Positive psychology

Treon Verdery

Oct 15, 2022, 8:11:53 AM10/15/22
This group is a safe space to write and say good things about yourself!

Reading about positive psychology on wikipedia and then writing a few sentences, or a few paragraphs on how each of several aspects may bring you some immediate happiness, capability, social well being and even some fun an optional purpose added purpose at your life. It is is fun and puts a person in a good mood.

Just write a couple sentences to go with each topic area, and you can do this while we meet. There is no hurry. If you like you can read my sample responses.

You can also work on it later and send me your responses via email. I will read and actually spend some qulity time thinking about what you say. You have an audience!

Wikipedia Content:

Martin Seligman referred to "the good life" as "using your signature strengths every day to produce authentic happiness and abundant gratification"

It is OK to admit you have value and that you are good at some things, doing those things optimistically, each day, with an eye to the future is suggested by positive psychology researchers:
Positive emotions are concerned with being content with one's past, being happy in the present and having hope for the future. Positive individual traits focus on one's strengths and virtues.

Fill out a few lines about what you think, if you like, write from the knowledge that you are a wonderful person with value, plans, preferences, an optimistic eye to the future and even loves:

Carol Ryff's Six-factor Model of Psychological Well-being was initially published in 1989, and additional testing of its factors was published in 1995.
It postulates six factors which are key for well-being, namely self-acceptance, personal growth, purpose in life, environmental mastery, autonomy, and positive relations with others

Write about the ways you feel the things in Ryff’s six factor model. Or write about ideas you have about enjoying growing more of these things your life. It is optional but you can read my sample version:

Self acceptance:

Personal growth:

Purpose in Life:

Environmental Mastery:

Autonomy:

Positive relations with others:

More about positive psychology the researched science:

Pleasant life: research into the Pleasant Life, or the "life of enjoyment", examines how people optimally experience, forecast, and savor the positive feelings and emotions that are part of normal and healthy living (e.g., relationships, hobbies, interests, entertainment, etc.)

Good Life: investigation of the beneficial effects of immersion, absorption, and flow, felt by individuals when optimally engaged with their primary activities, is the study of the Good Life, or the "life of engagement". Flow is experienced when there is a positive match between a person's strength and their current task, i.e., when one feels confident of accomplishing a chosen or assigned task.

Meaningful Life: inquiry into the Meaningful Life, or "life of affiliation", questions how individuals derive a positive sense of well-being, belonging, meaning, and purpose from being part of and contributing back to something larger and more permanent than themselves (e.g., nature, social groups, organizations, movements, traditions, belief systems).

PERMA: Positive Emotions, Engagement, Relationships, Meaning and purpose, and Accomplishments.