>movement on a rocky spire and got out the binoculars to find out
>that it was a bighorn sheep climbing right up the side of the
>rock! Got so entraced that I sat there too long and the sun
>began to set. I had marked the camp, so I took bearing and
>distance readings from the GPS and started off. Periodically, I
>would turn on the GPS and hold my compass over the lighted
>display to check my bearing. Made me wonder why the GPS does not
>have lighted compass built in? Once I got into the right valley,
>the GPS was critical to navigating around streams & bogs and
>getting into camp in a timely manner. Yes, I could have done
>without it, but I know that it would have taken many more hours,
>with lots of false headings into high rock, or bogs.

> Now, I am beginning to wonder if 12XL was the best unit for my
>needs. Any feedback would be appreciated.
>

>Richard Blackburn
>r...@ibm.net-home
>NRA Life Member
>
>P.S. "Thank you" to Joe, Jack, Karen N, & all of you on this
>group for the great info and ideas which have helped me in the
>selection of & use of my Garmin!
>

>rclement wrote:
>>
>> Hi Stan
>> Im using a Garmin 12XL4.02 Ver. & Eagle Map Guide PRO Ver.1.2.They both
>> work well for me and the type of hunting I do. With the 12XL I use Waypoint+
>> & OziExplore with scanned in topo maps that I did. The MGPro I use the
>> program that came with it and OziExplore in fact I just download my
>> wapoints & tracks from both to files of a deer hunt I went on this last week
>> just got home 3 hours ago. the Garmin III seems to be the big thing on this
>> news group I see some GM100s I tried to get one but couldn"t find anyone
>> that had them so I got the Eagle MG Pro it doesn"t have Ext. Ant the GM100
>> does used it in heavy pines and oaks never had a problem even got locks
>> inside camp house.
>>
>> Roger

>> Stanleyj wrote in message <363eeabf...@news.buffnet.net>...

Bum1518908

no leída,
16 nov 1998, 3:00:0016/11/98
i thought of that the first time i walked with my garmin III, how much could it
cost? Garmin??

>Periodically, I
>>would turn on the GPS and hold my compass over the lighted
>>display to check my bearing. Made me wonder why the GPS does not
>>have lighted compass built in?

dan

don't go anywhere your gaurdian angel is not allowed to go.

remove "none" to reply email
x-no-archive: yes

Carsten Kurz

no leída,
16 nov 1998, 3:00:0016/11/98
a Bud Kuenzli
> get out. There is no question in my mind that had we not had a GPS we
> would have made the exact same mistake that has killed others. That was
> just one time when my GPS saved my life or made my world a WHOLE lot
> better.

You may stay with your opinion, but I'd say that youre chances where
just 50/50 at best.

GPS as a navigation aid for pilots is okay as long as now your way
anyway or have a good idea where to go without a risk.

To rely on it the way you just described it is certainly wrong, wrong,
wrong.

--
Carsten Kurz
TOMA MULTIVISION

MIKEOFWA

no leída,
16 nov 1998, 3:00:0016/11/98
I disagree, Carsten. He would have made the flight even without the GPS. If I
only use my GPS for flights when I'm familiar with the area then I would have
to leave it at home when I travel new areas. Or not use it when the going gets
a little sticky. That just doesn't make sense.

Mike Baum

Ben Lewis

no leída,
16 nov 1998, 3:00:0016/11/98
Thanks for the tip. I think I will probably get an antenna. I had
been researching brands and types, but hadn't made up my mind. Will
have to did out all the articles again.

Novel idea.... the metal washer!!!! That's the best idea I've
heard yet! I will have to stitch washers into the tops of all my
hunting hats,

I didn't want to be burdened by a stick or pole while carrying a
rifle. The REI sales person said he clipped his antenna to the top of
his pack. I didn't care for that idea because I am always taking the
pack off to get to something. I already carry a cow-call, a compass
and binoculars around my neck. Now will add the antenna cable to the
region. Sometimes, I nearly garrote myself getting the pack straps
undone! ;-)

Ben

On 15 Nov 1998 23:02:51 -0800, da...@groucho.cs.ubc.ca (Dave
Martindale) wrotf:

Carsten Kurz

no leída,
18 nov 1998, 3:00:0018/11/98
MIKEOFWA schrieb:

> I disagree, Carsten. He would have made the flight even without the GPS. If I
> only use my GPS for flights when I'm familiar with the area then I would have
> to leave it at home when I travel new areas. Or not use it when the going gets
> a little sticky. That just doesn't make sense.

