What's the trick to get OSMAnd+ to consistently display the NAME of the next turn (street name)?

mark

Oct 9, 2022, 7:19:45 PM10/9/22
What's the trick to get OSMAnd+ to consistently display the NAME of the
next turn (street name)?

OSMAnd+ consistently speaks the next-turn street name (turn right onto Main
Street in 3.5 miles, for example) but it doesn't consistently DISPLAY that
next-turn street name (it will display a highway exit number though).

OSMAnd+ displays the direction of the next turn (left or right elbow icon,
for example), and the distance to that next turn (3.5 miles, for example),
but I can't find how to set up OSM to consistently display the NAME of the
street at that next turn ("Main Street" for example).

Frequently OSMAnd+ _does_ display the EXIT NUMBER (25 for example) when I'm
on the highway, so it's clear from the speaking and that exit display that
OSMAnd+ knows the name of the next turn and OSMAnd+ "can" display that
name.

But what's the trick to get the street name always displayed of the next
turn in OSMAnd+?

My settings for "Settings,Configure screen,Globe,Right panel" are
Intermediate destination = on
Intermediate arrival time = on
Destination = on
Arrival time = on
Everything else is off

My settings for "Settings,Configure screen,Globe,Left panel" are
Compass = on
(there's nothing else to set)

My settings for "Settings,Configure screen,Globe,Remaining elements" are
(all are off)

My settings for "Settings,Configure screen,Globe,Map markers" are
(all are off)

The same "Right panel" settings for the "Auto" icon next to the "Globe" are
Quick action = off
Intermediate destination = on
Intermediate arrival time = on
Destination = on
Arrival time = on
Everything else is off

The "Auto" icon "Left panel" settings are
Compass = on
Next turn = on
Next turn (small) = on
Second next turn = on

The "Auto" icon "Remaining elements" settings are
*Street name = on*
Everything else is off

The "Auto" icon "Map markers" settings are
Transparent widgets = off
Lanes = on

Given the "Left panel" "Street name" setting is set to on for the vehicle
navigation icon, why do I only get the next-turn exit numbers and not the
next-turn street name?

While OSMAnd+ 4.1.11 consistently says the next-turn street name, what
settings do I have to set in OSMAnd+ to get the next turn street names to
be displayed in text?

Bernd Rose

Oct 10, 2022, 1:05:00 PM10/10/22
On Sun, 9th Oct 2022 23:19:40 -0000 (UTC), mark wrote:

> What's the trick to get OSMAnd+ to consistently display the NAME of the
> next turn (street name)?

Displayed texts and voice-over content of OSMAnd are part of an ongoing
optimization. Sometimes, a feature gets added. Afterwards, people notice
that this feature causes major problems in some situations. Displaying
street names aside the turn navigator may be one of this cases. It sounds
to be a good idea. But some street names are /very/ long.

AFAICT, the current state of development is, to display only very short
information (like exit numbers) but no longer one. There is a (still open)
feature request, to get the (much longer) spoken turn-navigation info
repeated by clicking on the next-turn symbol:

https://github.com/osmandapp/Osmand/issues/7618

But maybe I'm wrong and there /is/ a setting to show street names. It
would at least be a very important feature for the hearing-impaired...

Bernd

mark

Oct 10, 2022, 10:59:07 PM10/10/22
Bernd Rose <b.rose...@arcor.de> wrote:

> AFAICT, the current state of development is, to display only very short
> information (like exit numbers) but no longer one.

Thank you for confirming that my observation is what you had expected,
which is if the next turn "name" is very short (for example, an exit
number), then it definitely shows up but almost all the time the next turn
is a street name, which doesn't show up even when the option for "street
names" is turned on.

> There is a (still open)
> feature request, to get the (much longer) spoken turn-navigation info
> repeated by clicking on the next-turn symbol:
> https://github.com/osmandapp/Osmand/issues/7618

It's very useful to get that spoken information repeated, where, by way of
comparison, Google has the "OK Google what is my next turn" verbal option.

> But maybe I'm wrong and there /is/ a setting to show street names.

I can't find it if it exists.
My version is OSMAnd+ 4.1.11.

> It would at least be a very important feature for the hearing-impaired...

Everyone is "hearing impaired" to asynchronous events while driving.

More specifically, everyone in an automobile is "hearing impaired" so to
speak given conversations are happening, there are distractions galore, the
air conditioning fans are running, sometimes you're on the phone, sometimes
you have the radio on, often you just forget what the next turn was since
it's spoken at a time you're not necessarily prepared for it.

This fact that everyone who drives is "hearing impaired" is especially
acute because the spoken turn directions with the street name almost always
happens when you aren't expecting it (since you're "doing a lot of stuff"
while you're driving).

It's unrealistic to expect the driver to be listening only to what the
phone navigation is speaking at all times while driving. It's like someone
mentioning something to you while you are doing something else.

That's why a "repeat" option is super critical for any navigation app.

Zitelli

Oct 10, 2022, 11:11:52 PM10/10/22
Bernd Rose wrote at Mon, 10 Oct 2022 19:04:57 +0200 :

> Displayed texts and voice-over content of OSMAnd are part of an ongoing
> optimization.

Is this that display next street name feature requested?

Display the both current and next street names during navigation #8323
https://github.com/osmandapp/Osmand/issues/8323

This OSMAnd nav-widget help implies the next street name is displayed.
"Street name widget shows current street name with straight location arrow
or /next street name/ with the maneuver has to be completed."
https://osmand.net/docs/user/widgets/nav-widgets/

The strange thing is OSMAnd doesn't seem to have any problem displaying the
current street name so why couldn't it display instead the next street name
(depending on a user preference)?