"The human race" "will become extinct", Professor Stephen Hawking has warned.

TKeating

Aug 10, 2010, 10:35:07 PM8/10/10
Stephen Hawking: mankind must move to outer space within a century
The human race must look to outer space within the next century or it
will become extinct, Professor Stephen Hawking has warned.

By Richard Alleyne, Science Correspondent
Published: 6:06PM BST 09 Aug 2010

Stephen Hawking believes the future of mankind lies away from Earth
Photo: PA The renowned astrophysicist said he fears mankind is in
great danger and its future "must be in space" if it is to survive.

In an interview he said threats to the existence of the human race
such as war, resource depletion and overpopulation meant it was at its
greater risk ever.

Although a long advocate of colonising space in order to continue
man's reign, this is his direst warning to date.

"It will be difficult enough to avoid disaster in the next hundred
years, let alone the next thousand or million," he told the website
Big Think.

"Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain inward looking
on planet Earth but to spread out into space.

"We have made remarkable progress in the last hundred years. But if we
want to continue beyond the next hundred years, our future is in
space.

"That is why I'm in favour of manned, or should I say 'personed',
space flight."

Earlier this year Professor Hawking warned that exploring space may
not be entirely without risk.

In a series for the Discovery Channel, he said humans should be wary
about making contact with alien life forms as they may not be
friendly.

But he said as long as we remained the only intelligent life in our
galaxy and avoided destroying ourselves we should be safe.

"I see great dangers for the human race," Hawking said. "There have
been a number of times in the past when its survival has been a
question of touch and go. The Cuban missile crisis in 1963 was one of
these. The frequency of such occasions is likely to increase in the
future."

"But I'm an optimist. If we can avoid disaster for the next two
centuries, our species should be safe, as we spread into space," he
said.

Getting to another planet will prove a challenge, not to mention
colonising it for humanity.

Katherine Freese, a University of Michigan astrophysicist, told Big
Think that "the nearest star [to Earth] is Proxima Centauri which is
4.2 light years away.

That means that, if you were travelling at the speed of light the
whole time, it would take 4.2 years to get there" – or about 50,000
years using current rocket science.

$27 TRILLION to pay for Kyoto

Aug 10, 2010, 10:54:53 PM8/10/10
While I respect Hawking and his intellect more than any of the hack
environmentalists who spout GWT, I wonder if such pessimism isn't in-
part due to his physical condition and the mental toll it must take?

Major Debacle

Aug 10, 2010, 11:02:18 PM8/10/10
TKeating wrote:
> Stephen Hawking: mankind must move to outer space within a century
> The human race must look to outer space within the next century or it
> will become extinct, Professor Stephen Hawking has warned.

Stephen Hawking is flipping nuts

When the earth dies we will go somewhere else, but we sure as hell won't
get their in a spaceship

--
Beer... so much more than a breakfast drink

Catoni

Aug 10, 2010, 11:15:19 PM8/10/10
On Aug 10, 11:02 pm, Major Debacle <Major_Deba...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

Well if there is anything to Quantum Mechanics and endless multiple
universes..... then we will continue to exist... and not exist...
depending on which universe you are referring to.

Apparently, each instant... there are countless universes
splitting off from ours..... each one going into a slightly different
future,, and countless universes splitting off each of those universes
every instant.....endless.... eternal... mindboggling....

In some of these other universes... some of us died as children,
( or we were even aborted)... in this one we may get killed in a car
accident or murdered or die of disease.or live to an old age,, ... in
other universes we live to a ripe old age and die in bed....

In some of the universes we weren't even conceived.
in another universe the whole of animal life, including us, perhaps
got wiped out by a huge asteroid impact twenty years ago.... endless
possibilities...

it's mind boggling...

Catoni

Aug 10, 2010, 11:19:33 PM8/10/10
On Aug 10, 11:02 pm, Major Debacle <Major_Deba...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

Off topic.... but in some universes... you would have become a wealthy
person... in other universes you are a homeless pennyless person
living on the streets... ... in some universes... life never even got
a foothold on this planet at all........

gordo

Aug 10, 2010, 11:20:05 PM8/10/10
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 03:02:18 +0000 (UTC), Major Debacle
<Major_...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>TKeating wrote:
>> Stephen Hawking: mankind must move to outer space within a century
>> The human race must look to outer space within the next century or it
>> will become extinct, Professor Stephen Hawking has warned.
>

>Stephen Hawking is flipping nuts
>
>When the earth dies we will go somewhere else, but we sure as hell won't
>get their in a spaceship

We agree.Thats a change

gordo

Aug 10, 2010, 11:24:12 PM8/10/10

He is not a climatologist and neither are you.It is not
environmentalists telling us what is happening to the worlds climate
but scientists in their field.Maybe he understands science and you
don't.