Well, as long as you're flying around yourself and your family, it's up
to your responsibility.

But ask a commercial passenger pilot if he would rely on a GPS receiver
only. He'd probably do if there would be absolutely no other decision
aid in a critical situation (which is not very likely to happen). But he
certainly wouldn't lift off knowing that he would have to rely on the
GPS unit.

Ciao -

Charlie Sorsby

no leída,
18 nov 1998, 3:00:0018/11/98
In article <01be064f$35029fa0$d2a06ccb@default>,
=
= 1. If the animal is to be used for food.
=
= 2. If the animal is trying to eat you and you are defending yourself.
=
= Other than this, how can any normal person with feelings and morals derive
= pleasure from killing harmless defenceless animals for sport.

Since you feel that way, don't hunt.

Nevertheless, hunting is a perfectly legal (albeit regulated) activity.
And so, it is extremely presumptuous of you to question others right
to participate in a legal activity. And, as others have posted, unless
you are a vegetarian, it also smacks of hypocrisy.

= Surely there are better things to use a GPS for.

How about if I don't complain about what you do with your GPS and
you don't complain about what I do with mine?

--
Best regards,

Charlie "Older than dirt" Sorsby Wheeling, WV "I'm the NRA!"
c...@hgo.net www.hgo.net/~crs USA Life Member since 1965

Carsten Kurz

no leída,
20 nov 1998, 3:00:0020/11/98
a c...@hgo.net
> Nevertheless, hunting is a perfectly legal (albeit regulated) activity.
> And so, it is extremely presumptuous of you to question others right
> to participate in a legal activity. And, as others have posted, unless
> you are a vegetarian, it also smacks of hypocrisy.

It all comes down to the question wether it's his right of free speech
to say his opinion towards hunting, or if it's 'to question' other's
legal rights.

It depends a lot on the style in which you're saying it, I guess.

Again, a language problem.

J Rice

no leída,
23 nov 1998, 3:00:0023/11/98
I've hunted for many years and have never met anyone who kills for "sport." The
hunters with whom I'm familiar eat what they kill. Has a more honest ring and
seems closer to the natural way of things than paying someone else to kill and
butcher animals for sale in grocery stores so people don't have to think about
or see where their food derives. Not surprisingly, hunters also value wild,
"green" places over the concrete shopping malls where Jon "hunts" for his food.
Everything we eat was once alive.

I carry an Eagle Explorer and have found it useful to retrace a route through
new terrain by taking waypoint readings at key locations then entering those
coordinates as markers on Maptech CD topos. Also nice to block out a new area
of terrain with markers placed ahead of time on a map print-out ...listing
markers also lists their coordinates, allowing
the option of locating those designated marker locations from a paper map.

GPSs can conk out...general bearings, hard copy maps and a compass don't weigh
nearly as much!

J. Rice, MD

Charlie Sorsby wrote:

> In article <01be064f$35029fa0$d2a06ccb@default>,
> Jon Jone <ps1...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> = There are two valid reasons to hunt and kill animals
> =
> = 1. If the animal is to be used for food.
> =
> = 2. If the animal is trying to eat you and you are defending yourself.
> =
> = Other than this, how can any normal person with feelings and morals derive
> = pleasure from killing harmless defenceless animals for sport.
>
> Since you feel that way, don't hunt.
>

> Nevertheless, hunting is a perfectly legal (albeit regulated) activity.
> And so, it is extremely presumptuous of you to question others right
> to participate in a legal activity. And, as others have posted, unless
> you are a vegetarian, it also smacks of hypocrisy.

0 mensajes nuevos