Paper-bag ban passed by New Jersey legislature would be first in nation

Leroy N. Soetoro

Sep 26, 2020, 3:17:10 PM9/26/20
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/paper-bag-ban-passed-new-jersey-
legislature-would-be-first-n1241088

The New Jersey Legislature on Thursday passed a sweeping bill that would
make the state the first in the country to ban single-use paper bags at
supermarkets.

The bill, which would also prohibit single-use plastic bags and limit the
use of polystyrene takeout boxes and in some cases plastic straws, now
heads to Gov. Phil Murphy.

The governor's office could not immediately be reached for comment Friday.
But his spokesman, Mahen Gunaratna, told The New York Times that Murphy
supports the legislation.

"The governor is proud to support the strongest bag ban in the nation,”
the spokesman said. “This bill will significantly reduce the harm that
these products cause to our environment.”

Environmentalists in the state praised the legislation as an important
measure to help curb pollution from plastic, paper, and polystyrene.

“New Jersey Assembly voted to pass the strongest single-use ban on
plastics in the country to prioritize our wildlife and our communities
over endless plastic waste polluting our waterways,” Doug O’Malley, the
director of Environment New Jersey, said in a statement.

New Jersey Virus Fatalities Top 8,200 As Hospitalizations Drop

Eight other states have passed bans on the use of single-use plastic bags
in supermarkets, including New Jersey neighbor, New York state, according
to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

Some of these states have temporarily eased their bans amid the pandemic
due to concerns over the possible transmission of coronavirus through
reusable bags.

New Jersey’s bill would ban single-use plastic and paper bags at
supermarkets

It would also prohibit any business that sells or provides food for
consumption on or off their premises from providing polystyrene takeout
containers or foam cups that hold more than two ounces of liquid, and
requires that plastic straws be given to customers only upon request.

Murphy in 2018 vetoed a bill that would have added a 5-cent fee on single-
use plastic carryout bags.

"I cannot support this bill," Murphy said in a statement at the time.
"While well intentioned, the approach reflected in this bill strikes me as
incomplete and insufficient."

Republican lawmakers opposed the bill, saying it would harm small
businesses already hurt by the pandemic.

“This bill impacts manufacturing plants in New Jersey and New Jersey jobs
during this terrible economic and pandemic time,” said Dennis Hart, the
executive director of the Chemistry Council, which represents plastics
manufacturers.

truck.

of the Obama presidency.

queer liberal democrat donors.

President Trump has boosted the economy, reduced illegal immigration,
appointed dozens of judges and created jobs.

Senile loser and NAMBLA supporter Nancy Pelosi got "Trumped" on February
5, 2020. "President Trump, Not Guilty."

Byker

Sep 26, 2020, 7:22:07 PM9/26/20
"Leroy N. Soetoro" wrote in message

> https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/paper-bag-ban-passed-new-jersey-legislature-would-be-first-n1241088
>
> The New Jersey Legislature on Thursday passed a sweeping bill that would
> make the state the first in the country to ban single-use paper bags at
> supermarkets.

It'll last about as long as it has in other states: Six months to a year,
TOPS...

Byker

Sep 27, 2020, 4:02:32 PM9/27/20
"JTEM is Remarkably Flexible" wrote in message

Byker wrote:

>> It'll last about as long as it has in other states: Six months to a year,
>> TOPS...
>
> They banned reusable bags here.

There's a "Natural Grocers" store in my neighborhood that doesn't use bags,
paper or plastic. You're expected to BUY a re-usable bag with the store's
logo on it. Along comes the Kung Flu. Suddenly the re-usable bags are gone,
to be replaced by stacks of cardboard boxes that their produce arrived in.
One day I showed up with one of their re-usable bags. Oh, they filled it up,
but they were NOT happy campers.

https://www.naturalgrocers.com/

They'll gladly hand you a cardboard box to put your purchases in, which is
somewhat awkward to carry when you're on foot. That's why I bring along a
competitor's ("Homeland") reusable bag for them to fill whenever I visit.
Their reaction? No words, just icy stares...

William Davis

May 31, 2022, 3:48:29 AM5/31/22
I think it's rather convenient to use single-use bags and cups if they are made from safe materials. I use these cups https://mcdonaldpaper.com/paper-hot-cups-lids in my catering business, and think it's alright to use eco-friendly cups and bags, it's cheap, and don't pollute the environment.