Xan Du

Aug 10, 2010, 11:24:51 PM8/10/10

And in some universes, AGW is real. Just not this one.

(couldn't resist)

-Xan

Bret Cahill

Aug 10, 2010, 11:35:24 PM8/10/10

It may be easier to get rightards to think,

Naaaaa.

Bret Cahill

Major Debacle

Aug 10, 2010, 11:38:47 PM8/10/10

I totally agree

Most minds can't handle this amount of boggling and still remain open

--
Beer... so much more than a breakfast drink

Major Debacle

Aug 10, 2010, 11:40:58 PM8/10/10

And the fun part is, since there is no beginning and no end, we have
experienced all of the infinite possibilities and will continue do so

f. barnes

Aug 11, 2010, 2:32:53 AM8/11/10
On Aug 10, 10:02 pm, Major Debacle <Major_Deba...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

> TKeating wrote:
> > Stephen Hawking: mankind must move to outer space within a century
> > The human race must look to outer space within the next century or it
> > will become extinct, Professor Stephen Hawking has warned.
>
> Stephen Hawking is flipping nuts
>
> When the earth dies we will go somewhere else, but we sure as hell won't
> get their in a spaceship

Why not? Who knows when a breakthrough will come along, or how much
can be accomplished over time with incremental improvements in
technology. In the late forties ICBMs were considered impossible, it
could never happen. It was believed that such a vehicle would need so
much fuel that it would collapse under its own weight.

So all we can say about mankind leaving Earth in sufficient numbers to
establish a viable colony somewhere else is that it probably couldn't
be done now.

Catoni

Aug 11, 2010, 2:39:12 AM8/11/10
On Aug 10, 11:40 pm, Major Debacle <Major_Deba...@invalid.invalid>
> Beer... so much more than a breakfast drink- Hide quoted text -

Yes...... interesting... we get to die all the different ways.
esperience all the pleasures and heartaches... and suicide doesnt'
solve anything in the longe run... because we just pop up in another
universe and believe the gun didn;t go off.... (It went off.. you died
and just popped immediately into a universe where it malfunctioned.)
or you get reborn as a baby... ..... and perhaps be doomed to repeat
it all...
They say all possibilities will be realized somewhere....
somewhen.... even a universe where the physics laws are
different....
Perhaps even a Middle-Earth universe... where fantasy worlds
exist....

Weird.... but possible if some of these latest theories are
true...

"Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger
than we can imagine."
- Sir Arthur Eddington
English astronomer (1882 - 1944)

Now I wonder.... a connection with Deja Vu? ?

Catoni

Aug 11, 2010, 2:46:43 AM8/11/10
Major Debacle posted:

> And the fun part is, since there is no beginning and no end, we have
> experienced all of the infinite possibilities and will continue do so
> --

> Beer... so much more than a breakfast drink- Hide quoted text -

Yes...... interesting... we get to die all the different ways.

experience all the pleasures and heartaches... and suicide doesn't

solve anything in the longe run... because we just pop up in another
universe and believe the gun didn't go off.... (It went off.. you
died

and just popped up immediately in a universe where you believe it

malfunctioned.)
or you get reborn as a baby... ..... and perhaps be doomed to repeat
it all...
They say all possibilities will be realized somewhere....
somewhen.... even a universe where the physics laws are
different....
Perhaps even a Middle-Earth universe... where fantasy worlds
exist....

Weird.... but possible if some of these latest theories are
true...

Hmmm the Large Hadron Collider... I wonder what things we will
learn....

Or perhaps learn from the next even larger collider down the road
somewhere.

"Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger
than we can imagine."
- Sir Arthur Eddington
English astronomer (1882 - 1944)

Now I wonder.... a connection between Deja Vu and Quantum
Mechanics ? ?

T. Keating

Aug 11, 2010, 3:55:25 AM8/11/10
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 19:35:07 -0700 (PDT), TKeating
<TKea...@hushmail.com> wrote:

>Stephen Hawking: mankind must move to outer space within a century
>The human race must look to outer space within the next century or it
>will become extinct, Professor Stephen Hawking has warned.
>
>By Richard Alleyne, Science Correspondent
>Published: 6:06PM BST 09 Aug 2010

snipppy...

To the Criminal FF/drug addicted ID troll, posing as Mr. Keating..

Learn to properly cite and quote articles without copy and pasting
them in their entirety!

