Best GPS/map software combo for Europe travel

Seth Wilson

Jan 19, 2003, 10:47:36 PM1/19/03
Dear Newsgroup,

I currently own a Garmin eTrex (the low-end $100 variety) and am
fairly happy with it. But I'm anticipating doing some travel in
Europe in years to come, and I want to get a GPS with mapping
capabilities. I have read and heard good things about both the Garmin
eTrex Vista and the Magellan Meridian. The Magellan sounds a little
bit better, but one of my major deciding factors will be the quality
of the maps for Europe.

Can anyone recommend the best GPS for me? Thanks.

Anders Persson

Jan 20, 2003, 4:01:39 AM1/20/03
mad...@ballistic.com (Seth Wilson) wrote in message news:<d605ab53.03011...@posting.google.com>...

> The Magellan sounds a little
> bit better, but one of my major deciding factors will be the quality
> of the maps for Europe.
>
> Can anyone recommend the best GPS for me? Thanks.

The Vista is best when it comes to small size. Other units are better
when it comes to larger display and/or larger (and more sensitive)
antenna. The Garmin 76S and Magellan Meridian are examples of the
latter.
If you plan on travelling by car, the Garmin GPS V is the only one
with autorouting, in that size.

I've been in Sweden, Denmark, Germany, France, Switzerland, Spain and
the UK with my Vista and MetroGuide Europe. While the coverage varies
between different countries, the maps have been very good in the areas
where I've been. They are of course not always accurate, but no map is
that, as soon as it's a few days old.

Anders

Terje Mathisen

Jan 20, 2003, 10:06:02 AM1/20/03
Anders Persson wrote:
> mad...@ballistic.com (Seth Wilson) wrote in message news:<d605ab53.03011...@posting.google.com>...
>
>>The Magellan sounds a little
>>bit better, but one of my major deciding factors will be the quality
>>of the maps for Europe.
>>
>>Can anyone recommend the best GPS for me? Thanks.
>

> The Vista is best when it comes to small size. Other units are better
> when it comes to larger display and/or larger (and more sensitive)
> antenna. The Garmin 76S and Magellan Meridian are examples of the
> latter.
> If you plan on travelling by car, the Garmin GPS V is the only one
> with autorouting, in that size.

I'd look closely at the upcoming Garmin iQue 3600 with auto adapter, I
know that I'm planning to get one when visiting the US in April.

It seems to have most of all the good stuff (large memory, fairly large
color screen, standard memory cards, and the auto adapter include a
speaker for routing directions.

Terje

--
- <Terje.M...@hda.hydro.com>