Desperately seeking LED globes for chandeliers.

Peter Jason

Nov 28, 2018, 9:20:55 PM11/28/18
For the chandeliers to sparkle each light has to
have a small and bright point of light, such as
halogens have.
Can the LED luminaires do this?

Andrew Gabriel

Nov 29, 2018, 6:27:21 AM11/29/18
In article <84juvdp6jk1quktor...@4ax.com>,
I presume you are referring to a cut glass droplet style
chandelier here where the light emerges through the droplets.

One of the problems for LED lighting in many cases is the sources
are tiny and painfully bright, requiring diffusers (which are
lossy and drop efficiency). However, in this case, the small
sources are an advantage, so look for lamps which don't have a
diffuser. Styles which come to mind are the clear LED filament
lamps, and the lamps with a single LED in the base, and a clear
plastic light guide to emit the light in multiple directions.

The general principle of such cut glass droplet chandeliers is
that the droplets refract the light like prisms and you see the
components of the white light in the form of individual spectral
colours glisten from the droplets. The higher the refractive
index (more expensive the glass), the more pronounced the effect
of spectral splitting of the light (with the inference that
diamond droplets would give the most pronounced affect of all,
being the highest refractive index).

It seems to me that LEDs could cheat here and use separate RGB
(and more) coloured LEDs to generate the white light from slightly
spaced apart sources, which would really enhance the appearence
though cut glass droplets, but I haven't seen any lamp products
designed to exploit this.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Peter Jason

Nov 29, 2018, 7:25:57 PM11/29/18
On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 11:27:21 -0000 (UTC),
and...@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
Thanks, I have halogens in all my chandeliers and
they work OK. But a 20-globe chandelier uses a
lot of power and warms up the room, so I look
forward to the LED globes in the future. In the
meantime I'll try the best available LEDs. These
are appearing in different configurations all the
time.

Peter Jason

Dec 3, 2018, 8:29:13 PM12/3/18
On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 11:27:21 -0000 (UTC),
and...@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:

I have put in one of these
https://www.lampsandlights.com/images/big_bulb-candle-led-filament-bc-lit-ven.jpg
and the chandelier glitters as usual.
This might be the way to go.

je...@panix.com

Dec 14, 2018, 11:07:47 PM12/14/18
>> For the chandeliers to sparkle each light has to
>> have a small and bright point of light ...
>> Can the LED luminaires do this?

I have LED retrofits
where the LED emitter is in the base
and a prism diffuses it.
A clear glass/cover makes it sparkle just like a halogen.
Edison, medium or chandelier socket.

My google-fu is lacking: I cannot find the Ikea model.
I've seen Sylvania sets in the ShopRite supermarket.

The led 'fake filament' lamp is very popular,
taking more and more shelf space at LoewsDepot
so that might squeeze out other styles :-/

Artis Sideley

Jun 7, 2019, 3:55:36 AM6/7/19
Well, in France, led bulbs with GU9 sockets are small enough, and they are sold widely. However, I doubt their durability because if the small size of the integrated voltage transformer circuit board.

je...@panix.com

Jul 2, 2019, 7:37:58 PM7/2/19
> For the chandeliers to sparkle
> each light has to have a small and bright point of light,
> such as halogens have.
> Can the LED luminaires do this?

It depends on the LED device.

Here in the USA, "LED filament" lamps are dominating the shelf-space
of the "big box" stores (Lowe's, Home Depot, Walmart).
Walmart has some on clearance for as low as 75 cents (USD).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED_filament

What you want is the type with a single LED emitter
(or small cluster) under a prism,
with CLEAR GLASS so it is not diffused:

https://www.1000bulbs.com/category/led-chandelier-bulbs-40w-equal/