For instance.. you left out the URL..
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/7935505/Stephen-Hawking-mankind-must-move-to-outer-space-within-a-century.html

Website terms and conditions
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/about-us/3692012/Terms-and-Conditions.html

"5. Intellectual Property

We are the owner or the licensee of all intellectual property rights
in the Site the Content and the Trade Marks. Subject to these Terms,
we grant you a limited, temporary, revocable, and non-exclusive
licence to access, browse and use the Site (including the Content and
Trade Marks) in accordance with paragraph 6 below. "

"6. Access and use of the Site

You may use the Site for personal non-commercial use only. You may
only download and print extracts of the Content for your own personal
non-commercial use.

You may not:

(2) reproduce, republish, modify, archive, distribute, store, archive
or commercially exploit the Content without our prior written consent;
nor

... "

Giga2

Aug 11, 2010, 5:59:48 AM8/11/10

He is right IMO, but not because of GW. We have all our eggs in one
basket, even a constantly manned/womaned moonbase or mars base (or
better both, with genetic/seed banks and copies of wikipedia etc)
would be a big improvement in human long term survival as a species
(not to mention all the other species we could take along). The whole
universe may be devoid of life AFAWK, but it could become full of it
one day because of us. We are the vehicle by which life can go
intersteller perhaps.

*us*

Aug 11, 2010, 7:50:01 AM8/11/10
If humans can't survive on earth they can't survive anywhere else.

tunderbar

Aug 11, 2010, 9:45:37 AM8/11/10

Theoretically, eventually, the odds are that every species on the
planet will one day be extinct, replaced by other species. Eventually.

Just like 100 years from now, everyone you know will be dead.

tunderbar

Aug 11, 2010, 9:55:25 AM8/11/10
On Aug 10, 9:54 pm, "$27 TRILLION to pay for Kyoto"

He has become a hack environmentalist. Goes to show that even some of
the most celebrated intellectuals can be wrong in areas that they
aren't fully informed and educated, And scientists tend to want to
believe other scientists, even believing climate "scientists". Hawking
et al. can't seem to wrap they prodigious brains around the concept
that an entire field of science is corrupt and ideologically motivated.

Last Post

Aug 11, 2010, 10:00:37 AM8/11/10
Who is Professor Stephen Hawking

Dawlish

Aug 11, 2010, 10:28:30 AM8/11/10

Well, your brains could fit in his wheelchair joystick knob, so you'd
know, wouldn't you? What gives you any right to criticise someone as
important as this to physics? You pathetic little stupid. as for the
nutter who posted above this, title's changed back.

Ringer

Aug 11, 2010, 12:22:00 PM8/11/10

"Last Post" <last...@primus.ca> wrote in message

> Who is Professor Stephen Hawking
You're kidding, right?

Trawley Trash

Aug 11, 2010, 9:09:11 AM8/11/10
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 19:35:07 -0700 (PDT)
TKeating <TKea...@hushmail.com> wrote:

> That means that, if you were travelling at the speed of light the
> whole time, it would take 4.2 years to get there" – or about 50,000
> years using current rocket science.

Not really.

Relativistic time dilation is important here. If you were traveling
at the speed of light, you would arrive instantaneously. When you
came home (again at the speed of light) you would find that 100000
years had elapsed here on earth. It is like time travel.

More realistic would be to start at zero velocity relative to the
earth and accelerate at 1 or 2 earth gravities until you were halfway
there. Then decelerate until arrival. It takes decades, but a
young person could get there and back in his lifetime. Of course
all your friends would be dead, but then so would your enemies.
Another way to achieve this effect is by going into a coma and
hibernating for a few decades.

The situation with interstellar travel is not that
much different from the situation of Marco Polo and other early
explorers. Carl Sagan wrote some wonderful stuff about interstellar
travel a few decades back. It seems like that was only yesterday.

Hmmm...

Trawley Trash

Aug 11, 2010, 3:30:44 PM8/11/10
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 06:09:11 -0700
Trawley Trash <tr...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 19:35:07 -0700 (PDT)
> TKeating <TKea...@hushmail.com> wrote:
>
> > That means that, if you were travelling at the speed of light the
> > whole time, it would take 4.2 years to get there" – or about 50,000
> > years using current rocket science.

> Hmmm...

Looks like I tripped on an oxymoron. You can't get there using
current technology. Sagan imagined a kind of interstellar
ramjet that would be fueled with interstellar hydrogen, but
that will be a long time coming. Even longer if AGW hysteria
pushes us into another dark age.

deepdudu

Aug 11, 2010, 7:41:37 PM8/11/10
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 11:22:00 -0500, "Ringer" <byo...@peoplestel.net>
wrote:

No, he's a moron.

deepdudu

Aug 11, 2010, 7:41:21 PM8/11/10
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 07:00:37 -0700 (PDT), Last Post
<last...@primus.ca> wrote:

>Who is Professor Stephen Hawking

BWWWWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAAAAAA!!!!!!

