Kite Power Better Than Windmill

1 view

joe

Jun 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/5/99

-- I have a basic question.Could it be that a kite type wind power system is
better than a windmill (turbine) system?The reason i say this is because in
sail boat speed records the fastest boats use sails or kite sails.They don't
use turbine/windmill type sails.I'm using sailboat speed records as an
example of "real output".So why use windmills for power output.I know they
look very high-tech,but a large kite would be so much cheaper and i think
more practical and effective.I think there ar some basic dynamics that make
kites more practical/effective.can anybody explain why if windmils are so
great they aren't used for setting sailboat speed records?I'm thinking of a
two kite system hooked up to a generator.one kite pulls while the other kite
collapses,then visa-versa.this system can be used in a water powered system
too.I would be interested in hearing what you think or know!Joe D'Arcy

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Henk Everts

Jun 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/5/99
Hi there,

The idea isn't new, I have seen a simular idea a few years ago in a magazine.
You would have to think of a construction like the one you are thinking of, but
with a large number of kites or foils. Lots of problems to think of. Height and
the weight of the thing. Airplanes and how to make sure the two don't collide.
How to get it in the air en keep it there. Etcetera. Energywise no a bad idea.

Greetings,
Henk Everts.

Things that are impossible just didn't happen before.

joe

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
In article <37599653...@multiweb.nl>,

-- I've heard of Helium filled kites.So keeping the kite in the air is not
one of the prolems.Some of yhe kites used for pulling are the flexfoil and
the quadrifoil.Joe D'Arcy

Peter Owitz

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
How does one convert the kite energy, which is basically tension, into
useful mechanic energy?

Paul E. Bennett

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
In article <7jb7qs$7kt$1...@nnrp1.deja.com> rama...@my-deja.com "joe" writes:

> -- I have a basic question.Could it be that a kite type wind power system is
> better than a windmill (turbine) system?The reason i say this is because in
> sail boat speed records the fastest boats use sails or kite sails.They don't
> use turbine/windmill type sails.I'm using sailboat speed records as an
> example of "real output".So why use windmills for power output.I know they
> look very high-tech,but a large kite would be so much cheaper and i think
> more practical and effective.I think there ar some basic dynamics that make
> kites more practical/effective.can anybody explain why if windmils are so
> great they aren't used for setting sailboat speed records?I'm thinking of a
> two kite system hooked up to a generator.one kite pulls while the other kite
> collapses,then visa-versa.this system can be used in a water powered system
> too.I would be interested in hearing what you think or know!Joe D'Arcy

Not kite or windmill by any means but different;

A Trimaran exists which is powered along by solid wing-like structures that
are angled to the wind to provide power. The wing sections are vertically
mounted and controlled by computerto obtain optimum performance. It was,
I believe, no slouch.

The other idea for marine power was some sort of fan arrangement (again
vertically mounted) but I cannot recall all the details of that one.

Both of the above have appeared on "Tomorrows World" (a UK science TV
magazine programme).

--
Paul E. Bennett ................... <p...@tcontec.demon.co.uk>
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy

joe

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
In article
<cRj63.8504$mu5.3217@news.r
dc1.ct.home.com>,
"Peter Owitz"
<peter...@home.com>
wrote:

> How does one convert the
kite energy, which is
basically tension, into
> useful mechanic energy?

> Henk Everts wrote in
message
<37599653.69648D2E@multiweb
http://www.deja.com/
> >> Share what you know.
Learn what you don't.

--
In reference to peter owitz
question;When you pull

joe

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
In article <928630...@tcontec.demon.co.uk>,

p...@tcontec.demon.co.uk wrote:
> In article <7jb7qs$7kt$1...@nnrp1.deja.com> rama...@my-deja.com "joe" writes:
>
> > -- I have a basic question.Could it be that a kite type wind power system is
> > better than a windmill (turbine) system?The reason i say this is because in
> > sail boat speed records the fastest boats use sails or kite sails.They don't
> > use turbine/windmill type sails.I'm using sailboat speed records as an
> > example of "real output".So why use windmills for power output.I know they
> > look very high-tech,but a large kite would be so much cheaper and i think
> > more practical and effective.I think there ar some basic dynamics that make
> > kites more practical/effective.can anybody explain why if windmils are so
> > great they aren't used for setting sailboat speed records?I'm thinking of a
> > two kite system hooked up to a generator.one kite pulls while the other kite
> > collapses,then visa-versa.this system can be used in a water powered system
> > too.I would be interested in hearing what you think or know!Joe D'Arcy
>
> Not kite or windmill by any means but different;
>
> A Trimaran exists which is powered along by solid wing-like structures that
> are angled to the wind to provide power. The wing sections are vertically
> mounted and controlled by computerto obtain optimum performance. It was,
> I believe, no slouch.
>
> The other idea for marine power was some sort of fan arrangement (again
> vertically mounted) but I cannot recall all the details of that one.
>
> Both of the above have appeared on "Tomorrows World" (a UK science TV
> magazine programme).
>
> --
> Paul E. Bennett ................... <p...@tcontec.demon.co.uk>
> Forth based HIDECS Consultancy
> Tel: +44 (0)7971-620145
> Going Forth Safely

-- I'm trying to get at the basic fundamentals of why the windmill boats
don't seem to perform at the same top speed as afast sailboat or iceboat.I
think it as something to do with gear ratios for lack of a better term and
also angular motions.Joe D'Arcy

Paul E. Bennett

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
In article <7jdukg$ult$1...@nnrp1.deja.com> rama...@my-deja.com "joe" writes:

> -- I'm trying to get at the basic fundamentals of why the windmill boats
> don't seem to perform at the same top speed as afast sailboat or iceboat.I
> think it as something to do with gear ratios for lack of a better term and
> also angular motions.Joe D'Arcy

The examples "fan" driven boat I quoted was not built for speed. It was
experimental and intended for passenger ferry work IIRC. It was a somewhat
strange affair.

Since then we have had the vertical windmill which, if coupled to a generator
and linked to an electric motor could probably be aranged to get some speed
out of a suitable hull. If anyone has got some money they want to put into
such a project I have several ideas that might be worth looking at in this
respect.

I do not see why, given an efficient coupling of generator to motor, decent
hull swimming characteristic and good stability, a very fast windmill driven
craft could not be created.

Sails have a little bit of efficiency gain over the windmill motor
arangements due to the direct nature of the drive but the sails need to
catch the wind first.