Chemetron

Vrstull

Aug 1, 2001, 9:32:05 PM8/1/01
I've been looking for a tig welder for some time and a local repair shop has
one that is being put into shape. Haven't even seen it yet but I was told it
was made by Chemetron, a name that is unfamiliar to me, though I'll be the
first to admit I only know the more popular welding names. It was described as
"older," so who knows what condition it's in. But in general, can anyone tell
me anything about the company's reputation for quality and durability?
Second question is related. Same shop said they can sell me new the Miller 180
tig machine for about $1,300. That's the best price I've found so far. Sound
too good to be true or is that about right?
TIA
Vic

Ernie Leimkuhler

Aug 2, 2001, 12:00:48 AM8/2/01
In article <20010801213205...@ng-cr1.aol.com>,
vrs...@aol.com (Vrstull) wrote:

It seems that Chemetron used to make MIG and TIG welders, but they have now
moved to specializing in Railroad repair equipment.

It is likely that the machines with their name on them were in fact made by
Lincoln, Hobart or Miller.

If it isn't a rebranded machine, getting parts could be difficult.
I think the deal on the new Miller Syncro 180 is a much better bet.

"Time, heat and pressure.
The same things that make a diamond also make a waffle."
~Scott Meyer

John Pickett

Aug 2, 2001, 7:53:21 AM8/2/01
vrs...@aol.com (Vrstull) wrote in message news:<20010801213205...@ng-cr1.aol.com>...

Most of the Chemetron Tig welders were Miller 330 ABP's
Pretty good welders but the rectifier stack can be a problem...

John

Paul Baechler

Aug 2, 2001, 2:54:03 PM8/2/01
In article <stagesmith-16526...@news.mindspring.com>, Ernie
Leimkuhler <stage...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>It seems that Chemetron used to make MIG and TIG welders, but they have now
>moved to specializing in Railroad repair equipment.
>
>It is likely that the machines with their name on them were in fact made by
>Lincoln, Hobart or Miller.
>
>If it isn't a rebranded machine, getting parts could be difficult.
>I think the deal on the new Miller Syncro 180 is a much better bet.

Chemetron was a mini-conglomerate, developed out of National Cylinder Gas
and eventually sold to (IIRC) Alleghany Steel, which went bankrupt.
Chemetron sold electric welders under its own name, it also absorbed the
welder division of P&H and sold those welders marked with P&H and
Chemetron names. In the bankruptcy, the gas apparatus, the medical
wquipment, and some of the chemical divisions survived, either as
independents or taken by other companies. The electric welders didn't
survive.

--
Paul Baechler
pbae...@bellsouth.net