Sulphur pit level measurement

Raj Sreenevasan

Dec 11, 2003, 4:54:22 PM12/11/03
Hi all,
I am looking to install a level measuring device in a sulphur blowdown pit.
Steam is introduced into the pit and an agitator keeps the sulphur molten
(viscous liquid??). In the past (earlier design) Monsanto used a bubbler
level instrument to measure sulphur level in the pit.

Are there more modern (meaning non-contact) instruments available these
days? Any known references? Leads and pointers are welcome.
Thanks,
Raj

Cameron Dorrough

Dec 11, 2003, 8:56:50 PM12/11/03
"Raj Sreenevasan" <Raj_Sre...@bigpond.com> wrote in message

Raj, I can't see why either radar or high-frequency ultrasonic wouldn't
work. The Hawk 'Rangemaster' (www.hawklevel.com) datasheets claim their
20kHz transducers work with high-temperature slurries (hey, sulphur is not
exactly a clean liquid ;-) so I'd give them a try first.

You might like to post your question to www.iica.org.au/forum (if you
haven't already ;-).. some of the guys there might have a better idea.

Cameron:-)

Curtis

Dec 11, 2003, 10:09:17 PM12/11/03
Use a bubbler! In our sulfur pits in our Sulfur Plant we use a steam
jacketed piece of 1/2" tubing and it works excellent. Basically there
is a 1 1/2" pipe (if I remember right) with a piece of tubing welded
to it at the bottom and goes back up to the top of the flange as the
steam return. The bubbler tubing goes throught the pipe and stubs out
the bottom about 3/4". I can send you a drawing if you're interested.
We also installed some Magnetrol guided wave radar transmitters which
do fairly well, but don't do as well as the bubblers. The odd time
the rods bridge and we get a bit of a funky measurement. Over a
month, when trended together the bubbler is definitely a more precise
measurement. Especially at the peaks and valleys where of the level.
Another good thing about bubblers is that you can do a mass
measurement with them if your sulfur density changes much. I'm not
sure if it would but it's the bubbler would compensate where the radar
doesn't. Throw a smart DP transmitter on a bubbler and I don't think
you could beat it. We just use instrument air in it. Of course, you
have to make sure you have adequate holes in your stilling well for
the bubbler air to escape from. And they have to be large enough so
they don't plug off. As for non-contact radar measurement I'm not
sure. I know for fact they wouldn't work in our pits because the
sulfur vapor would condense on them and they would be forever being
coated with solid sulfur. If that's not an issue where in your
application (it probably would be though) I'd give Ohmart Vega a call.
We had a bunch of E&H non contact radar and ripped them all out and
put the Vega's in. They are a lot more versatile when it comes to
nulling out noise and false reflections. Hope this helps.

Curtis

Cameron Dorrough

Dec 11, 2003, 10:18:37 PM12/11/03
"Curtis" <cur...@telusplanet.net> wrote in message

> Use a bubbler! In our sulfur pits in our Sulfur Plant we use a steam
> jacketed piece of 1/2" tubing and it works excellent. Basically there
> is a 1 1/2" pipe (if I remember right) with a piece of tubing welded
> to it at the bottom and goes back up to the top of the flange as the
> steam return. The bubbler tubing goes throught the pipe and stubs out
> the bottom about 3/4". I can send you a drawing if you're interested.

I would be! Is there any way you can put something on the web somewhere and
post a link to it here?? :-)

Thanks,
Cameron:-)

Walter Driedger

Dec 11, 2003, 10:48:29 PM12/11/03
Viscosity of sulphur is extremely weird. As temperature rises it goes down.
Then it rises abruptly to an extreme value and then goes down slowly again.
If temperature is too low, viscosity is too high. If temp is too high,
viscosity is also very high. Temperature control is critical. That's why
steam heat is a good fit.

Walter.

Curtis

Dec 13, 2003, 11:53:16 AM12/13/03
I'll see what I can do for getting a sketch. It will have to wait
until Monday because it's at work right now. I may just have to email
it to anyone interested.

Curtis

Dec 17, 2003, 9:51:32 PM12/17/03
Hey all,

I did up a drawing and I have some pictures of that bubbler if anyone
cares. Cameron, is that a fake email?? If so you have mine, so send
me something, and I'll send you everything I sent Raj. Sorry, I don't
have any place to post it right now on the web.

Curtis

PuNx

Feb 17, 2004, 10:05:05 PM2/17/04

Yes, I would like to see a copy of your drawing and installation detail. Just email it to
the above address

Grant Edwards

Feb 17, 2004, 10:12:17 PM2/17/04

Back when I worked for Rosemount, we used to sell radar level
measurement instruments into applications like that. One
problem to watch out for would be stuff building up on the
antenna. You can shoot through a quartz or glass window in the
top of tank if the ullage space is really nasty. IIRC that
product line is now sold by Saab or somebody else.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! If this is the DATING
at GAME I want to know your

Raj Sreenevasan

Feb 19, 2004, 6:42:56 AM2/19/04
Grant,
Will you be able to tell me some successful installations of these radar
devices? Monsanto & Lurgi (two process licensors for Sulphuric acid plants)
insist on installing bubbler level instruments for this particular
application.
Thanks,
Raj

"Grant Edwards" <gra...@visi.com> wrote in message

Grant Edwards

Feb 19, 2004, 10:22:07 AM2/19/04
On 2004-02-19, Raj Sreenevasan <Raj_Sre...@bigpond.com> wrote:

> Will you be able to tell me some successful installations of
> these radar devices? Monsanto & Lurgi (two process licensors
> for Sulphuric acid plants) insist on installing bubbler level
> instruments for this particular application.

Afraid not. It's been 5 years since I worked for Rosemount and
can't cite any particulars from memory. I remember a number of
installations where a quartz window was installed in the top of
the tank and the radar mounted above that to prevent build up
of materials on the radar antenna. That installation method
was used for high-temp applications where the liquid was too
hot/corrosive or vapors would condense and harden on the
antenna.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! .. does your DRESSING
at ROOM have enough ASPARAGUS?

PuNx

Feb 20, 2004, 9:49:02 PM2/20/04

That's because it is the only measurement that has proven to work

--

PuNx

"Raj Sreenevasan" <Raj_Sre...@bigpond.com> wrote in message

Dvance

Jan 18, 2018, 10:18:06 AM1/18/18
replying to Curtis, Dvance wrote:
Please send dva...@processsupplies.com

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/control/sulphur-pit-level-measurement-8516-.htm

yanni

Apr 10, 2022, 11:18:05 PM4/10/22
replying to Curtis, yanni wrote:
could you please send for us , the drawing of bubbler tube with steam jacket
as you describe