Fucking retarded wingers. He's only one of the world's greatest
theoretical astrophysicists that every lived.

Bet you don't know what Albert Einstein is famous for, either, do you?

Last Post

Aug 11, 2010, 8:06:33 PM8/11/10
On Aug 11, 12:22 pm, "Ringer" <byo...@peoplestel.net> wrote:
> "Last Post" <last_p...@primus.ca> wrote in message

> news:e344b931-9097-4f76...@j8g2000yqd.googlegroups.com...> Who is Professor Stephen Hawking
>
> You're kidding, right?

ø Just trying to get a few of you jokers to think
instead of rubber stamping bullshit. It seems
I failed.

ø Hawking is a good ole boy from Cambridge.
Prolific writer but nothing that would rock the
boat. He has nothing serious to say about
climate It is not his field.

Last Post

Aug 11, 2010, 8:10:26 PM8/11/10
On Aug 11, 7:41 pm, Deep Dudu wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 11:22:00 -0500, "Ringer" <byo...@peoplestel.net>
> wrote:
>

> >"Last Post" <last_p...@primus.ca> wrote in message

> >> Who is Professor Stephen Hawking
> >You're kidding, right?
>
> No, he's a moron.

•• Those who would call others, "moron"
need only look in a mirror to see a real one.

lorad

Aug 11, 2010, 8:13:02 PM8/11/10
On Aug 10, 10:54 pm, "$27 TRILLION to pay for Kyoto"

<rander3...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  While I respect Hawking and his intellect more than any of the hack
> environmentalists who spout GWT, I wonder if such pessimism isn't in-
> part due to his physical condition and the mental toll it must take?

No, it isn't.

lorad

Aug 11, 2010, 8:13:53 PM8/11/10
wrote:
> TKeating wrote:
> > Stephen Hawking: mankind must move to outer space within a century
> > The human race must look to outer space within the next century or it
> > will become extinct, Professor Stephen Hawking has warned.
>
> Stephen Hawking is flipping nuts
>
> When the earth dies we will go somewhere else, but we sure as hell won't
> get their in a spaceship

You'll get there in your dress. Right?

lorad

Aug 11, 2010, 8:15:51 PM8/11/10

Tell that to the 1/3 withered russian wheat crop, eh, xanthephyl?

lorad

Aug 11, 2010, 8:18:35 PM8/11/10

I think the folks up there might have a different take on your
uh..world view.

lorad

Aug 11, 2010, 8:20:24 PM8/11/10

Thank GOP and the neocons that the extinction pace has been
accelerated; their own looms that much closer.

lorad

Aug 11, 2010, 8:20:56 PM8/11/10
On Aug 11, 10:00 am, Last Post <last_p...@primus.ca> wrote:
> Who is Professor Stephen Hawking

Someone that your momma used to date?

lorad

Aug 11, 2010, 8:22:29 PM8/11/10

???
Update yourself.
SCRAM technology is already operational.

lorad

Aug 11, 2010, 8:23:14 PM8/11/10
On Aug 11, 7:41 pm, Deep Dudu wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 07:00:37 -0700 (PDT), Last Post
>
> <last_p...@primus.ca> wrote:
> >Who is Professor Stephen Hawking
>
> BWWWWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAAAAAA!!!!!!
>
> Fucking retarded wingers.  He's only one of the world's greatest
> theoretical astrophysicists that every lived.
>
> Bet you don't know what Albert Einstein is famous for, either, do you?

Don't ask.. he'd probably say 'bagels'.

deepdudu

Aug 11, 2010, 8:45:11 PM8/11/10
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 17:10:26 -0700 (PDT), Last Post
<last...@primus.ca> wrote:

>On Aug 11, 7:41=A0pm, Deep Dudu wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 11:22:00 -0500, "Ringer" <byo...@peoplestel.net>
>> wrote:
>>

>> >"Last Post" <last_p...@primus.ca> wrote in message
>> >You're kidding, right?
>>
>> No, he's a moron.
>

>=95=95 Those who would call others, "moron"

>need only look in a mirror to see a real one.

Clever. For a 12 year old.

James

Aug 11, 2010, 9:36:21 PM8/11/10
"Dawlish" <pjg...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

His physics was not challenged. His environmentalism was. Also, his
state of mind. He was talking about space aliens last spring.

Speedbump

Aug 11, 2010, 10:13:38 PM8/11/10

You are fucking full of shit

Xan Du

Aug 11, 2010, 10:34:24 PM8/11/10
<flipping through the book of stock responses ... yes here it is>

Tell it to those Dust Bowl farmers, eh nonads?

-Xan