What are 800 Series Phosphors?

aruzinsky

Apr 30, 2015, 7:45:22 PM4/30/15
I see fluorescent bulbs being advertised with "800 Series Phosphors" but I can't find a definition.

Jeff Waymouth

May 1, 2015, 6:45:07 AM5/1/15
"800 Series" means the nominal CRI of that color temperature (indicated
by the 2 numbers following the 8 in the designation) is greater than 79
but generally less than 90.

Jeff Waymouth

dil...@general-cathexis.com

May 1, 2015, 12:02:49 PM5/1/15
Thank you. But, what is the point of advertising that information in addition to the exact CRI of the bulb?

Jeff Waymouth

May 2, 2015, 8:33:16 AM5/2/15
It gives the customer a description of the quality of the light output.
Both the color temperature (warmth/coolness) and the CRI can be
factors used in choosing which lamp to buy.

Jeff Waymouth

aruzinsky

May 2, 2015, 10:43:13 AM5/2/15
Sorry, maybe, you didn't understand my question, so I will rephrase it.

For example, see

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-281568-Lumens-Series-Phosphors/dp/B0092PBNDC

where the product description concisely says "CRI:82." Do you understand that CRI = 82 is more informative than 79 < CRI < 90 ? Now, what is the purpose of providing the redundant and vague information, 79 < CRI < 90 , contained in "800 Series Phosphors" when "CRI:82" is also advertised? The key words here are "redundant" and "vague."

joe438

May 2, 2015, 3:00:20 PM5/2/15
CRI=82, is the nominal (tipically average) value
This does not mean that if you buy a fluorescent it will have a CRI = 82, but at least you can be sure that it will lie within the range provided

aruzinsky

May 3, 2015, 4:09:51 PM5/3/15
On Saturday, May 2, 2015 at 2:00:20 PM UTC-5, joe438 wrote:
> CRI=82, is the nominal (tipically average) value
> This does not mean that if you buy a fluorescent it will have a CRI = 82, but at least you can be sure that it will lie within the range provided

Is that the time or population "average"?

An implication of the statements of Waymouth and yourself, is that the phrase, "800 Series Phosphors," has nothing to do with any particular set of chemical phosphors and therefore any fluorescent bulb with any set of chemical phosphors that results in 79<CRI<90 can be advertised as "800 Series Phosphors." Is that correct? And, furthermore, since the phrase, "800 Series Phosphors," has nothing to do with phosphors (period), one can also advertise incandescent bulbs as "800 Series Phosphors" because 79<CRI<90. Correct?